Author Topic: Greenhill Swansea  (Read 9682 times)

Offline annpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Greenhill Swansea
« on: Monday 07 March 05 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Is there any-one out there doing research about the Greenhill Area of Swansea, any information they may have would be very interesting.  With Thanks
Annpat
Evans Llanegwad
Powell Middleton Hall
Peterson  Netherlands
Harrison Bethnal Green

Offline RobHam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: GREENHILL SWANSEA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 March 05 16:42 GMT (UK) »
One of my families being researched resided in Greenhill, in Emma Street.  Street no longer exists.   There are very few resources on the web regarding this district however I recently discovered a web site that promises maps in the near future:-

http://www.page-net.com/swansea.localhistory/llansamlet/pages/swanseamaps.html
Information contained within Census look ups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Avoca

• RootsChat Extra
  • 1589 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 05 12:48 BST (UK) »
Is there any-one out there doing research about the Greenhill Area of Swansea, any information they may have would be very interesting.  With Thanks
Annpat

There is a very useful section on Greenhill in Norman L Thomas' book 'The History of Swansea's districts and villages'.  An autobiography 'Swansea Girl' makes reference to the district.

Emma Street is referred to in the Swansea Cholera reports.

I am not researching but have personal knowledge and some records. Come back if you feel I can help.

Bevan, Swansea and Gower - Bishopston, Pennard and Porteynon, Date, Swansea, and, Bridgwater and Porlock, Somerset, Hughes,  Llanbadarn Fawr, Aberystwyth and Talybont, Cardiganshire, Shea, Swansea, Morrissey, Swansea and Cappoquin, Clancy, Swansea and Avoca, Casey, Swansea, Balch, Swansea, Moore, Porlock, Somerset, Thomas, Swansea and Carmarthenshire, Jarvis/Jervis, Somerset, Murphy, Swansea and Ireland

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
Annpat

I have two interesting books on the Greenhill area and as my Irish ancestors settled there I have knowledge on this area. If that is any help to you?
Regards Jen  :)

Offline Kathleen41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
Jen is that you???? I have been looking all over for you.  If you know Kathleen from Pittsburgh please let me know.  Kathleen

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathleen  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Welsh Jen hasn't been on here since 2005 but f she still has the same email address, she should receive a notification of your posting.

Once you have made 3 postings on Rootschat, you will be able to send and receive Personal Messages (PMs with other Rootschatters:

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Kathleen41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 May 12 00:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Morgan  I've been trying to find her since 2003.  Just lost touch.  Went to UK 2 yrs ago but had no idea where she was.  :'( Thank for your info  Kathleen

Family lived in Greenhill before imigrating to U.S in 1880.

Offline Dee33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 January 14 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi my family came from greenrow greenhill swansea the mcintee s and davies .could you let me know the book names please many thanks

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhill Swansea
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 14 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dee  :)

You may find this link of interest:

http://kilvey.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/housing-in-greenhill/

There is a published book called "Little Ireland: Aspects of the Irish and Greenhill, Swansea (Studies in Swansea's history)" by R.T.Price, which was published by the City of Swansea in 1992.

Also "My Greenhill Far Away: A Swansea Boyhood (Studies in Hafod's History Soc)" by Brian Ahearne

Best Wishes
Morgan