Author Topic: Looking for Robert Welsh Bisset Russell & Margaret Hamilton's families.  (Read 17600 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Robert Welsh Bisset Russell & Margaret Hamilton's families.
« on: Saturday 03 October 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help,

1. I have a marriage of Robert Welsh Russell to Margaret Hamilton 8th December 1911 at Whinston Villa Drumover Drive(?) Tollcross, Glasgow, on the marriage certificate it names Roberts parents as Joseph Russell, Iron Turner (deceased) & Janet Russell nee Robson, (also deceased). 
Margaret Hamilton's parents are Hugh Hamilton, coal miner (deceased) & Jane Hamilton nee Jackson (deceased).  Robert's occupation is given as Railway Guard. 
2. Margaret's birth certificate: (known as Maggie) born 22nd March 1881 parents James Hamilton Tailor journeyman & Jane Hamilton nee Clark.
I found  a Hugh Hamilton & Jane Jackson marriage 17th March 1876, parents: William Hamilton coalminer & ?.  Jane Jackson's father John Jackson Powerloom Tenter and ?.  Both mothers not named.

3. I cannot find Robert W B Russell's birth abt 1877 and with such a distinct name you would think he would be easy to find, however I have found him on the Census for 1891 at 338 Duke street where he is age 13 living with his mother Janet born c1841 Glasgow and grandmother Catherine born c1808 Glasgow.

I wonder if anyone can help me through this maze? Maybe progress this family back a couple of generations.  I have been trying to sort this out for over 8 years but cant seem to take it back even a generation.  I would welcome any assistance.

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Robert Welsh Bisset Russell & Margaret Hamilton's families.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 09 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

I haven't got any firm answers but wondering if you might have made a few steps out of your line!

The 1891 census that you have for a Robert with mother Janet and grandmother living with them. It also shows a sister Catherine b. 1880 in Glasgow. I think this may be that family in 1881 but father does not show as Joseph as you can see. Everyone below showing as born in Glasgow:

Robert Russell 39, Coach Body Maker
Jessie Russell 36
Robert Russell 3
Catherine M Russell 10 Months

Address: 14 Mathieson Rd, Kelvin Glasgow

You have the 1891 census entry and then I think this is them in 1901:

Jessie Russell 57
Robt Russell 27, railway porter (which fits with his occupation on his marriage entry)
Kate Russell 19

Address: 17 Brown St, Milton Glasgow

Have you looked for possible death certs for mother Jane Rob*son/Russell? It's a good fit except for the issue of Robert's father's name (Joseph v. Robert) and also father's occupation.

I cannot see a marriage between a Joseph Russell and Janet Rob*son though on SP  :-\

Also, a little confused on Margaret Hamilton. From her marriage cert, it shows her parents as Hugh, a coal miner, and Jane Jackson. But the birth cert you quote for a Maggie in 1881 shows different parents? This doesn't sound like your Margaret Hamilton's birth.

You say you gone on to look at the marriage of Hugh Hamiton and Jane Jackson in 1876. Did this show the right occupation for Hugh? What were their ages and maybe we can find them on the censuses. What was daughter Margaret's age from her marriage entry in 1911?

Sorry, lots of questions!

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this could be a young Margaret with parents in 1891:

Hugh Hamilton 39, coal miner b. Armadale, Linlithgowshire
Jane Hamilton 39 b. England
William Hamilton 13 b. Crofthead, Linlithgowshire
Agnes Hamilton 9 b. England
Margaret Hamilton 5, b. Motherwell, Lanarkshire
Hugh Hamilton 1 b. Rutherglen, Lanarkshire

Address: 105 Kidston St, Hutchesontown, Glasgow  Govan

Possible for Margaret, down as Maggie, for 1901 staying likely at her brother William:

William Hamilton 22, coal miner b. East Benhar, Linlithgowshire
Lizzie Hamilton 20 b. Glasgow
Lizzie Hamilton 7 mo b. Hamilton, Lanarkshire
Maggie Hamilton 16, visitor, Domestic Servant, b. Motherwell, Lanarkshire

Address: Front Single Row Ferniegair, Hamilton

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 October 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
A possible entry for the family down in England for the 1881 census, down in Harrington, Cumberland:

Hugh Hamilton 27, coal miner b. Scotland
Jane J. Hamilton 29 b. Carlisle, Cumberland, England
William Hamilton 4 b. Scotland
Jane Hamilton 2 b. Scotland

RG11; Piece: 5182; Folio: 76; Page: 22

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 October 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
Someone else who has been researching the same line here on RC some time ago:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,25671.0.html

Don't think the original poster is on the right line for potential parents for Hugh given he shows as born c. 1852, a good 15 yrs before the potential marriage she is quoting for his potential parents.

It does however include details of Maggie's birth  :)

Monica

Added: The name Robert Welsh Bisset Russell began to ring bells in my head  ;D www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,226448.0.html

Have you seen this entry on www.curiousfox.com/history_S/lanarkshire_18.html

Robert Welsh Bissett Russell m margaret Shirley Hamilton 11/12/1911. re birth and marriage of Robert. I have a Robert Welsh bissett in my family tree died in Dumfries 1959 who was married and widowed in 1910 to Robina Gardiner Kirk. Listed as Railway Goods Guard on death cert of Robina and marriage certificate. Mother Janet Bissett birth certificate lists as illegitimate. Family did live in Old Monkland Or Coatbridge abt 1841 COULD THIS BE THE SAME PERSON?

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 October 09 18:31 BST (UK) »
'Robert Welsh Bissett Russell m margaret Shirley Hamilton 11/12/1911. re birth and marriage of Robert. I have a Robert Welsh bissett in my family tree died in Dumfries 1959 who was married and widowed in 1910 to Robina Gardiner Kirk. Listed as Railway Goods Guard on death cert of Robina and marriage certificate. Mother Janet Bissett birth certificate lists as illegitimate. Family did live in Old Monkland Or Coatbridge abt 1841

This lady, I have spoken to and have exchanged info, but there is a slight discrepancy on one of our family trees, I have Catherine Robertson as Janet Russell nee Robertson's mother, Catherine born c1808.  For some reason, I believe we are talking about two separate families, and for some reason this lady has believed that Robert Welsh Bissett Russell married Robina Gardiner Kirk before marrying Margaret Hamilton.  This ladies RWB Russell was born in Dumfries not Glasgow.  This is what I am trying to sort out, please can you confirm the marriage/marriages of RWB Russell?

My RWB Russell ( I am told by family) died in c1930, but as yet found that either!  Maggie took the boys and Ellen and moved to Dublin, when Ellen was about 9, they had to return to Glasgow because Robert had died.  So if Ellen was born 1921 and she was 9 when RWB Russell died then that would make the death c1930. 

Anyhow, I have a copy of the birth cerficate of Margaret Hamilton (my sisters copy) and I dont believe this is the correct Margaret Hamilton:
Firstly, her middle name is Shirley
secondly father is called James Hamilton and the mother Jane Hamilton nee Clark married June 7th 1867 Glasgow.
On Robert's and Maggies marriage certificate it gives Hugh as the father and Jane Hamilton nee Jackson as the mother.

This family is a complete mystery - Robert and Maggie, I am told had four children, Herbert, Robert, William and Ellen, the only birth I can find is Ellen's in 1st June 1921 at Craigmore Street, Glasgow.  So I believe that the boys were born between 1911 to 1921, as Ellen is the youngest.

Thanks for the info, it certainly helps, but is it possible to find the grandparents and family of Robert and Maggie?

regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 October 09 18:45 BST (UK) »
To continue Maggie was it looks like 35 but the writing is appalling, but is probably 25, in 1911 and Robert WB Russell again looks like 34 but I believe it is 24.
Monica, this whole family has been an absolute nightmare, when my mother was alive, I couldnt get anything really out of her about her family, she knew she had brothers but couldnt remember who they married, where they lived and when they died, other than she believed one was in the Army, one was in the Airforce and one was in the navy.  One or two or three died during the WW2.  When Ellen and her mother was living in Ireland, she couldnt remember if her brothers were with her.  But she remembered the name of the school she attended and that at 86 was pretty brilliant.
Ellen said her father wasnt with them in Ireland, that he was a member of the Irish guard (?) and had handlebar moustache and two tattoes, 'compowell of India (????) and another.  I havent been able to work that out yet.
So you see, it hasnt been easy trying to work this out and as I have said its taken me years to go absolutely no where.
I believed my mother knew alot more that she was letting on.  I think there may be a 'dreadful secret', I thought originally that she maybe illigitamate but I have her birth certificate and that is not so.  So, I wonder what kept her silent for so long.

Regards Trish

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 October 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Can we take this in stages otherwise it gets confusing  ;D

Firstly, on ages on the marriage cert for Maggie and Robert. Did you get this image from SP? You could contact them on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/contactus/form.aspx?issue=24 If you tell the areas you are having problems making out (ages for example) they can send you an enhanced image via email which in most cases makes the writing much clearer.

Can we try working firstly with Maggie and establishing her family. From her marriage cert you had details of her parents, Hugh Hamilton, a coal miner, and Jane Jackson, both deceased at the time of her marriage in 1911. Don't understand the focus on the other Margaret Hamilton with different parents  ???

We have found a Maggie Hamilton with parents Hugh, a coal miner, and Jane (Jackson) in the censuses (from the earlier posts) and also you have their marriage cert. From the link of the old RC post I gave yesterday we have:

I am looking for the parents of Margaret (Maggie) Hamilton born 11th Sept 1884 North Motherwell Colliery, her parents are given as Hugh Hamilton & Jane Jackson.  Hugh was born around 1850's Armadale West Lothian.  Jane was supposed to have been born around 1850 in England according to 1891 & 1901 Census.

This very much fits with what we are seeing on the censuses. Maggie's age of possibly 25 in her marriage entry would very much fit with all the details above.

Where and when did Maggie die?

You have obviously thought long and hard over the years on this Trish. Why don't you think the above info is for your Maggie?

Monica

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 October 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
 :-\ I think the othre Maggie is the wrong one, I think I got mislead by this.  So I shall put it away and forget it.
I tell you what I do have, Maggie Hamilton born 11th Sept 1884 at North Motherwell Colliery(?) I was given this.  She died 3 Nov 1956 a Glasgow Royal Infirmary age 70.  On the death certificate it has usual residence 10 A George Street, apparently this was amoungst slum housing in glasgow.  She died of Chronic Bronchitis which she had for a year, and also Carcinoma of Lung which she had for 3 months.  Now the next bit I'm not a hundred percent about, Maggie's siblings were William born 22 Apr 1877 East Benhar, Fauldhouse, and from your census he married a Lizzie born 1879 Glasgow and they had a daughter Lizzie born 1900/1.  Also from census Agnes born 1882 England (possibly Westmoreland, Cumberland)  there is also another brother Hugh born 7 August 1889 Rutherglen 31 Kings St, attended father's death living at 23 Raith Place, Palace Colliery, Bothwell.
Going back a generation to Hugh Hamilton b c1843 Aramadale, West Lothian, married 17th March 1867 Springburn, Glasgow, coalminer he died 7th July 1910 at Hamilton age 64.  Then to his wife Jane Jackson born c1845 Harrington Cumberland, died 20th Sept 1905 Shettleston age 60, of 79 Easterhill Street, Tollcross, cancer of the liver 4mths.
Jane's father was John Jackson, a powerloom tenter, I dont have anything else, no known mother.  Also dont know who Hugh's parents were.
This evening I took a look at Freecen anf found in 1881 Census:
Concrete, Harrington RG11 5182/76 Page 22
Hugh Hamilton H M age 27 born Scotland, Coalminer
Janet Hamilton W F age 29 born Carlisle
William Hamilton son U M age 4 born Scotland
Jane Hamilton u F age 2 born Scotland

What I would like to find is the wife of John Jackson, and any siblings to Jane Jackson,  I would also like to find the children of Maggie and RWB Russell, (as this has plagued me for so long).  I would also like to find Hugh Hamilton's parents and would like to find out when RWB Russell died (maybe his daughter was right - but I am thinking of the other connection - that RWB Russell may have been married twice, there is something there, that prevented his daughter talking about it).

Maybe I am expecting alot but am greatful for any breadcrumb which might point me in the right direction.  It seems that you may have hit the nail on the head with the census.  But at one time I did wonder if their was such a person as Robert Welsh Bissett Russell - its so distinct that I couldnt understand the inability to find him.
According to the other researcher, RWB Russell was married for a year, his first wife died and then he married Maggie Hamilton.  Which is possible as he was in his mid 20's when he married Maggie.  I also though that they both had lied about their parents on the marriage certificate.
Thanks for what you have done I am eternally greatful. 

Whats the saving 'What a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive'.  I truly believe that Ellen knew about her family but wouldnt say.  I would love to show my siblings the truth about Ellen & her family.

regards Trish