Author Topic: I am searching for any information on Busts or Appletons or Sharps or Leonards o  (Read 4829 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: I am searching for any information on Busts or Appletons or Sharps or Leonards o
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 10:22 BST (UK) »
I am late leaving so haven't time to post full entries. Edith Mary Bust, who shows as travelling in 1913, looks to be the daughter of a Joseph and Elizabeth Bust and shows with the family in 1901 census. Joseph father is potentially the son of Henry and Hannah, the family that Ruskie has posted for 1861, showing as born in Winterton, Lincs in 1901. Need to be able to connect the niece Millicent potentially to this family.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I am searching for any information on Busts or Appletons or Sharps or Leonards o
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
This looks like the marriage:
Sept 1839
Bust Henry
Sharp Hannah
Glanford Brigg
vol 14
p 445

This certificate will give both father's names and occupations so you can trace the family further back.

Do you think this is yor family? There are a few Busts in the area.

1 Aug 1839 at West Halton
Henry BUST (son of Martin) to Hannah SHARP (dau of John)

I see a Martin BUST figures in the 1891 census entry found by MonicaLesl

If we can go by birth registrations, Milly and Martin were aged 9 and 6 in 1891!

Milly was still in Bridlington in 1901 - as niece of LOWSON family.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:08 BST (UK) »

1 Aug 1839 at West Halton
Henry BUST (son of Martin) to Hannah SHARP (dau of John)

I see a Martin BUST figures in the 1891 census entry found by MonicaLesl

If we can go by birth registrations, Milly and Martin were aged 9 and 6 in 1891!

This looks a possibility for Henry:
(IGI extracted)
Henry Bust
chr 26 Nov 1814
Winterton
father Martin
mother Fanny

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
...and ... also IGI extracted ...
Martin Bust = Frances Day
16 Jun 1807
Nth Kelsey
Lincolnshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:18 BST (UK) »
Reasonable coverage on FreeREG for Lincolnshire - I think some them are probably yours  :) - just enter surname and select county of Lincolnshire:
http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
As nobody said anything about my earlier find being completely wrong  ;) here is the family in 1851:
Grange
Winterton
HO107/2117/57/9
Henry Bust head mar 35 farmer of 400 acres employing 1 lab(?) b Winterton
Hannah wife 32 b West Halton
Martin son 10
Hannah daur 6
Hnery son 4
Johjn son 2
Fanny daur 6 mo
plus 7 servants

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Your target family looks to be spot on Ruskie  ;)

There are a number extensive family trees on this line on Ancestry which should hopefully provide details that can be verified  :)

John Bust, son of Henry and Hannh (Sharp) b. August 1848 in West Halton, Lincolnshire. Showing in England up to the 1871 Census in Winterton:

Hannah Bust 52
Hannah Bust 26
John Bust 22, solicitors articled clerk  ???
Frederick Bust 17
Joseph S Bust 14
Elizabeth Bainton 14

RG10; Piece: 3431; Folio: 17; Page: 6;

Not sure how the the above occupation showing for John would then fit with him showing as being in the Royal Artillery. Living next to the family is a Robinson family.

On the Ancestry, John is down as having married Elizabeth Jane Leach in 1878 in Sydney, New South Wales under the name of John Bourne Robinson.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 23:10 BST (UK) »
Note to myself, never do searches in a hurry!

I've gone back to the shipping manifests info. The crossing in October 1910 of a Millicent Bust, aged 28. Looking properly at the entry, the line above shows Millicent travelling with her brother Frederick H Bust, aged 30, (brother/sister are anotated), who already looks to be resident in the US in Lynn, Mass. Contact details back in England show as L.B. Bust in Wilterton. She made a number of trips before this date either through NY or Boston. Frederick H Bust also came and went across the waters over the years looking at manifest entries.

I think it may be this Millicent that shows in Yorkshire in the 1891 census entry that's been posted. There is a birth in 1882 (1st Qrt)  for a Millicent Bust and a Martin Hodgetts Bust (3rd Qrt 1884), both in Glanford Brigg, Lincs.

And linking it back to censuses, I think this is Frederick H Bust, who moved over to live in the US (he shows in the later US Censuses) in the 1881 census in Winterton, everyone born in Winterton except wife Sarah:

Frederic Bust 27
Sarah G. Bust 30 b. Calcutta India (Frederick H Bust mother shows as born in India in the US Census)
Joseph T. Bust 24
Frederic H. Bust 10 months   
Betsy Barr 17

RG11; Piece: 3286; Folio: 6; Page: 6

Mother Sarah shows as widowed by 1891 and perhaps the children were being taken of.

So, Robert, that is some explanation on 'niece' Millicent and the multiple visits to the US.

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 23:35 BST (UK) »
Robert

There is soooo much excellent detailed information already found on http://tiny123.com/20k (I've shrunk the link) from Ancestry Aid. Not sure what is missing except perhaps details of Hannah Bust's marriage to John Appleton on 2nd Qrt 1890 in Briddlington!

Your last post on Ancestry Aid and the lighthearted comment by your uncle as to why John changed his surname may not be that wild  ;D I helped someone last year in Australia who had spent 10 years looking for her father 'Scottish' roots and had employed researchers to track him down. He actually turned out to be a London boy (with Scottish grandparents) who had changed his name from Love to McKay when he emigrated in the early 1900s ::) His family, like your John's, continued to write to him often with the surname Love......

Signing off here  :)

Monica