Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224278 times)

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 03 June 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Histres,
Glad you came back on here to post about the talk you gave in Salzburg. I was happy to have helped with the information on my family.
I am surprised that the topic has not been published before, about the fact that most of the German pork butchers came from Hohenloe. It's the sort of information that should be entered on Wikipedia! You could be famous if you write it up and put it on there.

About my two newly found relatives I told everyone about, well, they haven't been in touch since the first couple of emails. I'm wondering what happened. I suppose that's how it goes, maybe. You find someone in your family from a distance and then after the recognition it's all over. I had some photos sent to me and some new information but that's it, it seems. Anyway, I'm glad I know of them. That's a good thing to know.
All the best,
Bethgem
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Friday 18 June 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I've just popped back to tell you that I am in contact again with one of my new relatives. The reason was because emails sent did not arrive with me; they were 'lost', somehow. Simple things like that can send things awry. I have sent him all my research now, and so he will have plenty to read!

Hi Johnbhoy, yes your post has been read a lot! Did you get any joy from NA on a search on C F Wall? I hope so. It takes you a step further when you get good responses.  :)

All the best,
Bethgem

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 19 June 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethgem, the NA had no records of Christian becoming naturalized, so I guess I've got as far as I can with him, it's been fun though  :)

Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Sunday 20 June 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi johnbhoy, too bad you cannot go any further with your research into C F Wall. Will you allow me a joke? "Looks like you've hit a brick Wall on that one." Sorry, I should not take advantage. Hope you will forgive me.  :-[  ;)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Sunday 20 June 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
...LOL...the old ones are the best Bethgem   ;) :D :D :D :D
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline rebew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bethgem,

One of your "lost relatives" here. I enjoyed the package.

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Monday 28 June 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Have just discovered this thread and it is a fantastic read!

The book "German Pork Butchers in Britain" is today not available on Amazon.
However it is still possible to obtain "Germans in Sheffield 1817 - 1918" by Gerald Newton. It was published in German Life and Letters No. 46 of January 1993. (Gerald Newton is Professor of Germanic Linguistics at the University of Sheffield).

So - just google it to find it. It is un-putdownable!
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Trying to reach all extended family everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 03 July 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
Very interesting thread. My great grandfather Johann George Michael Rothermel and his two brothers came to England circa 1876 - they settled in Wellingborough Northants and ran Pork Butchers shops. One brother moved to Nottingham and later to Lancashire. We have traced the family back to 1427 in Wurttemberg with the help of the Archivist in Stuttgart. All info which we have gleaned so far is on our website, I didn't realise there were so many others out there with the same family background ! I have visited the village where they were born.

http://www.birdchildsandgoldsmith.com/acatalog/The_Rothermels_from_Germany.html

Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 03 July 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hello rothermelbird,

Welcome to the thread. You have got an extraordinary good website. It reads like kind of history book. I'm proud of having been able to give some information to Mr Frank who added it to your collection of basic archive material from Germany.
Just to realize where most of the "German" pork butchers originated from, go to the following website:

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/Arts/CRONEM/CRONEM-papers09/Wuestner.pdf.

If you wanted I could send you a map showing the area where the Hohenlohe butchers came from.
By the way: Bethgem, who posts in this thread, has forefathers who lived only 2 km away from the place where the Rothermels descended from.

Best wishes
histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland