Author Topic: Belfast City Cemetery  (Read 8511 times)

Offline lynbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Belfast City Cemetery
« on: Monday 07 March 05 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Looking for how I can find out info on relatives buried in the Belfast City Cemetery in the 1800's to early 1900's.
Is there an index?  Looking for the name McKim or McKimm
Thanks
Lyn

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast City Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 March 05 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn

You could try contacting the City Cemetery on Belfast 02890 320202 and ask for ex 3438. I hope this helps

pentio

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 05 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyn

ref your posting you could also try Belfast City Council (parks and cemeteries dept) on Belfast 02890 270294 who may be able to assist you

pentio

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 March 05 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi. if you telephone Belfast City Hall and ask for Cemeteries they will do a search for you, and they are very helpfull.

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 March 05 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, This is the M'Kimm's that lived in Belfast,
1896 Belfast Street Directory.

Andrew M'Kimm 6 Wye St.
Charles M'Kimm Curator Botanic Gardens, Botanic Avenue.
James M'Kimm Rivetter 10 Roxburgh St.

There is 7 M'Kimm names in my 1949 Street Directory would you like to have them as well.

Offline lynbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help but I am in Australia. Is there an email address for the cemetery?

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 19:26 GMT (UK) »
www.belfastcitycouncil.gov.uK

If you have no luck there, then send me what info you have and i will call in to the City Hall.

Offline daviren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 January 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I have found, on the Ulster Historical Foundation Online Irish Genealogy Databases for Co. Antrim & Co. Down, civil death records for William John MOORE (1892 - 2 entries & 1907 - 1 entry) and Mary Jane MOORE (1912 & 1916 - 1 entry for each) at the Belfast City Cemetery.

I would like to be able to satisfy myself as to which of these entries match the couple I am looking for, before I purchase the records of their deaths.

The 1907 Belfast Street Directory shows a Wm. Moore, Greengrocer living at 79, 81 Durham Street and I have a birth record to show that 'my' William MOORE's granddaughter was born at 81 Durham Street in 1908. Thus, I suspect the death entry for 1907 is that of 'my' William John MOORE.

I am not sure which entry is the one for 'my' Mary Jane MOORE. I know that Mary was a Widow at the time of the 1911Census and that she was then living with my Grandparents at 143 DivisStreet.

Is there anyway I can check the records of the Belfast City Cemetery or have someone do this so as not to incur the cost of purchasing the incorrect death records? Or is there a website or book of MIs for Belfast City Cemetery where I could check for their burials?

I live in New Zealand, so a telephone call is a little difficult (but not impossible) and could be somewhat expensive, depending on how long it takes for Belfast City Council check and to give me the answer.

Many thanks.

David

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
You can search for burial records for City Cemetery, Belfast on this website:

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/community/burialrecords/burialrecords.aspx

When the results appear, click on View Details and you will see the grave number, the last residence of the deceased, age, date of death, burial date and which part of the cemetery the grave is in.

This will help if you then want to purchase a copy death certificate or use the online facility on GRO(NI) to look at an uncertified image of the death cert - you will need 5 credits which presently costs £2.50.  You have to have at least 1 credit in your account in order to use the free search facility.  Not sure how this will work for NZ though :-\

Or, you can look here:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

and many, many images of births, marriages & deaths are there - FREE!

Once you've got a death date, if you have access to FindMyPast, there are some good Irish newspapers on there so you can search for a death notice.