Author Topic: looking for family of Richard Davies b 1852/3 Llangadfan  (Read 16885 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
Re: looking for family of Richard Davies b 1852/3 Llangadfan
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Double barrels are probably adopted due to some sort of inheritance, e.g. if an uncle who had no children died, he might will his estate to a godson on the grounds that his surname be adopted in some form.

David Davies, bpt. 26 May 1848 in Llangadfan, son of David Davies, of Lletty Meudwy, Sawyer & Margaret

Offline balloonlady

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there my name is Lynne and I think the people that you refer to in your post is my Great Aunt and Uncle on my mothers side.  Auntie Polly as we called her (Mary Susanah) and Uncle Tommy) lived at that exact address and I spent many happy holidays with them as a child. As you already know Uncle Tom and Auntie Polly are buried in the locoal church yard. Maggie is buried on a hillside churchyard a Dinas Mawdy (forgive the spelling) there were also two other sister Annie, my Grandfathers mother and Lizzie.  My family tree is on Genes Reunited and I will be happy for you to look at it. I am currently researching this branch of the family and it is proving quite difficult, perhaps we can exchange notes,
Regards Lynne

Offline Knowyourforefathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 September 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
What a shame Jasper has not returned to his thread.  I had been searching for John Fitt Youngman b.1878 for a long time. 

I knew Adelaide had had Laura Youngman b. 1870 out of wedlock and wondered if she could also have had John Fitt Youngman b 1878, naming him after her father John Fitt Youngman b. 1821.  I also knew Adelaide had married a David Lloyd Davies.

So after 'Google ing' John Fitt Youngman I came across this thread.  So Jasper, if you want any info on Adelaide's ancestors please let me know.

Christine

Great Britain

Offline jasper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 September 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am still here. Have been busy getting my head round the Miles/Lloyd-Davies ancestors thanks to people on this forum - many thanks, you know who you are! It meant a mental journey round the Worcester area then a trek over to Llangadfan and then Anglesey.
So now to the Youngmans and Suffolk! Here's what info I have already which may be inaccurate so any clarification would be welcome.

My paternal great grandfather was David (Lloyd) Davies who married Adelaide Youngman. born Bentley. Suffolk. Her daughter Laura Youngman was born about 1871 and died Cheltenham 1971, she was my dad's great aunt Laura, single and lived to be 100. There was also a William Walter Youngman b 1870ish may have also been a child of Adelaide and brother of Laura but not sure

David and Adelaide lived in Cheltenham and had Edward (Lloyd) Davies b 1886(my grandfather), Dorothy (1888died young)and Margaret1882.
 John Fitt Youngman aka Davies also features in the family of David and Adelaide b Cheltenham1878/9ish  - not sure whether he was a son or cousin or other random relative.
He married a Tewkesbury lass called Ellen around 1897 and they lived in Cheltenham and had two sons John Edward or Edward John b 1898ish and Frederick John b 1900ish.
John E lived in Southsea and married Ethel Peach? and they had a son John and daughter Joy b 1930. That's where my Youngman descendants according to my father's memory, peters out....

In terms of the ancestors: Adelaide had 3 sisters Susannah, Hannah and Annie.
Their father was John Fitt Youngman b 1821.
John Fitt Youngman senior's father was Benjamin Youngman b about 1796 Walsham Suffolk from a family of Suffolk millers dating back to Saxon East Anglia.

I'd love to have concrete info on the Youngmans though! :)

Offline Knowyourforefathers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 September 10 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Jasper, thanks for getting back to me.  I am tracing the ancestors of  Frederick John Youngman b.1900 Cheltenham.  I have the parents of John Fitt Youngman b. 1821 as a William Youngman and a Mary Fitt.  They married    
14 OCT 1819 Suffolk County Bts, Suffolk, England.  Source IGI. 

Sorry, but this is not concrete evidence.  Presumption more than anything though. Will have a dig around for a while, then must get some sleep.

Is there a private messaging system on this site?

Regards Christine.

Great Britain

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 May 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
Glanymorfa Llangadfan no trace now exist of this property but was situated near the Junction of the Llanfyllin road with the A483?. A Richard Davies moved there from Llety Meudwy and changed the name to Llety

Offline jasper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 May 12 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks cennydd
I have been to Llangadfan last month and so found where the original Llety Medw was (and the house next door Dolypebyll) and also the site of Glan y Morfa which as you rightly point out, was known as Llety. Nothing remains now as the school is there. Also went to the church yard and found the graves of all the children who died of the scarlet fever in the 1840s

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 May 12 17:45 BST (UK) »
Jasper sorry Glanymorfa was not by the school but by the Junction of the Main road with the Llanfyllin/Lake Vyrnwy road. A large agricultural shed stands on it now. The ex dwelling in the corner of school was Argoed. You did well to find Llety Meudwy some one else in Llangadfan must know as much as me

Offline JenniZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 October 22 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
I'm very late to these conversations!  I hope you are all still actively researching.

I am the granddaughter of Daisy Youngman, daughter of John Fitt Youngman.  I am very curious to know whether John Fitt Youngman's father is in fact David Davies given that he is not listed on John's Baptism record.  Obviously Davies married John's mother Adelaide Ellen Youngman within a very short time after his birth.  I can't find any obvious answer.  He sometimes is recorded as Davies and most frequently as Youngman. Would be good to find some corroborative DNA answers which link me to the Davies family and tie up the loose ends. 

regards to all!

Jenni