Author Topic: cowley of east retford,black boy inn  (Read 11534 times)

Offline Willow24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cowley of east retford,black boy inn
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 October 12 15:31 BST (UK) »
I am terribly sorry to have left your reply unanswered, unfortunately I've been very busy with my MA and had to drop my research. Thankfully the MA is nearly at an end so I can start again. It would be really interesting to hear about what you know about the black boy. I've just started trying to locate the court papers. I've currently got the plans for the building when all the alterations were made and a inventory from the late 30's. Would be interesting to hear about the early history of the building as records only seem to go so far, suggesting the building might have had other uses in the distant past.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 October 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
Birth reg for

Winifred Cowley
Dec Quarter
East Retford
Notts
vol 7b
page 10

or
James Sidney Cowley
Dec Quarter
East Retford
Notts
vol 7b
page 9

or
Dorothy May Cowley
June Quarter   
East Retford
Notts
Volume: 7b
Page: 7   

get any of these birth certs and it will give you their mothers maiden name, then we will know if we are on the right track

ricky
Just to add my pennyworth
Baptisms at St Swithun East Retford parents James and Sarah Elizabeth Cowley
11-10-1889 Winifred abode Savile St father a hotel servant
11-11-1890 James Sidney abode Savile St father a hotel servant
1-6-1894 Dorothy May abode Black Boy Inn father a publican mother listed as Sarah
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 October 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
As noted earlier the only marriage to a Sarah Elizabeth  she is listed as HILL.Having said that there are 2 baptisms for a Sarah Elizabeth Snowden
25-11-1846 Warsop with parents Francis and Sarah
5-2-1865 Clayworth parents George Jepson and Christiana
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline joycerockett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 October 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
I am interested to know who Melonhead is.  You must be the child of one of my cousins,
Jim, Joan or Derek Westley.  Any information of The Black Boy Inn I will answer if you tell me
what you need.  I have a picture of Sarah Cowley, my grandmother outside the Inn and also
my Grandfather James Cowley in his Morris Cowley treasured car.