Author Topic: What happened to Worthy CROOK  (Read 8328 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
What happened to Worthy CROOK
« on: Monday 28 September 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find out what happened to Worthy Crook after 1861.

Worthy was born Beanacre / Melksham c1817.

He married twice, both times in London and had two daughters by his first marriage and a child that died in infancy from his second.  Both wives died and I last have him living in Bratton in 1861 with his eldest daughter Mary. Mary married Samuel Gifford in 1865 when she states that her father is a farm labourer so probably still in the area but after that I can't find any trace of him.

Not to get confused  There are two other Worthy Crooks in the family one bn 1837 who married Lucy in 1863 - he died 1909,  Also Worthy who was born in Lambeth in 1855 and died in 1880 at Arzu.

Thanks
Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Worthy CROOK
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 11:41 BST (UK) »
is this the correct worthy crook?
worthy crook bapt 5th oct 1817 melksham wiltshire parents listed as henry crook and mary.
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Alli

Yes thats 'my' Worthy,  I have him from his baptism until 1861 then he vanishes.

I haven't managed to find his daughter Eliza either who in 1861 I believe was a servant living at Old King Street, Bristol. (She was born in Westminster but christened in Melksham in 1847. ) His eldest daughter Mary (Gifford ) died in Sept qtr 1865 so he isn't likely to be with her!

Rosie

Offline Dale180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
I tripped across RootsChat and happen to notice you asked about Worthy Crook and some other Crook family names.  My name is Dale Crook and live is Alpharetta, Georgia but our family tree goes directly back to Worthy Crook and the Melksham area.  Do you know any members of the Crook family that still live there? 

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Which Worthy are you descended from?
If it is the Worthy that Rosie is seeking, then was it him that emigrated (thus answering her question) or did he have a son/grandson that emigrated to head up the Cooks in Georgia?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale

Welcome to rootschat  :)
As lizdb says which Worthy are you descended from.

I see that you have this information on another post
my family history goes back to a Eliza Crook in the Melksham, Wiltshire area

I would love to know how you link back to the Melksham Crook's  ;D  I know a few of them did cross 'the pond'

Thank you for your PM

Rosie

Offline Dale180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
All I can tell you what my father gave me which says 7. Worthy Crook (Henry, William) was born 05 October 1817. He married Mary Ann. She was born 1820 and died 25 September 1847 in Beanacre, Wiltshire.   
More about Worthy Crook: Christened: 05 October 1817, St. Michael & All Angels, Melksham (age 27).
Child of Worthy Crook and Mary is:  Eliza Crook, b September 1847 and was Christened: 26 September 1847, St Michael & All Angels, Melksham, Wiltshire. 

As far back as I see in what my father (William Salisbury Crook) gathered goes back to William Crook married Elizabeth Hill, 21 October 1777 in Woodchester, Gloucestershire, daughter of Henry Hill. 

I live in Georgia but my family is from & I grew up in Connecticut.  So are we on the same family tree?
Regards,
Dale Crook

Offline Dale180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Rosie
To answer your question how I go back to Worthy Crook? My father left me a stack of papers that lists what he researched. That said I don't see in these papers who first came to the States. However about 16 or so years ago some of our relatives from Melsksham came over to Connecticut for a reunion.  We had three small children at the time so it was very difficult for my wife and myself to concentrate on the presentation.  About 5-6 years ago my two cousins David & Larry Crook made the trip over to Melksham and visited relatives but I don't have names.  My wife and myself made the trip as well but I totally was turned around with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and chickened out driving from London to Melksham.  I will try to find out who made the trip and report back. 

Offline Dale180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Rosie
I believe I just found the answer to your question.  Charles Crook, b 28 January 1874 Broughton Road, Melksham, Wiltshire; d 10 July 1956, New Haven, Connecticut - Charles emigrated to Connecticut USA with his brother Edward.  He visited England in 1929 and returned to USA on RMS Majestic which sailed on 3/7/1929 from Southampton to New York via Cherbourg. With Charles on this trip were Pauline (wife) and Grace Joan LeMay (niece of Charles).  I also show Alfred Crook was born 25 April 1846 in London and died 07 August 1877 in Hamden, Connecticut, USA. These papers my father left me are very difficult to follow, I do know this, my father William Salisbury Crook was one of three from Charles Crook who died in the early 1970's - but I can't bridge my Grandfather  to Charles Crook that emigrated to the US.  Not yet anyway.
Regards,
Dale Crook