Author Topic: Angus McLucas of Perth  (Read 1395 times)

Offline harvester86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Angus McLucas of Perth
« on: Tuesday 06 October 09 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. I found a grandparent of mine and found his death record
Angus McLucas born abt 1796 died 9-26-1856.
This is very helpful but what is not is the fact that I cannot read who his father was. If any of you would like to give it a shot and tell me what you think his first name is I would really appreciate it.
I think it reads Dunsk or Dansk.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Angus McLucas of Perth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 00:36 BST (UK) »
His father was Donald McLucas. The informant, whose name is not visible in the image you supplied, clearly did not know the name of Angus's wife, and, may also not have known the actual age of Angus - might simply have made a rough guess -  so you have to remember that when you are researching him.
I see he was a joiner, and the 1841 Census returns show an Angus in Glasgow (in the Gorbals, at 74 Thistle Street) who was a joiner, but his wife was not present there (she was either elsewhere, or deceased) at the time of the census and that entry would perhaps link to the Angus McLucas who married a Jean (Jane) McIntosh 17 May 1835 in the Gorbals. The ages of the children would certainly tend to match up with that (Janet McLucas, 5, > Janet b. 14 Feb 1836, Gorbals, chr. 17 April 1836) and Jane McLucas, 1, > Jane (Jean McLucas b. 31 March 1840, Gorbals, chr. 19 April 1840).
McLucas is an Argyll name, so Angus may well be from there originally.

Offline harvester86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 01:47 BST (UK) »
Yes you are right about him being from Argyllshire. He was born in Kilninian, Argyllshire. The informant was a daughter of his listed as M. McLucas. This was probably his daughter Margaret McLucas who was born abt 1843, and that would put her around 13 years old though.
By the way, Thanks for clearing some of that up.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 01:50 BST (UK) »
More haste, less speed! I noticed as soon as I pressed send that I had been too hasty! It was the name of Donald's wife (Angus's mother) that the informant didn't know and Angus's wife Jane (/Jean) WAS at home in the 1841 Census returns. In my haste I overlooked the fact that she was indeed present, but recorded under her maiden surname (McIntosh). Duh! Interestingly, there was also a John McIntosh present aged 20 [i.e., within the age range 20-24 - ages of those aged 15 and over were rounded down in the 1841 Census returns], who might well be a brother of Jane or a cousin (or indeed not related at all!). Unfortunately, relationships were not given in the 1841 Census returns.
Angus's stated age (35 [i.e., 35-39]) in the 1841 returns doesn't exactly fit with his stated age ("60") at death (35-39 plus 15 years (1841 plus 15 > 1856) gives anywhere from 50 to 54 as possible in 1856, but as I said, perhaps the informant didn't really know Angus's age ... Jane was "25" [i.e., 25-29] in these returns. Always remember, however, that people didn't always know their own age back then (never mind anyone else's) so if you add in all these uncertainties, the link to that Angus may well be correct, otherwise just ignore all of this, except for the answer to your original question, which was "Donald"!

And, before I post this off ....
 ... it is interesting that you link Angus to Perth, given that he died in Glasgow (60 Tobago Street, Glasgow) and McLucas is an Argyll name?  I see that he is still in Glasgow in 1851 (aged "52") at 116 Garscube Road and with place of birth given as the parish of Kilninian in Argyll (with wife Jane, 42, daughter Jessie (i.e., Janet), 15, and another daughter Margaret, 8. The children were born in Glasgow, but his wife states Killin, Perthshire as her place of birth.
That looks better, as 52 in 1851 would give ca. 57 in 1856, which is close enough to fit the "60" as his age at death ...