Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224250 times)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #531 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
I have just found your discussion & would like to add that my husband is descended from Andrew Raab & Susan Gunn. His great grandmother was Margaret Raab who emigrated to Brisbane Australia & married Andrew Stewart. She died in 1944. We assumed he was born in Scotland & are really interested in this new info.
Thank you

It's definitely been a great discussion site for a lot of folk :) :) :)
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am glad to be of help. Roots chat certainly works to connect people!
Andrew senior(or Andreas) arrived in Glasgow from Germany between 1851 (I can't find him on that census) and 1856 when he married a German woman, a widow called Anna Bodden. She died in 1862 and he remarried another German woman, Anna Annacker also in 1862. She had a baby Andrew, who died at birth and she died 2 days later in 1863. He then married Susan Gunn later in 1863 and had 3 childres. They moved to Northwich in Cheshire between 1869 and 1871, when they appear on the census there.
They then moved to Liverpool, where he died in 1875 in an accident at the Tate sugar factory and their 2 girls went back to Scotland to live with their maternal grandmother before emigrating to Australia. Andrew junior stayed in Liverpool. Susan went on to marry John Rae in 1876 and had a baby Evelyn on 1881 but both died soon after.
I am still searching for the Raap/Raab family in Germany but no luck so far. Andrew snr's father was
Valentin, a farmer, and his mother was Magdalen Kebel. Andrew said he was born in Alphinstart, but this place never existed and must be a mis-spelling. I will keep searching!
I hope this is all of interest to you.
Regards,
I would be interested too in your family tree, to see the extent of their descendants!

Offline Trevene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much – you’ve pushed us back a generation & filled in many gaps. Family lore was that Margaret Raab told her granddaughter (my mother-in-law) that her own mother (Susan Gunn) died giving birth to twin sons? She always maintained she was a Scot. I don’t know anything yet about Susan Gunn’s parents.
As stated earlier Margaret Raab (1868-1944) married Andrew Stewart (1865-1943) in Brisbane & had 10 children.
(Matthew b1891, Francis 1893-1950, Ann 1895 - 1914, Eileen b 1892, Nellie, Thomas, Jack, Thelma 1910-1997 May b1906 & a son died at birth )
My husband Bill is Francis Stewart’s grandson.
Anderson,Appleton,Byrne, Corp,Farr, Fing, Griffiths, Gunn,Harrington,Lester, Mason,Minogue, Raab,Saxter, Shillam, Stewart,Sutherland,Vere, Weir,Welch, Wilson,

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Penstemon,
The village name "Alphinstart" must indeed be a misspelling or misreading. When I look at the name it occurs to me that it could be "Altensteig".
Best wishes
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Histres, I'll look into that. It's not a name I have met before.

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Trevene,
There are certainly a lot of twins in this family! Andrew Raab, the brother of Margaret went  to have 3 sets of twins in 4 years. Unfortunately 4 of the children and their mother all died within a few months in 1896.
One of the remaining twins is my husband's grandfather. he had 6 children and 2 sets of twins among his grandchildren.
Susan Gunn's parents were John Gunn,spirit dealer of 130 Saltmarket Glasgow and Ann Gunn nee McGinn(?). They came from Ireland (see 1861 Scotland census) and Susan had triplet siblings !

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:00 BST (UK) »
Trevene...sorry, twins not triplets. When I looked further, one of the 3 18 yr olds living in the house was the wife of one of the boys. Sorry
Penstemon 5

Offline Trevene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: Thursday 07 August 14 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks penstemon
I noticed in the 1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription that Ann Gunn (widow, 83) had besides her 2 granddaughters Annie & Margaret, a grandson Felix Cassidy, 15. Do you have any idea whose child he was? Or when Ann Gunn died?
Anderson,Appleton,Byrne, Corp,Farr, Fing, Griffiths, Gunn,Harrington,Lester, Mason,Minogue, Raab,Saxter, Shillam, Stewart,Sutherland,Vere, Weir,Welch, Wilson,

Offline MrsBuckers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi . I am new to this rootschat and wondered if anyone could help me ,. I am trying to trace my German ancestry. I have traced my roots back to John Kober ( born c 1849) and Rose Kober (b 1852) who were married and cited their place of birth as Germany. They came to live in Sheffield an on his naturalisation form he stated he was a pork butcher . This was also mentioned on the census forms . Does anyone know how to trace record back in Germany ?
I am interested for medical reasons to see if they were Ashkenazi Jews - the surname would suggest so  - but not being a pork butcher!
Any help much appreciated
Thanks