Author Topic: Lumsden-Sutherland  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lumsden-Sutherland
« on: Tuesday 06 October 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone I am very new to this and am trying to find my Scots ancestry. My grandfather's middle name was Lumsden, as was my aunts, but nobody alive new why.
However I have found that my great-great grandmother was Ann Beattie nee Lumsden. She was born in Cullen in 1848 to Alexander and Margaret Lumsden (nee Sutherland).
They were married in Cullen in 1843. Alexander was (I think) a twin born in Boghead (?) in 1815. I a later census his place of birth is given as Ord.Could this be right?
Margaret was born in Wick and was older than Alexander but I can find no more about her.
I am not sure if anyone has researched the Lumsdens but if anybody can advise me I would be grateful.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lumsden-Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bentham

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There is a family tree showing on Ancestry for the line of Alexander Lumsden and Margaret Sutherland. No details on Alexander's death, however parents are given as James Lumdsen 1769-1821 and Jane Corbett. There is some info for Margaret which hopefully you will be able to verify.

Margaret Sutherland
Born 24 Aug 1813 in Wick
Death in Liverpool in 1883
Parents: David Sutherland and Ann Rugg (no further details on them)

Children showing to Alexander and Margaret:

Jane b. 1847
Ann 1848 - 1929
John b. 1854

This is given for the family's 1871 entry:

George Falconer 25, engine fitter b.Edinburgh
Jane Falconer 24 b. Cullen, Banff
Aleen Falconer 17 months b. Edinburgh
Alex Lumsden 56, father in law, joiner, b. Banff
Margt Lumsden 57, mother in law b. Caithness
John Lumsden 17, brother in law, upholster b. Banff

Address: No 8 Moray Street, Edinburgh

And for 1881:

George Falconer 35
Jane Falconer 34
Alexander Falconer 10
Margaret Falconer 8
Isabella Falconer 5
Jane Chalmers Falconer 3
George Falconer 1
Margaret Lumsden 71, mother in law, b. Wick

Address: 62 Duke Street, Leith South

With a likely death for Alexander father between 1871-81, you should hopefully find that his death cert contains details of his parents.

This tree, I think, is following your line that of Ann Lumsden and Jame Beattie, who show as having moved to Toxteth, Lancashire by the 1881 census. Maybe this is why mother Margaret Sutherland shows as having died in Liverpool if she went to live with them after the 1881 census in Scotland.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

That was amazing. I could not find Alex or Magaret in the 1871 census at all. In 1861 they were shown living in Leith and I have records of Ann marrying in early 1869 and my great grandfather, Daniel, being born a few months later in June of that year.
By the births of their children I can date James and Ann arriving in Liverpool about 1879-80. Oddly enough they were shown living in street not 150 yards from where I was born in 1946.
The information regarding Margaret's death in Liverpool
was very interesting and I will certainly look  up hers and Alexander's Certificates.

Thank you very much for you kind interest and taking the time to reply.

Best wishes

John

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
Monica,

I am not quite sure what you mean about Ancestry but  if you can find out any more I would appreciate it very much.

John

Offline MariP

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 12 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am the grear grandaughter of Jane (Lumsden) and George Falconer.  My grandmother was their daughter Marion who was born in 1886 and is therefore not mentioned in the 1881 census.  I am very interested in finding out information regarding Ann Lumsden's family.  In fact any information at all would be useful as I am trying to find out as much as I can!!! :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 April 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Alexander was (I think) a twin born in Boghead (?) in 1815. I a later census his place of birth is given as Ord.Could this be right?

Yes it could. The 1841 census lists among others Boghead of Ord in the parish of Banff. These days it is just marked as Boghead on the map, but there are various other places round about called '.... of Ord'.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/nj6259

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Bentham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Thanks for that. I have not been on this site for some time as I have been researching my wife's ancestry locally on Merseyside.

MariP,

Ann died in Liverpool in 1929. If you are on Ancestry.co.uk go to Public Trees, enter Ann Lumsden and on the list that comes up you will see Beattie Family tree. This is an excellent tree researched by a cousin of mine. Click on and I am sure you will find something of interest.