Author Topic: Gone Blank!! Aberdare!  (Read 2976 times)

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
  • WARNING - some family trees may produce nuts!
    • View Profile
Gone Blank!! Aberdare!
« on: Thursday 01 October 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
what county was Aberdare c 1850 please anyone???  gone completely blank!   :-[  trying to find birth there....
Jenkins, Morgan(s), Jones, Williams, Evans - Pontardawe

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Brooks - Neath & North Devon

Southwood - North Devon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gone Blank!! Aberdare!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 09 13:24 BST (UK) »
Aberdare is in Glamorgan - at least, I don't think it has moved!

:)

If you want to post the details here, I can move the thread for you?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 October 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Arranroots that would be great.  I'm trying to find the birth of my Gt Gt Grandfather, c 1831.  His name is Richard Jones. One of my problems is that according to census returns he changes the place he was born. In 1861 he gives his place of birth as Llanidloes, then 1871, 81 & 91 its Aberdare then 1901 its Neath!!!

He married a Mary James who was born Cadoxton juxta Neath. I cant find that marriage in the Neath area, but there are two possibilities in Merthyr in 1851 & 1852. But without knowing either of their parents names I'm not going to know if either of those 2 matches are right!!

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Southwood - North Devon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 October 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hmm I wonder if the Richard JONES you've found on censuses is the same chap each time - especially given that Llanidloes is in Montgomeryshire!

Can you post the details of his family - or at least the census references please?

We could do with finding him in the 1851 census, if you haven't already.

I'll move the thread meanwhile

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 October 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
ok here goes:_

1861 living in Neath Llantwit Lower
Richard age 31 born Llanidloes Montgomeryshire, engine fitter
Mary age 33 born Cadoxton Glamorgan
john age 9 born Aberdare
Mary age 7 born Aberdare
Sarah J age 4 born Aberdare
Zephaniah age 3 born Llantwit, Neath

1871 living in Llangyfelach
Richard age 39 born Aberdare, engineer hand
Mary age 43 born Cadoxton Neath
John age 18 born Aberdare
Mary age 17 born Aberdare
Sarah Jane age 15 born Aberdare
Zephaniah age 12 born Neath
Elizabeth  age 8 born Neath
Hannah age 5 born Llangyfelach

1881 living in High Street, Pontardawe
Richard age 51 born Aberdare, furniture dealer
Mary age 53 born Cadoxton
Elizabeth age 18 born Neath
Hannah age 16 born Llangyfelach
William age 11 born Llangyfelach
Daniel age 9 born Llangyfelach

1891 living in High Street, Pontardawe
Richard age 59 born Aberdare furniture dealer
Mary age 60 born Aberdare
Daniel age 19 born Languicke
Hannah age 26 born Llanguicke

1901  living in High Street Pontardawe
Richard age 70 born Neath house furnisher
Mary age 73 born Neath

I feel fairly confident I've got the right family throughout the census returns but its the little details that are stopping me going any further... I did find mention of a christening in 1829 of a Richard Jones in Llanidloes, son of John & Sarah, both names my relative uses for children, maybe coincidence I know.....
and again a christening in Llandinam, Montgomeryshire, 1829, son of John & Mary, again both his childrens names, and what throws a spanner in here is that while Llandinam isn't mentioned on any census return I clearly remember my grandmother use to talk about Llandinam because she would comment on how its should be pronounced properly!!!

Feel like I've hit a brick wall.  Havent picked up my research for over 6 months, and now I remember just why....  >:( !!!

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Southwood - North Devon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 October 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry to have doubted you - at first sight this certainly looks like the same chap throughout!

Will have a little play and see what we can see!

Have you got any of the birth certs for their children?  Zephaniah would be the one I would go for, if not.  That will give you a maiden name for Richard's wife, which should lead to a marriage and the fathers' names and occupations.

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Birth

JONES Zephania

Neath 11 474

June q 1858

Offline aderyndu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
 :)  Arranroots I'v never got a problem with someone else making sure I'm following the right line, went wrong once before....  ::)

I have got the birth cert of Zephaniah (belive it or not there were 2 in Neath in the same year!!) .

The mothers name was Mary James.  As she was born in Neath I thought maybe I'd find a Neath marriage but havent spotted anything.  There are 2 possibilities in the Merthyr area between Richard Jones and Mary James -  1851 & 1852. Their first child was born c1853 so either of those marriages are right sort of date, but as I dont know either of the parents names I'm a bit stuck.  Merthyr could be a possibility, not a terribly long way from Neath and heading up in the right direction for Aberdare where my family lived as census returns show first children born there.

Even if i went up to Merthyr to get the marriage certs I still wouldnt be any wiser as I wouldnt know which is the correct one!!

Williams - Bettws, Carms

Jones, Parker - Neath

Southwood - North Devon

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
That's awkward isn't it?!?

I saw the other Sephaniah, but he had a middle name, so I opted for the other one: hope that was right!

The key to this is hopefully Richard's occupation - but it might mean buying both marriage certificates in order to eliminate one.

In the census last night I found a Richard in 1851 whose father was an engineer.  That was the closest I found to a family that I "liked" - the majority of others didn't seem to fit.  Fathers were farmers or suchlike, which is perfectly possible but not helpful!

The other thing that often helps - which you've already mentioned - is a pattern of family names, but I didn't find one of those either.  At least nothing for definite. 

I hate being beaten by JONESes - I lose one of my main lines in Merthyr with just this issue!

Sympathies ...

;)