Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224305 times)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #594 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil,
Welcome to the thread. I'm sure Bryan can help you a lot with his information. You know, the Meyers originated from Künzelsau in Hohenlohe. If there is any need to get information from there, going back into the early 19th, late 18th century, I could tell you which institutions are the right ones to turn to on the German side.

Best wishes
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
GeorginaO, the attacking and looting by mobs during WW1 on your Great Grandparents and Grandparents was a recurring theme in Britain and Ireland, very sad  >:(
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline meyerp1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Histres,

Thank you for the message. That's really helpful thank you! The family did keep in touch with the German side of the family until just before WW2 and then unfortunately lost contact with them. I've always been intrigued as to what happened to them!
Our understanding was that the family originated from a place called Schorndorf, so it's interesting to read of Hohenlohe. I'll have a read up!

Phil

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil,
At the beginning of the 19th century the Meyers definitely lived in Künzelsau. The Wellington pork butchers emigrated from there. I'm sure that the material you get from Bryan will give you some evidence. However it may well be that descendants of the Künzelsau Meyers or even retiring English Meyers had moved to Schorndorf in or before the 20th century.
Regards Histres.

Offline JEPease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: Monday 06 February 17 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I was delighted to find this online resource which looks extremely useful. I am the great grandson of Friedrich/Fred Plank born in Hollenbach, Baden Württemberg in 1884.  He was the younger brother of Carl/Charles  Plank (b 1876) and the two brothers came over to the UK sometime around 1898. Both were pork butchers in Sheffield, with my grandfather I believe working for Gibbard's near Bramall Lane.

Looking at the database, Richard Funk has entered some data for a Charles Plank which is definitely Fred's brother.  I was intrigued to see the entry :  -Assisting Friedrich SCHONHUT (c.1868) - 1891.  This must have been prior to leaving Germany which I would be very interested in hearing more about.  Also, I wonder if the Friedrich Plank entered by Histres is my greatgrandfather or a distant relative? Happy to pass on what information I have.

We are visiting Hollenbach in a week's time so any further information on the Plank Brothers would be much appreciated.

kind regards, James

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: Monday 06 February 17 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to the forum James. I believe, if you are new to Rootschat, as per Rootschat.com rules, you may have to make 3 posts, before people can send you pm's etc. Just reply back to this post mate to make it your 2nd post 
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline JEPease

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #600 on: Monday 06 February 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that- just one more post then I can PM people!

James

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: Monday 06 February 17 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hallo James and welcome.

Frederick Plank was born 25.12.1884 in Hollenbach to Friedrich and Katharina Plank and was baptised in Hollenbach on 18.1.1885. Ancestry has the Baptism details but I couldn't read Katharina's maiden name.

Charles Plank was naturalised and the names of his parents were Friedrich and Katharina. I will check the baptism records for him, too.

I will get back to you later in the day.

Best wishes
Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: Monday 06 February 17 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Good morning SwissGill,
Will it be possible for you to send me a copy of the Ancestry document on Katharina Plank's maiden name? I could also try to decipher it as I am perhaps more familiar with names that occur in the Hohenlohe area and also with the script that was used at the time. I'd be happy to help you.
Regards Histres