Author Topic: Capt. Charles William LeGeyt  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capt. Charles William LeGeyt
« on: Friday 02 October 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Is anyone related to this gentleman, born 1 May 1733 and died aged 95?

I have a commonplace book written by him in 1824 which contains several pages of genealogical information, and also several loose sheets of paper in later hands which partially updates it to the 1920s. I would be happy to make this information available to any relatives.

I am not myself related to him, I found this book in a Brighton bookshop some years ago.

Roger

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. Charles William LeGeyt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
How very interesting and exciting for someone. The nearest I can get is a Jean LE Geyt
Born    abt 1565 St Helier, Channel Islands, Jersey, Channel Islands on Ancestry One World Tree- looks like there are six people researching that name though not too sure as I don't fully understand how it works. Hope this is of some help. It would be so good to get it into hands of someone that it would really mean someting.  ;D
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, he was an interesting character. Quite a lot of information on Google under "Charles William Le Geyt" (with quotes)

Roger

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 October 09 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

There also appears to be quite a number of records held at the Jersey Archive on CWLeG.

I'll make some enquiries next week and see if anyone is researching him.

Stewart

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Thank you for your interest, and your help in finding someone from the family who is researching its history.

Roger

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
I have now discovered from Google Books that the Gentleman's Magazine for 1827 has an obituary for Capt LeGeyt, and that he died 12 March 1827 at St Helier in Jersey. The article is a column and a half, and very informative about his life.

It quotes his birthdate as 12 May 1733, but this discrepancy is because he was born before the adoption of the Gregorian calendar. He mentions this in his commonplace book, and relates that his birth date was "Old May Day".

Offline hermes1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear Roger,

Stewart Hill has just notified me of your ownership of the Commonplace Book.  He is now volunteering at the Lord Coutanche Library in Jersey where we hold a collection of local history and genealogical information for members of our Society and the general public. 

We have had queries on this Le Geyt gentleman before and it would be a real bonus if the commonplace book could be added to our existing collection.  Also we are aware that a gentleman called Guy Dixon is in the process of writing a genealogical book on the Le Geyt family, and obviously if the book were amongst our collection we would alert him to the fact. 

We are a registered charity and our website is www.societe-jersiaise.org

I look forward to hearing from you. 
Anna

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anna,

I am reluctant at this stage to part with the book itself ( though I fully realise it should rightly be in the possession of a society such as yours), my reason being that the information about the Le Geyt family is only a small part of the content, and the remainder is very much of interest to me.

However, I have photographed or scanned the parts relating to the family, and created from them a .pdf file of the pages containing reference and also the various loose pieces of paper which came with the book. If you send me by personal message an email address to which I can send attachments, I will gladly send this .pdf file in the first instance. In creating the file the images have somewhat lost resolution, but I could also send the original.jpg images separately, which are much clearer.

I don't think there should be any copyright issues with this, as a note in the book records that Hesketh Hubbard, President of the R.I.B.A., bought it in Hastings in 1943, so it must be reasonable to suppose that the various notes were written before then.

Please thank Stewart Hill for me if he is still with you :)

Best wishes

Roger

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger

Anna hasn't posted enough posts yet to allow her to send PM's. I'll send you one with her email address.

Stewart