Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 223013 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 14:24 BST (UK) »

Your search is coming along well Toni, did you ever find the records for your GD 'signing on' at the police station?

no i didnt find reocrds of his signing on, ::)

i said before he lookd into being naturalised but couldnt afford it.

I tried the border agency thinking as he was an immigrant they may have records but they don't they said its not an immigration issue  :-\

I know his brother Micahelo is about 6 years older than my grandfather was was last heard of in Leipzig
I also have his parents names. his mother died circa 1955 in a hiospital - but where i do not know -  it was thought she had died during the war.

i don't know now where else to look

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello johnbhoy,
Please excuse that I join the thread, but I think I have some good news for you and your wife. You're looking for the birthplace of G.F. Wall and you wonder if his name is anglicised or not. I think it's not. You have already found a guy with the same name having emigrated from Owen in the community of Kirchheim /Teck in Wurttemberg. Today there are still three different families living there and bearing the same name (German phone book: www.dasoertliche.de, fill in Wall in first place and Owen in second.)
So why not begin the search on the German side. You might send a letter to the community archive of Owen and ask the people there if they would kindly look up their registers in order to find your wife's forefather in their books (what would probably cost you some pounds, but these would be worth paying, when getting some evidence there.) The address is: Stadtverwaltung Owen, Einwohnermeldeamt-Archiv, Rathausstraße 8, D-73277 Owen. A second possibility would be to write to the protestant minister who could have a look in the church archive there: Pfarramt Owen, Kirchstrasse 3, D-73277 Owen.

Best regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello bongo ali,

most probably your forefather Henry Cutts was born in Germany as Heinrich Katz. This is a very common name in Wurttemberg, where most of the German pork butchers came from. The German name Katz was anglicised into the English version Cutts, keeping exactly the same pronunciation.
There are still several Katz families living in the area of Welzheim, for which I'll give you the following phone book link: http://www1.dasoertliche.de. Fill in Katz on the left and Welzheim in the right field. Click on Umkreissuche 25 km and you'll get 18 different Katz families.

Do you think, you've got a chance to find out your forefather's birthplace? that would make a search for him easier. And, by the way, all the Katz families in that area are Protestant, not Jewish.

Best regards
Histres

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Histres,

Thank you so much for that information - I appreciate any help I can get and your knowledge has certainly pointed me in a direction I otherwise would have found difficult if not impossible to find.
Do you know if there's a contact for me to write to (as per your advice to John re the community archive).
I'm guessing you're in Germany because of your advice?
Protestant, Jewish, Jedi or Vulcan ...I don't mind as long as I can find him!

Again, many thanks,
Ali

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello johnbhoy,
Please excuse that I join the thread, but I think I have some good news for you and your wife. You're looking for the birthplace of G.F. Wall and you wonder if his name is anglicised or not. I think it's not. You have already found a guy with the same name having emigrated from Owen in the community of Kirchheim /Teck in Wurttemberg. Today there are still three different families living there and bearing the same name (German phone book: www.dasoertliche.de, fill in Wall in first place and Owen in second.)
So why not begin the search on the German side. You might send a letter to the community archive of Owen and ask the people there if they would kindly look up their registers in order to find your wife's forefather in their books (what would probably cost you some pounds, but these would be worth paying, when getting some evidence there.) The address is: Stadtverwaltung Owen, Einwohnermeldeamt-Archiv, Rathausstraße 8, D-73277 Owen. A second possibility would be to write to the protestant minister who could have a look in the church archive there: Pfarramt Owen, Kirchstrasse 3, D-73277 Owen.

Best regards
Histres

Hi Histres,
               Many thanks for your post, very thoughtful of you. Please feel free to post any time.
A good idea of maybe looking for Christian Frederick in Germany. I'm not 100% sure if Christian was from Owen, so I'm just going to probe a little deeper first from this side of the water and if I can't get any further, then I will restart my search in Germany, very likely making a visit to Germany.
Thanks for the contact directory, it is very user friendly and thanks again for your post. If I make any progress I will keep you updated

Best Regards Histres

John  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello bongo ali,

to give you some advice for continuing your research in Germany would require to know the birthplace of your forefather Heinrich Katz (Henry Cutts). As there were (and still are) so many Katz families all over Wurttemberg it would be of no use writing letters haphazardly. Perhaps you can find his place of birth mentioned in one of the censuses. Better would be the Certificate of Naturalization but as that is not possible in your case, you can try to get the necessary information from the church archive in the parish where he married. Many German pork butchers were members in a German Protestant Church Parish. 
By the way, your guess was correct. I'm in Germany and I'm German, too, as my incomplete English may indicate.

Best regards
Histres

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 23:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Histres,
Thanks again for your help - I will try to find out if there is any additional information at the Church where Henry married (as there is no information of his actual place of birth on the marriage certificate I have).

Your English is fabulous - my German is non-existant beyond what I can remember from school, which is very little!

Thanks,
Ali

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
Can't get my head round anything in the NA, have requested a search for Naturalization papers, passenger lists and civilian internment, will cost a pretty penny, but will hopefully get a result  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline bongo ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I'm reassured that you struggled with The NA website - I couldn't get it to work for me either.  It's so frustrating.
I'll be extremely interested to know the results you receive from their search (and scarily what they've charged you!).
I've just recently sent off a search request to The Red Cross in Geneva (for any internment records they may have for my GGF).  That's not cheap either, but the way I look at it, if they have any information from his internment, what I have to pay to get it will be nothing compared to the price he and his family paid over the years he was locked away.

Ali