Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224466 times)

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #495 on: Sunday 06 April 14 16:35 BST (UK) »
ok!  all interesting.    inwardly digested, will try to improve my bits . . ..  .   over and out!

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
New German PB ID:1955 EBERT, Georg Heinrich of Dörrmenz
« Reply #496 on: Sunday 06 April 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
All,

I have just added a new PB to the database, ID:1955 EBERT, Georg Heinrich of Dörrmenz.

He is the nephew of PB ID:1952 WEIDNER, John Michael and his brother PB ID:1954 WEIDNER, John Andrew.  He is also the nephew of PB ID: EBERT, Heinrich Friederich.

The familial connection between the Weidner and Ebert families appears to come from the marriage between Maria Margareta Ebert (Heinrich Friedrich's eldest sister) and a Johann Georg Weidner on Aug 2, 1808 in Oberaspach, Würrtemberg (Source: Deutschland Heiraten 1558-1929, via FamilySearch).

While entering data into the database I noticed a quirk in the Comments area.  If I do not insert links to other pork butchers, I can insert considerably more text.  If I insert links I get limited to say 250-350 characters (well short of the 1000 possible) and my text is truncated.  For now I am removing links so I can insert more text.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Is there a workaround?

Cheers ... arky101
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)
Places: Dörrmenz, Bächlingen, Lensiedel, Gerabronn, Kirchberg an der Jagst

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: Monday 07 April 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

While entering data into the database I noticed a quirk in the Comments area.  If I do not insert links to other pork butchers, I can insert considerably more text.  If I insert links I get limited to say 250-350 characters (well short of the 1000 possible) and my text is truncated.  For now I am removing links so I can insert more text.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Is there a workaround?

I've moved my answer to this query to
Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers in Britain - who can change it ?? 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=665952.msg5276442#msg5276442

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German Pork Butcher Frederick Wick or Wik In England 1790-1830
« Reply #498 on: Monday 07 April 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across the name Frederick Wick (possibly Wik in German)?

I have pretty complete England files on him from his marriage, children baptism records & his will so I am looking for a German connection.  He died in 1830 and predated a census that may have told us he was Foreign born or from Germany.

Here is what we know:
Born abt 1762 (age 68 when he died).
Married Easter Radley in 1790 in England.
11 Children all baptised at St Olave's Bermondsey, (London), Surrey all indicating he is a pork butcher.
Ran a pork butcher business on Bermondsey Street, Bermondsey 1790-1830.
Another PB ID:160 EBERT, Heinrich Friedrich married his daughter Louzea (Louisa) in 1816.

More details are available by looking at the entry ID 1956: WIK, Frederick (1762-1830)

I/we are making a couple of assumptions:
1. Frederick Wick (his anglicised name) is indeed German.
2. Henry Frederick Ebert (his anglicised name) probably apprenticed with him and possibly lived with the family as he would have been 15-16 years old when he arrived in England late 1804/early 1805.

;D Does anyone know the name of the 1st (by year arrived) German Pork Butcher in the listing?

arky101
Names: Ebert, Wick, Weidner, Gehrlinger, Haram (Norway), Harham (South Africa), Larson/Larsen (Norway, Canada), Green (Quebec, North Dakota)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: Monday 07 April 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I do simarly to you.

If I find far more information  than offered in the database, I set up a new entry. I would count on this that the original entry owner would eliminate his/her entry.

Unfortunately, a lot of pork butcher descendants do not feel as though they are supposed to be involved.

May I take this opportunity to say that you are all involved. Please join in.

Gill

Welcome aboard Jim  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1748 Map of Wurttemberg
« Reply #500 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Johnbhoy.

As part of my research I try to locate and use a period map to insert into my ancestral documents & records.  Today I located the map in the link provided below and among the details on it there are indications of the size of churches/parishes serviced in the communities.  A word of caution, the file is enormous ~190 Mbytes in size and can dramatically slow down it's viewing on the internet.  If you right-click on the image it will let you save it to your computer where you will be able to view it much more quickly.  The zoom aspect resolution is awesome and clarity of words is not lost as you zoom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F%C3%BCrstentum_Hohenlohe_Karte.png

Enjoy the image folks!
arky101

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: Friday 11 April 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
thanks for this, however, I'm a find-it-difficult-tech-wise person.  for me the resolution diminishes upon magnification. any tips?

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: 1748 Map of Wurttemberg
« Reply #502 on: Friday 11 April 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome Johnbhoy.

As part of my research I try to locate and use a period map to insert into my ancestral documents & records.  Today I located the map in the link provided below and among the details on it there are indications of the size of churches/parishes serviced in the communities.  A word of caution, the file is enormous ~190 Mbytes in size and can dramatically slow down it's viewing on the internet.  If you right-click on the image it will let you save it to your computer where you will be able to view it much more quickly.  The zoom aspect resolution is awesome and clarity of words is not lost as you zoom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F%C3%BCrstentum_Hohenlohe_Karte.png

Enjoy the image folks!
arky101

Great image Arky 101, have never came across that one before  :D :D :D
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline arky101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: Saturday 12 April 14 00:33 BST (UK) »
0113vanny,

I suggest you save a copy of the image to your computer hard drive and view it from there.  If you right click on the image, then select Save Target As, it will let you save the image.  Once saved on your computer, the file size should be 193,684 Mbytes in size (a very large file).  It will display significantly faster on your own computer.

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers ... arky101