Author Topic: Help with location of "Holly Cottage, The Grove, Hampstead" in 1881 census?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with location of "Holly Cottage, The Grove, Hampstead" in 1881 census?
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!

My great-grandmother Sarah Jane HUNT, born on 17 May 1867 at The Common, Hadlow, Kent, is shown in the 1881 census as Jane HUNT, 14, a domestic servant in "Holly Cottage, The Grove, Hampstead", born in Hadlow, Kent.

I wonder whether anyone can help me locate this address by taking a look for other addresses on the same/nearby 1881 census pages - or in some other way?

(Unfortunately I didn't take a copy of the census page when I was a member of Ancestry and have no further information!)

I've looked on several web maps and A-Zs of present day London and some historical street name indices and can't find "The Grove" or "Holly Grove" in NW3 (present day Hampstead) or "Hampstead" in the historical indices.

I am wondering whether "Hampstead" covered Highgate (now London N6) in 1881 and so whether this might be what is now The Grove, Highgate, N6.  Or might it be something to do with Holly Lodge Estate, N6?

On the other hand it could be another name for one of the many "Holly..." addresses in what is now Hampstead "proper" (London NW3).

Or was "Hampstead" a much larger area in the 1881 census and might this address be somewhere else entirely?

I'd be very grateful for any help in determining where this address was as some of the possible options are spookily close to where I am now! 

Thanks very much,

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My gran and I in 1954.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with location of "Holly Cottage, The Grove, Hampstead" in 1881 census?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
HI there

I can help and will PM you

Carol x
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Help with location of "Holly Cottage, The Grove, Hampstead" in 1881 census?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
this is extracted from the Enumerators route and description - quite detailed!

Just a few street names / places highlighted here to give you a feel ...

Childs Hill, Platts Lane, Telegraph Hill, the Heath near North End Road, Branch Hill Park & Lodges to Branch Hill Mews .... Upper Terrace, Windmill Hill to the Grove and Golden Square with Silver Street.

Then returning to and taking Heath Mount School, then Heath Street .... then taking 'Holly Cottage', Caroline House and Mr Pincotts 6 cottages in the Grove .... then onto Holly Mount ... Holly Bush Hill. A mention of a Holly Bush Hotel....

all written out in a conversational style and alluding in many cases to the names of owners  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk