Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224451 times)

Offline rothermelbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Trying to reach all extended family everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #369 on: Friday 01 June 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks SwissGill
You're probably right I've found several Schonhuts on the databases one had an enormous shop in Rotherham employing quite a few staff and a couple of others in Yorkshire all Pork Butchers. I'll suggest this spelling to the people who contacted me. It will save Richard a lot of work for nothing! Histress probably has them on his database
Thanks again
Rothermel Germany
Bird from Sleaford Lincs
Childs from Penzance
Goldsmith from Suffolk
Butler/Rothermel UK

Offline BecGilbert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: Friday 01 June 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Dear Friends on Rootschat,
    This morning I received notices in my regular email that both Rothermelbird and Schoch had left messages for me, but when I clicked on the link provided, there were no messages.  
     I did manage to find a Rothermelbird message from February that proposed a solution to my question of my grandfather's illegitimate lovechild in the UK.  Rothermelbird said that the love child could have been with Franky Weller's employer's wife, Anna Beyer because Anna would have been 3 months pregnant when Franky left the country in April of 1894.  The child, however, was listed in the 1891 census and my family story said that he had the child with his employer's "daughter" -- which, I am assuming, must have been Caroline Geller, treated "like a daughter" as my grandfather claimed he was "treated like a son" by the employers (Johann Karl Beyer who became Charles Beyer in Yorkshire).
     I believe it may have been Histres or Rothermelbird who suggested to me that maybe the spelling of Caroline Geller's last name was altered in the census, that she may have been a Gohler (umlaut over the "o") and so I have been going nearly blind searrching the lists of Auswanderers from villages in Germany between 1886 and 1891 to see if there is a Caroline Gohler because the 1891 census said she was from Germany.  The only name like that in the lists so far is a Friedrich Gohler from Kocherstetten who emigrated in 1890 -- but no sign of a sister who also left that town.  Attacking the identity at the other end, Rothermelbird says that there was only one Caroline Geller in England and that she married there.  If I had her married name, I could try the 1901 census to see if she had any children listed that might be the lovechild.
                    Grateful for any help,
                              Bec Gilbert

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: Friday 01 June 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Rothermelbird,

You mentioned some Schoch's (butchers) in the north of England, do you have locations for them other than the one I know about in Sunderland 1901 and the one in Newcastle 1911 (both are my Grandfather).  I am very interested in any shop he may have owned/run between 1911 and 1914.

Thanks

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: Friday 01 June 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
BecGilbert,

Not aware of any post from me to you. I have been in contact with Swissgill, Rothermelbird and Histres for the most part.
Stay in the  Moment

Offline BecGilbert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: Friday 01 June 12 22:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Schoch,
     Don't know why the email I got told me you had something to say on a topic I was interested in unless it meant that every time anyone writes something about German Pork Butchers I am going to get an email.  I don't want to be a bother to anyone, just really want to learn more.

Rothermelbird said something interesting in a message he sent to me in February that I just caught up with today.  He suggested the rumored lovechild my grandfather sired in the UK could have been with Anna Beyer, one of his employers because she was three months pregnant when my grandfather left the UK.  Annie Beyer had a son named Frederick who was 7 years old in the 1901 census (born 1894, six months after my grandfather left the UK).  I thought that Rothermelbird couldn't be right because I only knew this morning about the Beyers' first child, Charles, who was 11 in the 1901 census.  (That would have been a long gestation -- from 1890 to 1894 when my grandfather left the country!) This afternoon I looked up the Beyers in the 1901 census and discovered their second son.  It's kind of funny to me that the Beyer baby who might have been Frank Weller's love child is named Frederick because I found a Frederick Weller who was born in 1891 at the Stone House Hospital (some kind of asylum that was taking in other-than-crazies at the time.  My grandfather had been in the UK since 1888 -- 3 years before this Frederick Weller was born. 
     And this Frederick Weller showed up in the 1901 census with must-have-been-adoptive-parents John and Laura Purkiss whose address was one of the cottages (2 Syles Cottage, Invicta Rd, Dartford, Kent) on the property of Stone House Hospital. John Purkiss is listed as a General Laborer (worker) on the 1901 census so he must have worked for the hospital.
     I thought that maybe Caroline gave birth but couldn't keep the baby boy in Yorkshire where she worked because of the shame of illegitimacy and that it would explain how my grandfather knew he had a son. -- named Frederick like Anna and Charles Beyer's son born 1894 -- but 3 years older than the Beyer baby.  Finding Caroline Geller -- who Rothermelbird told me got married but he didn't say her married name --is going to be major because Caroline wasn't working for the Beyers anymore by the 1901 census. (Fred Specht and Rose Hanoblanch were the employees then).   If anybody can help me to make sense of this illegitimacy muddle, I would appreciate it. 
     My best to all Rootschat folk,
                     Bec Gilbert

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: Friday 01 June 12 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi BecGilbert,

As you are a contributor to the "thread" whenever anyone adds a comment you will get notified of their post. ::) That way any information being discussed, whether or not it is connected to your interest, appears on the thread. Sounds complicated but believe me sometimes it is what others are saying that can give you clues as to where you should direct your inquiries.  :)

Good Luck
Stay in the  Moment

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: Sunday 03 June 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
As there are many new contributors to this topic, I would like to remind everyone,
that I have collected some links to other RootsChat topics here:
RootsChat Topics: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,509347.0.html

And - a long shot ....
I'm also in a german family history forum, so I've added a topic there, in the Baden-Württemburg board,
listing some of the names and places mentioned here, with a link to this topic.

Like I said, a long shot, but maybe something will come of it :)

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: Sunday 03 June 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Has anyone heard of a family of butchers in the Oldbury (Birmingham), area around 1939, called Chas Spalding & Sons (butchers). My Grandfather (Friedrich Schoch) is listed as working for them in an Internment Hearing document.

Richard
Stay in the  Moment

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: Sunday 03 June 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

According to this link he was a horse slaughterer:

http://www.cradleylinks.com/kellys_1932.html

Maybe he had a butcher's shop as well? I'll look through the Birmingham directory.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W