Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224297 times)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #477 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Schwabsearcher,
you needn't buy the book "German Pork Butchers in Britain" at Amazon's, you can directly purchase it from the editor, the Anglo-German Family History Society. The following link guides you to their bookshop. The current price is 9.99 Pounds Sterling.
At Amazon's it's offered for unbelievable 1,200.24 Pounds Sterling.

Regards
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: Friday 30 August 13 19:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry,
I forgot to add the link.
Here it is: http://www.agfhs.org/site/index.php/publications/bookshop-contact.

Histres

Offline schwabsearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: Friday 30 August 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Histres

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: Friday 30 August 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately we do not understand German, do any of them speak English at all?

Hello Hellhappy,
One of the Gräter's family members is able to speak a bit of English, so there should be the possibility to communicate a bit and to exchange some information. Moreover, it must be an extraordinary and sentimental feeling for you to see the house in which your forefathers were born and to get to know your relatives.
I would have liked to accompany you and do some interpreting when you are visiting the family, but unfortunanetly I will be at Hinckley in England to take part in the Halsted Trust conference " Exodus - Movement of the People" from 5th till 8th September. See the following link: http://www.exodus2013.co.uk/

Best wishes
Histres

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: Saturday 31 August 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
Very well written and informative article Histres, thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading that. Brilliant photo of the mural with the dog stealing the sausages  ;D ;D ;D  http://www.exodus2013.co.uk/german-pork-butchers-in-britain-3/                     
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: Sunday 01 September 13 17:29 BST (UK) »
I just want to say a public thank you to Histres for all his help in my family research, which culminated last week in me visiting the very house (mill) where my great grandmother left in the 1870's in Neuenstein.  It was awe inspiring, thrilling, wonderful . . . and something inside me now feels at peace. :)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: Monday 02 September 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
I just want to say a public thank you to Histres for all his help in my family research, which culminated last week in me visiting the very house (mill) where my great grandmother left in the 1870's in Neuenstein.  It was awe inspiring, thrilling, wonderful . . . and something inside me now feels at peace. :)

Great post, and I agree 100%, a lot of us would still be searching if it wasn't for the assistance of Histres  :) :) :) :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
FAO Berlin Bob.

I was updating some comments in the Wahl German Pork Butchers DBSIG this morning, and I was wondering, if in the future, there will be an option to add BMD certificates, photos, etc. Just a thought  :)

Offline Whispey Willow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: Sunday 22 September 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,    It seems that I am a descendent of a German Pork Butcher. John Frederick Dreher of Derby. I am visiting Derby in October and will be checking out the Silk Mill. Most of my Derby female family members worked there. My grandfather was a Gunston and lived in Eagle Street. John Dreher was his Grandfather. I'd love to know more about him.