Author Topic: Thomasin ORAM - 1841 census look-up please.  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
Thomasin ORAM - 1841 census look-up please.
« on: Friday 02 October 09 16:00 BST (UK) »
My wife's great great grandmother' s marriage certificate gives her maiden name as Brain but a likely entry on FreeBMD gives it as Oram. The names are easily mistaken when written in the old cursive style.  On the death certificate her Christian name is given as Tamson but the entry in the 1851 census gives it as Fanny and the 1861 as 'Tamaline?' The 1881 census gives it as Tamson (the likely marriage entry gives it as Jamson) She was born in Martock about 1823. She married George Worner whose name is also spelt Warner. (If they had future genealogists in mind they obviously had a sense of mischief!!!).
There's no sign of any such Brains in Martock and I seriously suspect that my wife has no Brain in her ancestry except that the 1841 census may have been miss-transcribed! The entry for Thomasin Oram seems the best bet.

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasin Oram - 1841 census look-up please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Is this what you are wanting?

from image
HO107 951 1

North Street MArtock

Nancy 50 Ag lab Y
Mary 25 Y
Thomasin 20 Y 

surname indexed Oram but could well be Brain or Bran, or Brant, or Oram,  or indeed most things similar, from the image!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasin Oram - 1841 census look-up please. *Complete*
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. That must be the one. It's the right location and the right age. I guess I now need to find a marriage for Nancy Whomsoever! Whether or not my wife has any Brains still hangs in the balance!

Thanks again,
Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasin Oram - 1841 census look-up please.
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Just looking at 1851, which you say is under Fanny

H0107 1930 16 24

On the one I am using it is indexed Tammy, and indeed the image is reasonably clear as Tammy (well it is if you are looking for it, if you didnt have a clue as to her name then I can uunderstand that you might go for Fanny, after all Tammy isnt really an 1851 name!)

btw who was Thomasin's dad (from marriage cert)?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomasin ORAM - 1841 census look-up please.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Further back in time, but maybe who Thomasin was named after,

Marriage
ORAM Joseph
SWAINE Thomazin
Martock 19 Apr 1779

http://www.westcountrygenealogy.com/somerset/martock_1761to1812.htm

Regards
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Update! Re-visiting this confirmed that the surname is Oram. Thomazine/Tamson's sister shown in the 1841 census was the daughter of Ann Oram (Nancy is the familiar form of Ann). So without finding records  of the pursuit of someone for upkeep of the two children there is no knowing who the father was. So Joseph Oram and Thomazine Swaine do appear to be in the picture as the grandparents since they had a daughter Ann of about the right age. Joseph appears to be the son of Edmund Oram 'of Street' who as a widower, married the widow Martha Dymock in Martock. Previous spouses appear to be Mary Cassel and George Dymock respectively. It would be nice to know Martha's maiden name. No joy tracing Thomazine Swaine's parents.

Regards,
Phil

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:36 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Have you discounted this baptism?

Old Meeting House, South Petherton

Thomasin? daughter of John & Belly (Betty?) Swain of ??vington was baptized the 30 April

I can't see a year for this baptism on the image but going by the ones above and below it I think it would be 1753.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Daisy. I hadn't discounted it - I hadn't seen it. That looks very promising.

Phil