Author Topic: 1812 Baptism Belfast  (Read 22498 times)

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1812 Baptism Belfast
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Aghadowey.

Yes, unfortunately I think I must rule out Isaac Orr Rodgers from Raphoe. My ancestor married Rose Ann Daly in Belfast in 1855, with my ggrandfather William born to them in 1862.
With both Isaac's being same birth year it was tempting to think I had found his birth.

That said, my father often said he thought the Rodgers may have come from Donegal or Scotland...  I think this must be as far as I can go, online.  I would have to search all the Protestant Church records for 1830 baptisms, which would be quite a task...

Thanks again

Lucy
Rodgers/Rogers N Ireland and Australia
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland
McKissick  N Ireland and Scotland
Susanna Hall  Belfast N Ireland
Heaney and Dargan Co Down N Ireland
Rose Anne Savage Belfast 1904

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Isaac Rodgers/Rogers b 1830
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 January 10 04:54 GMT (UK) »
I have reached a brick wall on gt gt grandfather Isaac Rodgers, born 1830, married 1855 and died 1882 Belfast.
I do not know where he was born, or which church he was baptised in, except he was not Catholic.
I do know he lived in the markets area of Belfast, so I suppose it is reasonable to begin searching parish records for protestant churches in the area, but where to begin I do not know.
I am wondering if the PRONI do a search for a fee, of some of the churches in the area, or is that a complete waste of time, as he could have been born anywhere in Ireland.  I know many people moved into Belfast around the famine times. from far and wide.
I have recieved great help on the above topic on this board so far.  I am very grateful. Could anyone advise me further on this task, I do not live in Belfast and cannot search the microfilms myself. 
Thank you for any suggestions on the first step.

Lucy
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland

Offline kiwieliza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 12 January 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lucy
I am wondering if I can help you a little. I was looking on the net for information re a mystery in my family. My grandfather was born in Knocknamuckley Northern Ireland around about 1862 ish. I always thought he had only one sister but my brother told me that he thought our grandfather had a brother called Isaac but no one in the family except our dad ever spoke of him, and never to me. We surmised it was because he married a Catholic girl. He would certainly have been Church of Ireland. Knocknamuckley is near the town of Portadown and I think is in Co Armagh. My grandfather was called James and he had a sister called Elizabeth Anne.
This might give you another place to look in your quest. Would certainly explain why you can not find any record of his birth in Belfast. Let me know if this is any help.

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kiwieliza
Thank you for your reply.  Alas, I think your Isaac would be a bit young, as the one I am researching was born in 1830.

However, have a look at Kanga's reply on previous page re Isaac Rodgers 7 Symons St, Ulster Covenant, and 1911 census.  He was about 30 and born in Co Armagh, so maybe that is your lost granduncle? 

Worth checking out I think,
Thanks again
Lucy
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland

Offline AM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Rose Anne Daly
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 February 10 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Lucy maybe this might fit with your Rose Anne Daly. I have in my tree, a Rose Anne Daly married a James Savage 1n 1865 they had a daughter Rose Anne Savage in 1869.  The Savage family lived in the markets area. Rose Anne must have been a favoured name because Rose Anne's other daughter Jane Savage married name Adams went on to have Rose Anne Adams who then had Rose Anne Smyth. Hope this is the Rose Anne Daly you are looking for. Regards Anne
Quinn from Gillistown/Toome/Antrim,
Moore Ballyscullion,
Megarry/McGarry Killead/Loughshore,
 Adams Belfast/Chicago,
Savage Belfast
McKeown Belfast
Smiley Belfast
Langdon Wales/Liverpool

Offline lucybella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 February 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello AM

Yes, the names we are researching certainly seem to be the same.  But I cannot work it out, as 'my' Rose Anne Daly married Isaac Rodgers in 1855, and he lived until 1882, so it cannot be the same person I think.

I also have a Jane Adams named as sponser to one of my ggranduncles, who died as a baby in 1896??? Also Jane Savage, and Rose Ann Savage.

The families in the area must have been large, and the names repeated a lot in the generations.  It is very hard to work it out.  I also have the name Alice Hall, and Myers in my tree, also Mckissack (sp?)
I wish I could work it out? :)
Lucy
Myers  N Ireland
Rose Ann Daly N Ireland

Offline newbiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi - (and im not even sure who I'm replying to - is it AM?? I hope so!!

Well - my great grandma was from (? Joy St/Markets area) Belfast. She was called Rose Anne Smyth. So far as I know she died in child birth aged 18 with my grandad William in 1886 in the Workhouse in Belfast. He was raised there and then became a shoemaker. He later joined the Merchant Navy aged 12 ( I have his Naval papers). It's a sad wee story really even if her decendents have done not too bad! We can go no further in our search without tracing our great grandma and yours is the first post I have come across in her name. I would be so so grateful for any help or advice you could give me even if it's not your relative.  :)