Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224261 times)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #261 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
I wonder if someone might be able to check to see if Christiane Friedrike Röger (born 23 MAY 1858 in Niedernhall, sister of Karl Friedrich Ernst Röger and daughter of Christian Karl Röger and Christina Friederike Dünger) did in fact die 10 JUL 1859 or might she be Frederike of Ulverston?

Hello glen_roger,
According to the attached list of children, Christiane Friedrike (child No. 3) was born on 23rd May 1858  and died on 10th July 1859. That means she died in infancy and can't be identical with Friedericke Röger from Ulverston.

Kind regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
My attention was drawn to the Kramers because I thought they might help with my Ebert ancestors - Frederick Kramer (pork butcher) married Mary Ann Ebert (daughter of Frederick Ebert) in 1844 in Sheffield....-....and have found a Johann Michael Ebert as a miller in Hurden near Bachlingen.

Hello Kathiesummers,

Thank you very much for the drawing of Pinstone Street.
It seems, that the Kramers I found might not be the right ones. Anyway I will send you the pics. Just write me a personal message with your e-mail address and I'm going to send them to you via e-mail because I haveare several photzos and they are in a high resolution.
The Frederick Ebert you found as a miller of Hürden has nothing to do with your forefathers. Ebert is a very common name in the area of Hohenlohe. They often were millers in different villages. You can take as granted that your Frederick Ebert and his brother Christian Ebert both originated from Künzelsau. I might find evidence some day.

Kind regards
Histres

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: Friday 24 June 11 09:31 BST (UK) »
Ebert is a very common name in the area of Hohenlohe. They often were millers in different villages.

Hello Kathiesummers,
There were many Ebert millers around in the Hohenlohe area. They formed a real dynasty on mills. There was also a Frederick Ebert with his wife Eva Maria on the mill in Bächlingen in 1833 like the plate below shows.
Best wishes
Histres

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathiesummers,

Just a short note. I found your forefathers you were looking for in the Künzelsau church archive; the Ebert brothers as well as Frederick Kramer (Krämer). Here is what the archive entries say:

Johann Michael Ebert, born in Künzelsau on 27th January 1771, married in London (7th child);
Christian Friedrich Ebert, born in Künzelsau on 9th August 1775, married in London (9th child).
Parents of both:
Johann Andreas Ebert (1729 - 1803), baker and publican of the "Tankard Inn" and Magdalena Leicht (1735 - 1805), daughter of Augustin Leicht, butcher and publican of the "Horse Inn".

Christof FRIEDRICH Krämer, born in Künzelsau on 6th August 1810, butcher at Sheffield, died there on 2nd December 1873.
Parents: Christian Heinrich Krämer (1777 - 1853) butcher in Künzelsau (his father was a butcher, too, and publican of the "Rose Inn") and Maria Margaretha Kraft (1783 - 1844), daughter of a butcher in Künzelsau.

You see, your forefathers descended from long-established Künzelsau butcher and publican families, that married into each others families and formed a strong business network.
The Eberts and the Krämers were related, too. An older brother of the two Eberts mentioned above, took over the "Tankard Inn" and was married to the sister of Christof Frederick Krämer's father.

I will send you copies of the entries as soon as I have time to do so.

Kind regards
Histres

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 18:06 BST (UK) »
Outstanding post Histres
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Kathiesummers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Histres, you are a complete star!!    :-*

The marriages in London (how amazing that those are recorded!) and the Kramer connection mean that it's definitely 'my' Frederick EBERT.  And to think that only a few weeks ago, all I knew was that he was most probably German!

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Sunday 02 October 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
After 2 years of waiting for an answer from the IRC, it looks like I may be getting a reply soon.
Histres, I'll mail you when ever I get a reply my friend  ;)

Geneva, 07.09.2011

Concern: Information request for Christian Frederick WALL

(Ref.: AAG-002030)

Dear Sir,

We refer to your request dated 08.07.2009 seeking information about your great-grandfather, Mr Christian Frederick WALL.

We would like to remind you that since October 2009, individual searches for people held as prisoners of war or civilian internees during the First World War are subject to a contractual fee of 200 Swiss francs. However, and as before, there is no charge for unsuccessful searches.

In case of positive result, payment must be made by credit card.

If you wish to maintain your enquiry and you agree to the conditions set out above, please provide us with:

- your credit card number and type (Visa or MasterCard only)

- its expiry date (not less than six months of validity remaining)

at our postal address (Attn: Archives Division) or by e-mail (gva_cim_aim_pta {-at--} icrc.org).

If we do not receive a response from you within eight weeks, we shall consider your request cancelled.

We stay at your disposal should you need additional information.

Yours faithfully,

Magali Chahlaoui-Girod

ICRC Archives

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace {--at--} with @
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline MeenzHunters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Sunday 02 October 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching my own family tree and have stumbled across German Pork Butchers...

'Mine' are from Wakefield and the names are Meenz and Schwab

(on the NA website they have naturalisation papers - does anyone know what info they can provide?)

the online index says that the families originally came from Wuertemberg.

I would be grateful for any advice anyone can give to me in pushing my research back.

Best wishes,

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Sunday 02 October 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Good evening Johnbhoy,
It's great to hear from you again my friend. The news you got are very promising. I hope the IRC archives can deliver you some substantial information on the internment of Christian Frederick Wall. I'm very excited to hear from you soon.

Best wishes
Histres