Author Topic: BRODIGANS DROGHEDA  (Read 17807 times)

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: BRODIGANS DROGHEDA
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I am so grateful for your help and yes it does help me a lot I do know they had a shop so that sounds promising myGG/mother whom I am trying to find out about was buried inWrexham and her niece did come over from Louth to take over the care of her children We have found out about her grave in Wrexham although buried in a Welsh churchyard she did have a proper priest who was R/C to bury her so we must be thankful for that,I did think she was R/C as I remember when I was 5 being taken to Drogheda by my mother and I remember going to this church with Cousins and I was often found there blessing myself by the minutes with the holy water!! not used to it you see  Many Thanks I feel we shall get somewhere and I have tried St Peters  but I feel I would have more luck if I went over myself to investigate  who knows I might get there in the summer  Thank you so much   Berniexx
Mulcahy Antrim Turner Wales Foster Liverpool Nisbet Scotland Brodigan Drogheda Thomas Wales

Offline historical

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bernie,

Really glad this was of some help to you, if you need anything else here just let me know, I have come across the name doing other research, so if I come across more I will let you know, by the way my name is Audrey, good luck in you quest!!

regards

Offline VH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernardine,
I did some research on your family.  I came up with the following:

Thomas Brodigan married Judith Gorman in Drogheda on 19 May 1841.

I found children:
 Mary baptised 6 June 1844 with above parents.
Thomas baptised 11 Feb. 1846  (Judith Gaurn - transcribed)
Also a possible Catherine 1851 and Ann 1856.  I did not check these (fee site).

In 1911 census (free online-google) there is a family living in townland called Port, few miles from Drogheda,  with Thomas as head listed as a retired grocer. Clue perhaps.
Have a look.  From the data on the original (view) he married 1882 approx.
However, he makes himself older (this was done by people nationwide to avail of a new pension that was introduced by Gov.) 

Also William Alfred Turner b.1874 to Mary Brodigan and Llewellan Turner in Drogheda.  Would like to forward to you but need to figure out  how to make contact direct.  New to site   VH

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 10 23:01 GMT (UK) »
thank you thank you yes its my lot at long last  Ive sent a private message   thank you so much its been a funny few weeks I was so pleased to find poor Marys grave in Wrexham it gave me a bit of closure although I feel i need to find her family because I am so upset at the way she was discarded by Llewelyn,so thank you it means a lot to me I am so grateful  thanks Bernadine
Mulcahy Antrim Turner Wales Foster Liverpool Nisbet Scotland Brodigan Drogheda Thomas Wales

Offline danielle brodigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 04:08 BST (UK) »
hey i am a brodigan and most of my family are from drogheda i was just reading your post there and some of it just sound at bit like my family  :)

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
the lady VH is the correct one for me  my relation was Mary who married a Llewellyn Turner also related are the Kindlans  Catherine Brodigan married a Bernard Kindlan in Drogheda and I know we used to stay with them she was Marys Sister

Offline 10lottie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Leech, Termonfeckin
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 August 11 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,   My  Grandfather John Norris Leech came to America in 1900 from
Termonfeckin.    My Cousin's daughter will be in Ireland August/September, 2011, and plans to visit Termonfeckin for a day.    She will be traveling by train and is interested in transportation from Drogheda to Termonfeckin.   
Are there any travel/guide services available?    In what cemetery would a
Catholic be buried if they died Termonfeckin, during the  period 1895 - 1901?   
Any information on the Norris family from Carstown/Termonfeckin would also be appreciated.

Thank you,
Charlotte

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 August 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
Most Catholics were buried in C of I g/yard in Termonfeckin in that period. You would need to get a taxi to Carstown (about 3 mile). There was an elderly man with the surname Norris in Carstown that lived near railway bridge. Any local would know where they lived if you knocked on a door.

It would then be about 1 mile to new cemetery on Sheetland Road, then a mile into Termonfeckin. Very little public transport but a good chance of a local driving someone down to the cemetery....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.