Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224239 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #135 on: Monday 05 July 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Good Morning all or should I say Guten Morgen.

As you are aware, I have been trying to research my wifes Great Grandfather, Christian Frederick Wall since September 2006.

Just as I was coming up against a "brick wall" (copyright Bethgem), I receive a reply from a family member of my wifes:

"For years I had laboured under the impression, like you, that my grandfather was Christian Frederick but in fact research carried out  revealed that he was called Karl Christian Frederick.  His German surname was Wahl.
Research also found that he was from a village called Hohebach in Wurtemburg which is about midway between Heidelberg and Nuremburg.  I know that he was interned on the Isle of Man during WW1
"

Looks like I'm off and running again....

Johnbhoy  ;D
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Trying to reach all extended family everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:00 BST (UK) »
This latest post is amazing ! Seems like it may be Horlebach the same village as the Rothermels came from! Although I must admit there is a Hohebach as well in the same area!We were told there were transcription errors on the early UK census sheets ours look remarkably like 'Henlibach a/a Hall' untill proved otherwise. Schwäbisch Hall was just called 'Hall' in those days.
Whilst we were in the village and talking to the very elderly Mrs Ziegler not only members of her own family emigrated to Sheffield but she told us most of the young men in the village had left. She was the one who later sent us the historic postcards of the village which appear on our website.
Can anyone advise me as to where I can find passenger lists or immigration lists from Germany to Britain around the years 1875/6 ? Have tried everything on Ancestry.com but drawn a blank so far. My ggfather married the Innkeeper's daughter in Sept 1877 so our three brothers must have arrived before that.
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Monday 05 July 10 15:54 BST (UK) »
Great news Johnboy.

Hohebach is near to Dörzbach from where a number of my "Bauer (Bower) relations came from. In search, search, search again I related how I tied them up to my Pfisterers.

Looks like Rothermelbird, you and I and some of the others should meet up there!!!!

Strange, at the weekend, after hitting a brick wall in Yorkshire, I started looking up the Walls, thinking maybe if you search "forwards" you might find something.

This I found today though:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/wall/messages/3508.html

It says "Wall" (and there are thousands of them that married around London). However, if you put in Joseph Fackler Jun 1901, you'll see he married a Wilhelmina "Wahl".

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 05 July 10 16:37 BST (UK) »
Your site is beautiful and very interesting Rothermelbird.

Yes, there's a Hörlebach and a Hohebach. Hohebach is now a part of Dörzbach, if I've read it correctly. However, Hörlebach is not far away.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 05 July 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the compliment - 2 or 3 years of very hard work!
Whether it was Horlebach or Hohebach it is all in the same area of Wurttemberg and according to our German friends was always the poorest agricultural area for centuries.
There was no other work than rearing animals and the land. one of my Rothermels married a Bauer from the same village, I took a photo of their house which is still standing.   
It's a lovely unspoilt area with some fantastic ancient buildings, we're stopping off in Pforzeim this year on our way to Italy, hoping to stay nearer Stuttgart on the way back and do some more sightseeing !
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 05 July 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
Rothermelbird have you looked for passenger lists on the German ancestry site, there is a translate button   http://www.ancestry.de/
You may also try the NA, but when I contacted the NA they mentioned that their passenger lists were not the best.

SwissGill, thanks for the reply, I google earthed Hohebach and it did not come up with a place, but Dorzbach was definitely on there  :)
When I finally trace Karl Wahl, my wife and I will be making a trip there soonest, and as you mentioned SwissGill, that's a nice suggestion to meet with other rootschat(ters) if anyone wants to meet up around that area.
The name Wilhelmina must have been popular, as Karl Christian Frederick named one of his daughters with the name.
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Monday 05 July 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks johnboy

I do belong to Ancestry.co.uk which has all the incoming Passenger lists the unfortunate thing is it's in two parts 1826 - 1869 and 1878 - 1960 for some unknown reason completely missing out the 10 years when the Rothermal brothers came over - we estimate around 1875/6.
Also I can't find anything on the naturalization records for my ggf who definitely was a British citizen on the 1881 census but his younger brother remained a German throughout his life.
It's funny with names - different spellings as you say to Anglesize things. I had a 'coup' when after much research found WW1 records for a couple of the sons, Fritz calling himself Frederick and Carl calling himself George Ruthermel,  I have put my findings on the website.
Half way down the page.

http://www.birdchildsandgoldsmith.com/acatalog/Birds_&_Goldsmiths_in_London_WW1.html
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Monday 05 July 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Great, johnbhoy! I'm pleased for you, having that news. That "brick wall" is now smashed down!
I have seen the German name "Wahl" spelt that way before and was too shy to suggest to you to try looking it up. I now I wish I had mentioned it. Best of luck in your new searches.
Bethgem
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Monday 05 July 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks johnboy

It's funny with names - different spellings as you say to Anglesize things. I had a 'coup' when after much research found WW1 records for a couple of the sons, Fritz calling himself Frederick and Carl calling himself George Ruthermel,  I have put my findings on the website.
Half way down the page.

http://www.birdchildsandgoldsmith.com/acatalog/Birds_&_Goldsmiths_in_London_WW1.html

I was looking at that page yesterday, and noticed Fritz Martin. First of all I thought he was in a Scottish regiment, but his medal card and the shoulder epaulets say the Northumberland Fusiliers.
If you have a spare 10 minutes, look up the Haffners of Burnley, they're sons also fought for the British. They still run a butchers shop in Burnley.  :)