Author Topic: Help with Kerr in Paisley please  (Read 13177 times)

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Kerr in Paisley please
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
All my family are firmly rooted in Renfrewshire, mainly Paisley. Jean Hogg (1785-1864) was born in Paisley, the daughter of William Hogg who married Jean Blackwood in 1774 in Renfrew. William Gillespie (1819-1877) was also born in Paisley so it seems unlikely that your Gillespies & Kerrs are the same family.

Neither name is particuarly unusual so it wouldn't be surprising if different families from other parts of Scotland married each other.

B

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 March 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just done some checking with the IGI. My William Gillespie was baptised in Paisley & his parents are shown as William Gillespie & Jean Mair. However, there is also a William Gillespie shown who was born 11 Jan 1819 in Denny to Andrew Gillespie & Mary Smith. Andrew & Mary were married 23 Jan 1818. A parent search on Andrew & Mary shows, in addition to William: James b. 1820, James Smith b. 1830, Mary 1832, George 1840, Jane 1842, Elizabeth 1834, Janet 1828. These are all extracts so should be fairly reliable. There is no Robert but there is a Robert listed in 1826 as the son of Andrew Gillespie & Margaret Smith. This is also an extract so it looks as if it could be a mis-recording. These look most likely for your family.

B

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 March 12 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Blanched that certainly clarifies something I have been looking into.

Many Thanks.

T.

Offline Blanched

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 22 October 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know if any of you with an interest in the Paisley Kerrs are still reading these posts. If so, I have been re-visiting this part of my tree and have discovered the death of Sophie Mascot. She died on 25 March 1906 in the Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Paisley of uterine cancer. Her usual residence is given as 1 Calside Place (where her sisters-in-law also lived) and her death is registered by her son
M. T. (Martial Thomas) Kerr. The certificate no. is 573/1 Paisley no. 358. There are also probate records.

BlancheD

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 October 20 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Blanche. I'll PM you.