Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224266 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #144 on: Monday 05 July 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Great, johnbhoy! I'm pleased for you, having that news. That "brick wall" is now smashed down!
I have seen the German name "Wahl" spelt that way before and was too shy to suggest to you to try looking it up. I now I wish I had mentioned it. Best of luck in your new searches.
Bethgem

...you don't strike me as being the shy type Bethgem  ;D  I'm looking back to previous threads, and Toni* actually questioned if the name had been anglicized and I completely forgot about it..doh!! Lets see how far I get this time...it's only taken 4 years!!!
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
...by the way, Bongo Ali, Toni* and all other posters...how are you guys all getting on, any progress??
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
Great, johnbhoy! I'm pleased for you, having that news. That "brick wall" is now smashed down!
I have seen the German name "Wahl" spelt that way before and was too shy to suggest to you to try looking it up. I now I wish I had mentioned it. Best of luck in your new searches.
Bethgem

...you don't strike me as being the shy type Bethgem  ;D  I'm looking back to previous threads, and Toni* actually questioned if the name had been anglicized and I completely forgot about it..doh!! Lets see how far I get this time...it's only taken 4 years!!!
I'm not really shy, in the bashful sense! I should have said I was shy of, as in inclined to avoid. Four years is a long time in this business, and I hope you find it soon.
Bethgem
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Below is from an email I received this morning from a family member -

"I know from my father that KCF was interned on the Isle of Man.  It put quite a strain on the family at the time as the main breadwinner was gone and there was no welfare state to look after them.  A couple of the older boys were old enough to work but Grandmother had to rely on help from the Salvation Army.  Both her and her daughter, were committed Salvationists for the rest of their lives".

This morning, I requested for paid research to be carried out by the NA for the record at Knockaloe Internment Camp of Karl Christian Frederick.

The Internment records are on FO 383 and the system is not user friendly, but it does give the following insight into conditions at Knockaloe -

A number of these were unsatisfactory, and the bulk of the internees came to be housed on the Isle of Man, at Knockaloe and a smaller camp at Douglas. The alien civilian camp at Knockaloe, near Peel, was originally intended to house 5,000 internees, but by the end of the war some 24,500 were held there (effectively over half of the island's population), in wooden huts

I'll post my findings when I receive the reply from the NA

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Is anybody a member of the Anglo German Family History Society (AGFHS). I applied for membership by credit card and was redirected to www.genfair.com but there was no membership page  ???

Offline Bethgem

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandfather and helpboy at his Congleton shop
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
True Johnbhoy, I checked it too. I gave my relative a mention of that website but I see now that it isn't available. Someone else might know what has happened with it... ???
Green (Grün) - Hohenberg, Württemberg, Germany
Weber - Ingelfingen, Germany
Also in Congleton, Cheshire, UK

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Bethgem, I'll pm Scrimnet or Berlin-Bob, they seem to be the people in the know  :)

Offline Jim Greig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 10 July 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
HI all

I've just been forwarded a link to this topic by another Rootschat member.

Has anyone come across the Dreher family of Derby? I have a John Frederick Dreher c1816 Germany who married in Derby in 1835. He was a Pork Butcher. He died as a result of consumption in 1853.

His wife Elizabeth (ms Wathall) died in 1872. A small entry in the Derby Mercury, Wednesday 1st May 1872. Births, Deaths and Marriages Column read...DREHER, APRIL 17, Elizabeth Dreher, widow of the late John Frederick Dreher late pork butcher of this town, aged 54 - also recently supplied by a Rootschat member.

Their son Henry (c1838 Derby) may also have been a pork butcher.

Greig - Coltbridge/Edinburgh/Ayton/Earlston/Carlisle/Sheffield/Manchester
Walker - Altrincham/Manchester/Salford
Hunt - Redhill/Earlswood/Dover
Dreher - Derby/Salford/Manchester

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Saturday 10 July 10 15:04 BST (UK) »
HI all

I've just been forwarded a link to this topic by another Rootschat member.

Has anyone come across the Dreher family of Derby? I have a John Frederick Dreher c1816 Germany who married in Derby in 1835. He was a Pork Butcher. He died as a result of consumption in 1853.

His wife Elizabeth (ms Wathall) died in 1872. A small entry in the Derby Mercury, Wednesday 1st May 1872. Births, Deaths and Marriages Column read...DREHER, APRIL 17, Elizabeth Dreher, widow of the late John Frederick Dreher late pork butcher of this town, aged 54 - also recently supplied by a Rootschat member.

Their son Henry (c1838 Derby) may also have been a pork butcher.

I haven't came across that name Jim but will keep a look out.
I notice you have Carlisle as a named city....did he work there or is that another family?