Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224252 times)

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #513 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder if old inquests are available on line, or at least available to read. Does anyone know where I would look.
Also I will investigate the liverpool Echo which I am sure would also have reported the accident.

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 15:29 BST (UK) »
I can't wait for the next installment of this story!     what did they died of, the other family members?!    How our present lives have come to be because of slim chances of survival in the past!!!   

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 15:34 BST (UK) »
I am subscribed to FindmyPast and, not finding a death, or anything in the 1881 census, decided to just put his name in to their British Newspapers section which comes with the full subscription.

At least FindMyPast has made someone happy, even though the news was sad.

I will try and save it and can maybe then send it to you. I'll PM you when I'm ready and you can give me your email address.

I tried "Lancashire Online" but there was nothing. At least, I didn't find anything.

Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
I wonder if old inquests are available on line, or at least available to read. Does anyone know where I would look.
Also I will investigate the liverpool Echo which I am sure would also have reported the accident.

I am not well up on this but I'm sure someone from the Liverpool "Squad" can help you out.

Let me know if you are lucky with the Liverpool Echo and if not, I'll send you the one on FindMyPast. I typed the whole text. All it said more in the newspaper was that this was the second accident that people will remember as two men had also been crushed by a hoist in the warehouse. So maybe there will be some information to gain.

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
I can't wait for the next installment of this story!     what did they died of, the other family members?!    How our present lives have come to be because of slim chances of survival in the past!!!

Hello Vanny

When I first started researching, i was amazed at the number of "twins" I found on the baptismal registers. When I found "triplets", I started to investigate. Many families would baptize 2 or 3 or more children at the same time, regardless of thier birth Dates.

I found that very often one twin died in the early 1800's, or both.

It's part of the research that I find particularly interesting. Some women gave birth to about 4-5 infants who never made it past the first year or were stillborn. I also find it interesting that they gave birth to children from 20-45 years of age.

When one looks at "our" national tennis hero here in Switzerland, one can read that his wife gave birth to twin daughters about 2-3 years ago and has just given birth to twin sons. All seem to be doing well.

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 16:50 BST (UK) »

There is a Sugarbakers database which has been compiled by Bryan Mawer, a member of this forum:

http://www.mawer.clara.net/intro.html

Maybe Bryan would know something about the accidents at the warehouse in Liverpool, or at least could point you in the right direction to search.

Glll

P.S. I saw "Rae" from Scotland on the database and seem to remember you had had contacts on RC about this Name?

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
thank you for that re garding babies and birth.  I too have noticed the long long amount of years women gave birth in.    Often there seem to be long gaps, say of 10 years between siblings. maybe there were miscarriages or early deaths not notified?  were people supposed to ALWAYS notify the authorities of a death?   an infant death too?   or was it optional. ?

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Outstanding research Gill  :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the mention, Gill, and thanks for the extract regarding the fatal accident.

I'll add detail from it to the other 200+ sugarhouse deaths I've recorded on the Fatalities page on my website at  www.mawer.clara.net/fatalities.html .

I'll be interested to hear if an inquest is found, though it's very likely to simply record the death as 'accidental' ... they rarely held employers responsible for such sugarhouse accidents.

This is the first fatality I've come across for Tate's, though, which is quite interesting. I've checked the book about Love Lane - A Hundred Years of Sugar Refining, the story of Love Lane Refinery 1872-1972, by JA Watson - but the accident is not mentioned. It was right at the start of refining at Love Lane, and I would have thought it would also be written up in the Liverpool newspapers at the time.

penstemon5, I'll PM you regarding detail on birth certs.

Bryan
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017