Author Topic: Uxbridge St Liverpool  (Read 2037 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Uxbridge St Liverpool
« on: Wednesday 07 October 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for the family of my uncle's partner. I have her birth certificate which gives her place of birth Uxbridge Street - it's in the West Derby Registration District. I know that as an adult she lived in the Allerton area (on the estate we used to call The Economic) so it's possible it'll be around there.  I'm just trying to build up a picture - I spent most of my life in Liverpool, but I don't recognise that name (and don't have a Liverpool A-Z). Thanks for any help.
Lesley

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uxbridge St Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 14:20 BST (UK) »
Uxbridge St Liverpool L7 6

It is off Wavertree Rd

near Chanoss St/Tunnel Rd/Harke St

if that helps???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uxbridge St Liverpool - COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Suz. It's the right end of Liverpool so likely to be right, and will help me to find the family in the earlier censuses.
Lesley

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

You don't really need A to Zs anymore. If you search for Uxbridge St Liverpool and press Maps (top left) you get a view of how it is today. It looks that it has been split into two.

If you drag the 'Street View' man to the map you can see what it looks like.

Ken

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ken. I'm a bit of a dinosaur, with drawers full of A-Zs, but am going to explore this site, and may even end up being dragged into the 21st century!!
Thanks again - a useful tip.
Lesley

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 16:50 BST (UK) »
Well, I'm even more of a dinosaur than I thought - I can't even make it work when I've got instructions!

I put in uxbridge st liverpool, and a whole load of possible sites came up. There was no 'maps' in the top corner, but there was a link to streetmap, which found 5 possible uxbridge streets, none of them in Liverpool.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. My browser uses Yahoo search engine as default. I wonder if that's the problem? Like to know whether other people can get this to work, as it sounds pretty useful for family history.
Lesley

Offline TonyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

There is a map showing Uxbridge Street here :

1930s Uxbridge Street

See you,

Tony

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think Ken forgot to mention that the map was from Google.  Try  http://maps.google.co.uk/  and then type the address in the bar.  You can use the map view, change to a satellite view and zoom in or drag the little yellow man to where you want to see a street view.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mosie - I did wonder if it was my search engine that was different from Ken's. I've made a note of the google address, which I'm sure I will be using again.

Tony, thanks very much for that map which really took me down memory lane. My youngest son went to nursery in Chatsworth Street, and it seems that Uxbridge St was only round the corner. So now I know exactly where it was. Does seem like the family hit the good times later on, as when the daughter and my uncle were engaged they were living in a more affluent area. Very interesting -  I'm grateful for everyone's help - you've sorted my query and taught me something too.
Lesley