Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224435 times)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #468 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Hellhappy,
The birthdate of your great grandfather should read 15 April 1872.
In Sue Gibbons' book "German Pork Butchers in Britain" there is a reference on "Henry Grader of Hermuthausen" on page 83. There the cencus of 1891 is quoted for:
Henry Grader, boarder, unmarried, 18 years of age, pork butcher, born in Hermuthausen, living at 3 Bridge Street, Framwellgate, Durham.
In Hermuthausen, the Gräter family are still living in their original building. It is an impressive half timbered house. I will contact them and ask if you can visit them to see your forefather's birthplace.

Best wishes
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 13:32 BST (UK) »
As per Histres reply: Sue Gibbons book - German Pork Butchers In Britain, ISBN 0 9537734 4 2, may still be available from the Anglo-German Family History Society, reprinted with amendments in October 2002
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline schwabsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 20:22 BST (UK) »
Re the aforementioned book.If anyone has a copy,please could you look if there is any mention of the Schwab family from Kunzelsau.If so I may buy it.Thankyou

Offline hellhappy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: Thursday 29 August 13 16:54 BST (UK) »
Re:
In Hermuthausen, the Gräter family are still living in their original building. It is an impressive half timbered house. I will contact them and ask if you can visit them to see your forefather's birthplace.
@
Histres

Thanks so much! Yes did mean 18 not 19 on that date :) it would be amazing to meet graters from Germany and see the house if possible! Thanks so much for offering to try whatever the outcome. All the advice and information is greatly appreciated. We would be in the area 5-6th Sep for a few days. Looking forward to your reply, Helen

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: Friday 30 August 13 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Hellhappy,
I talked to the Gräters of Hermuthausen today. They know about the emigration of your GG grandfather. They also told me that a daughter of him was married in Australia or New Zealand. This was your grandfather's aunt and probably the person who influenced his decision to go to the Australian continent, too. The Gräter family are happy to welcome you. But they should know what you mean by "for a few days"? Do you mean the days 5. - 6. September or do you mean you will arrive on one of these two days and stay in the area for a few days afterwards?

Regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline hellhappy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: Friday 30 August 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
That is amazing! Thank you so much! We will arrive late on 5th but will have the 6th and 7th as free days so if there is a preferable day and time we can work in with them. Unfortunately we do not understand German, do any of them speak English at all? Thanks again this is an amazing opportunity for myself and my father who have had so much trouble finding our German heritage.
Regards, Helen

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: Friday 30 August 13 16:26 BST (UK) »
Re the aforementioned book.If anyone has a copy,please could you look if there is any mention of the Schwab family from Kunzelsau.If so I may buy it.Thankyou

I didn't see any mention of the Schwab Family in the Sue Gibbons book, nevertheless, it is a very interesting read schwabsearcher   :)

Offline schwabsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: Friday 30 August 13 17:47 BST (UK) »

I didn't see any mention of the Schwab Family in the Sue Gibbons book, nevertheless, it is a very interesting read schwabsearcher   :)
Thankyou for looking Johnbhoy.I will look out for it on Amazon.I looked recently and it was not available.