Author Topic: edward joseph o cooke  (Read 10653 times)

Offline gerardmathew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
edward joseph o cooke
« on: Sunday 04 October 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
does anyone have any info on edward joseph o cooke I think the o stood for osmly  he had a large shop  in tubbercurry that was burned down by the black and tans in a reprisal raid around 1920  many thanks

Offline doch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: edward joseph o cooke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
hi gerard.

if you go to the national archives website you can see an image of the census form for 1911. this will give you some info on josephs family,occupation,and type of building they were living in at the time of the sensus.

good luck in your search. doch.
docherty glasgow/ireland
king glasgow/ireland
burns glasgow/ireland
gillon/sligo    mcaffrey/fermanagh
young glasgow/ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Here's the link to 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gerardmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 October 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
many thanks doch I have seen the census forms but it was some history about the family that you dont get on census I was hoping for  I thought with his store and many others being burned down there would be some historical references It sounded a bad time for tubbercurry  thank you anyway for your very quick reply    gerard

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Edward Ormsby Cooke was a very distant relative of mine through my paternal grand mother, Mary Kate Cooke Brennan. Edward was from Kilturra and he and his sister were buried in the grounds of the Marist Convent in Tubbercurry. You will find some information and photos of him in a book called, "The Cookes of the Cavaliers", written by Dr. Kieran Cooke of Dunmore, Galway which I think was published by the Galway Family Heritage Society.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 17:12 GMT (UK) »
There are a number of references to Edward J Cooke in the book 'Sligo 1914 - 1921 A Chronicle of Conflict' by Michael Farry which includes the incident at Tubbercurry when the Black and Tans ran riot setting many businesses premises on fire including the premises of E J Cooke, which was burned to the ground, the occupants including up to a dozen workers having to flee for their lives.

A letter has survived dated 5th October 1920 by a witness, Mrs Brigid Gilmartin of Tubbercurry to her daughter in New York giving a graphic account of the terrible night in which she describes the soldiers as "devils let loose from hell". This led to many compensation claims including one for £10,000 by E J Cooke being sent by the Tubbercurry Council to Lloyd George and the military authorities.

I'm sure you will find much more.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
In another local history 'Sligo Land of Yeats' Desire' by John Cowell the destruction of Tubbercurry by the Black and Tans in September 1920 is also mentioned which includes the following :

"A brilliant piece of descriptive writing of hell let loose is contained in a long letter dated 5th October 1920, written by Mrs Brigid Gilmartin of Tubbercurry to her daughter, Norah in New York. The letter is now in the Sligo Museum".

I'm sure this letter will contain information of interest to you.

J.T.A.

Offline gerardmathew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 November 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
many nthanks to all who offered assistance it was most welcome and very helpful   thank you all

Offline jmcooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 December 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I am related to the Cooke family of Kilturra, Killmactigue and Glenavoo.  I am attaching a photo taken this year of Ormsby Cooke's store in Tubbercurry which is now used as a County Building.  Also, a photo of the Church window at Kilturra praising the Cooke Family.