Author Topic: Brettenham Road/Lawrence Street Edmonton(Enfield)  (Read 5623 times)

Offline mkcmiller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brettenham Road/Lawrence Street Edmonton(Enfield)
« on: Saturday 03 October 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
My Romany background shows my great nan living in these two streets in the early 1900's, I know she still had her wagon in the mid 1900's when she died as she left it to my dad and am wondering whether these 2 streets ever had a travellers camp, or whether the family had settled by then and she had just kept hold of it (she married into a non romany family)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Brettenham Road/Lawrence Street Edmonton(Enfield)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 09 02:35 BST (UK) »
" Early 1900's " ? I'd be looking at the (Rather excellent) 1911 Census, myself ;)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline king otg

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi mkcmiller,

There were several traveller families living in houses in Brettenham Road, Edmonton, between 1909 and the 1960s. Between at least 1903 and 1913 there were a number of caravan dwellers interspersed among the houses and the neighbouring fields which were regarded as a frequently used unofficial site. The names of those who settled there, and in nearby Lawrence Road, include SMITH, BRINKLEY, TOPHAM, MILLS, LOVERIDGE, COOPER as well as one of my own great aunts who married a gorgio called BROWN.

For example, William and Eliza EASTON or EATSON, hawkers, lived at No.309 Brettenham Road in January 1912 but they had moved to No.9 by March of the same year.

In 1902 those who subsequently became part of the Brettenham Road travelling community had been evicted from another informal site a mile or so to the north-west on the land north of Cumberland Road and at the rear of St Mary's Gardens near St Mary's Road, Edmonton, where some of their relatives lived in houses from about 1903 to the 1960s.

In the 1901 census a few of the streets in the same area contained small groups of travellers who later settled in St Mary's Road.

I have seen just about all the relevant baptism registers, some of which are still with the incumbents, but if you wish to enquire about people listed on the electoral rolls for these streets you may wish to contact Graham Dalling (his details available online under his own name plus Enfield) or at the Local History Unit, Enfield Leisure Services, Town Hall, Green Lanes, London, N13 4XD

Offline mkcmiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. I am very grateful for your time, it is much appreciated.

I am sure my dad will be very interested to hear that Coopers were also a travelling family as he was under the impression that it was only the Jones side of the family that were (though I did think myself they were)

Michelle

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
Michelle, some of my family lived at Brettenham Road(Brinkleys and Smith), and at St Marys Rd and Gardens my Coopers and Smiths (travellers) lived from early 1900 onwards. Do you have Coopers in Edmonton and surrounding area, if so get in touch, private message me and I can see if our Coopers are related. Best wishes Betty

Offline ibs3691

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just discovered my relatives came from Brettenham Road. They at different times lived in a travelling caravan then had a house number (not sure if the caravan was at that address). My relatives were William Nicholls who married Kezia Scout, although all their childrens birth certificates have her as Brinkley. Their marriage was witnessed by a Cooper. If anyone has any more information could you please contact me

Offline smileyface471686

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello, ive private messaged you - i believe Kezia is my grandmothers sister - she was a Brinkley/Scarrott maybe Scout was misheard for Scarrott.
Betty

Offline joeyboy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
I had coopers in Edmonton but they was down a place called west street Wich ain’t there any more . These coopers were related to lee and smith familys . There was a big traveller stopping place near at Mary’s in Edmonton. Would be good to find my family. Thank you x

Offline joeyboy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 12:50 GMT (UK) »
My great granny was Ann Cooper her brothers family were on Lawrence and there were also other siblings on brettenham they was related and also link to the smiths I have done DNA recently and link to the Loveridge family
My great granny was on west street for a time but her husband family lambert/smiths were on st Mary’s and they all link together as part of one family. Would love to talk x