Author Topic: John BROWN - immigration  (Read 25320 times)

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
Re: John BROWN - immigration
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 09 06:59 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you - will get back to you - do have info - my g.g. grandfather was Thomas Brisbane Brown (one of John's sons)  John Brown died in 1888 Emu Plains. 

I do have the property info.  Just cant find when he came out - conflicting info - one newspaper article says 1821 - some of the family think it was 1829.

Will be back in touch
Thanks so much

Regards Debbie
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 October 09 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

If you check the 1888 death certificate it may show how many years he had been in the colonies.   ;)

Cheers, and thanks for your thanks.  Its what RChat is all about... helping each other, and I know what searching for John Brown can be like.  I've a John Brown and also a John Smith.  Solved my John Brown but not YET solved my John Smith....  ::).

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 09 07:57 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Online index at the NSW State Records, shows a deceased estate duty paid 1890  for John Brown of Emu Plains, death shown as 21 Aug 1888.  Also, there's the probate packet there for clues as to arrival etc.

Both these links give index info about your John Brown's estate.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/quicksearch.aspx

http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Search.aspx

I did not find any likely "candidates" on the 1841 lists, but these are definitely missing many pages.   

Also, was the property at Cannonbar named Kerry-Nyngan or similar.... I have found some of my hardcopy notes, and I crossed that property name off my searchings some ten years ago...  I can see I had written SHEEP and John Brown and 1869...

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Winalape

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Speaking on John Brown I have a query.
My John Browne with an E came from York to Geelong.
I have his marriage his birth but the only thing I cannot find is when he came to Australia and went to Geelong.
He was a law stationer in Geelong and an artist.
He married Jane Greenwood in England in 1847.
They had 2 children in England Anne & Isabel.
I cannot find any shipping records for them. Their next child Joseph Browne was born in 1855 in Newtown Geelong.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Offline History seeker

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 February 10 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie,

I have a little book on Canonba it has John Browns arrival as 1821. The book has 3 marriges for John Brown and list the children of each of the 3 marriages.
There is also a photo of John Brown , a photo of his headstone and a sketch of his homestead.
My 3x great grandmother was married to her first husband the same day as John Brown was to his second wife and he and his son John jnr were witnesses to the marriage.

hope this helps
Kristy

Offline adcor

• RootsChat Member
  • so long ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Firstly a very big thank you for all that have posted and helped me with information on my John Brown ;D ;D.  It is much appreciated.  Kristy - where can I get a copy of the book on Canoba.  I am descended from his first marriage to Ann Buckley.  Evidently all of his wives were Irish lasses.  He was married to her at Scotts Church Sydney.  Trying to find ships that arrived in 1821.  Thanks everyone .. Debbie
COOK HOWELL TREACHER TEASDELLLANE LIDDELL MCPHUN FERGUSON MORLEY HILDER BROWN CAMPBELL FOWLES WARTERS DAVIDSON-WORTHINGTON JOHNSTONE AUST. UK IRELAND Wexford - SLY  DOYLE ARMSTRONG MCGEE(scot)

Offline History seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 10 22:42 GMT (UK) »
I was in Nyngan a few years ago when I picked it up at the museum there. It is only a little book but it does have an interesting story about your John Brown and the pictures I said in my prior post.
Just re-read it in case it gave the ships name but no luck there.
I was given a phone number of a lady you can pm for the details and I will pass them on to you she may be able to get you a copy if not let me know.
There may be more information on John available at the Nyngan museum so it maybe worth giving them a call.
I hope this helped
HS

Online wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 10 23:43 GMT (UK) »

The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser  21 Oct 1880, also 28 April 1881 has John Brown with properties Mudhall, Mulla Mulla, Box Cowell, Cannonbar and Deruble(?). There is a John Brown MP for Jerrys Plains in this area 1880s

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

Offline History seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking is his ship listed on the 1828 census?
I can have a look tomorrow at the library if you like?
I found a cd today when looking for something else that forgot I had called "The free settlers of Australia 1788-1828" but allot of the John Browns don't have year of arrival just ships name.

regards
HS ;D