Author Topic: Francina Radcliffe  (Read 6563 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francina Radcliffe
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 07:04 BST (UK) »
Do you mean his specific treatment, or what would happen to anyone so diagnosed (and mis-diagnosed) in the 19th century?

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 07:55 BST (UK) »
Not sure, not having previously researched anyone so categorised.  Just by googling his full name he pops up as having a file at The National Archives.  I have requested a quote from them for paper copies.
Tra La La

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 May 15 17:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you.  I have those records, plus the information about Smith House and the Moravians and Wesley.  I am searching for information about his earlier treatment as a lunatic. So far only TNA has some details (at a cost, and not online).
Thanks again
Tra La La

I see the booklet on Smith House says William's sister Charlotte Lucretia Francina RADCLIFFE was buried at York Coney Street following an accident at school. She was buried on 23 Jan 1818 aged 23 at St Martin, Coney Street abode St Olave's. However the following article implies she also sent time in the asylum.  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/19562/page/3101/data.pdf
I think at this time York Asylum was in the parish of St Olave.

There is also a record of an application for a marriage licence for Charlotte and Joseph Brooke to marry in Halifax dated 5 Sep 1816 but as she was buried under her maiden name I guess the marriage did not take place.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 May 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that additional information.  I had made a note about her early death, but had not picked up on the marriage plans.  I am waiting for a couple of quotations from The National Archives which hopefully will give additional clues to what information they hold on her, and also on her older brother.  I had seen references to her being in the York Asylum, but so far have not discovered where he was.  He was back at home by 1841 (Ratcliffe) sic, 1851 and 1861.  After reading the Gazette I realised the significance of the Land Agent.
Tra La La

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 31 May 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
Tra La La,

It might also be worth giving the Borthwick Institute a try as they hold the records for York Asylum.

https://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/

I notice the national archives record for William is dated 1815, if he was admitted around this time it may also have been in York as the West Yorkshire Asylum did not open until 1818.

http://www.yorkhistory.org.uk/node/93

Pinetree

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline YorkshireDebsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 18:15 GMT (UK) »
According to Foster's pedigree of the Radcliffe family, Francina Towne was born in 1731 and she was the daughter of Richard Towne of York.  I am not specifically interested in the Radcliffes but more in her daughter Frances Radcliffe who married John Bond.

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the information about another Francina RADCLIFFE.  I believe her father Richard might be a first cousin to Charles, the father of Charlotta Lucretia Francina RADCLIFFE who died 1818 at York Asylum, aged 23 years.  Her brother William had the middle name Towne, so clearly part of a larger family.  According to a will her aunt in South Carolina carried the identical string of first names.
I am grateful for this additional information, and for the help from several other roots chatters.

Offline YorkshireDebsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tra la la

Yes there is a connection between Francina Towne and William Towne Radcliffe and Charlotte Lucretia Francina Radcliffe.  See attached snip.

Deb

Offline Tra La La

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  That is excellent, many thanks.  Is it from a downloadable edition?  I also had a passing interest in those Radcliffes from Huddersfield and Meltham, and there they all are.
Tra La La