Author Topic: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton  (Read 60975 times)

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burnside, Cockerton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 October 09 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin
You are right about the gap in the BT's for Aycliffe. I think you are right about the Robert in the 1841 census in Cockerton. The index shows him as alone however the image has an Isabella West at the same address. Robert had a sister named Isabel a quick check of the IGI brought up a marriage for Isabella Burnsides & Thos West in 1795 in Gainsborough, Lincoln, is this wishful thinking on my part.
Thank you Janis for confirming the IGI entry. Every little helps.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 October 09 10:10 GMT (UK) »
And there's not much I can add that you don't already know I'm afraid. I have saved this line for a rainy day as it is not one where I had any relatives to talk to about it. I can give you the following snippits whether they are any help is another matter...

If there is one line and Lavinia is in it, then I'm pretty certain that Lovehannah is her, her grandson lives with them for both the 1861 and 1851 census (I don't know who the child belongs to), he called his daughter Lavinia, the Cowleys also use a corruption of the name with daughters called Vinia/Vianer and Vina. On the 1851 census Lavinia is down as Vinah and the troubled ancestry transcriber has mis-written this as Sarah.

I was simply going to do what you have done and trawl and list any Cowley/Burnside mention in Cockerton, Brafferton and Aycliffe. I was also going to trawl Haughton Le Skerne as being Lavinia's parish of marriage. Lavinia and George Cowley are on every census in Walworth which could be a possible avenue of research also if her family followed her. The Cowleys stick around the Walworth and Piercebridge area until they migrate to Billingham, it looks like the original George Cowley and Lavinia die in Walworth though and don't make the trip but i have no death dates for them as yet or evidence of them beyond 1861. The remaining Cowleys spend time in Carlbury, Coniscliffe/Piercebridge and then move mostly on mass by Nov 1862 to Billingham and stay there, have a thousand children and are probably now related to every one there judging by the number of marriage certificates I have.

I also think that the grave I mentioned could well be the Burnsides further down the line, I have been through every Billingham record and there is no Burnisde presence there except for these two burials, that plus the reoccurrence of the names Joseph and Robert is suggestive of maintained family links across the distance.

The only other relatively useless thing I have is two logged possiblities for Burnsides found on the census accidently when I was looking for something else, they were: Elizabeth Burnside on the 1841 census living at Bondgate in Darlington with Ambrose aged 18 an ag lab , and Matilda aged 16 a farm girl. The other was logged as Mary Burnside aged 51 in 1851 and was the toll bar keeper ay Gainford, she has a visitor from Piercebridge stauing weith her and a grandchild from Cockerton. In 1841 she is an ag lab living with daughter Jane in Denton.

This is all I have at present I'm afraid.

Dan :)
Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 October 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan

Thanks for the input. It seems I am going to find every Burnside/s but the one I want  :'(. Its just going to be a case of trying to build family units were ever possible. They certainly dont help the cause by using the same names at the same times.

Gary

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 October 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
a lot of Darlington's parish records are available to view online as scanned images

Thanks for that, Dan, I had no idea this facility was available.  I too have Burnsides from Darlington/Aycliffe in my line

Elizabeth Burnside on the 1841 census living at Bondgate in Darlington with Ambrose aged 18 an ag lab , and Matilda aged 16 a farm girl.

Elizabeth [Watson] was my3xgreatgrandmother.  Her husband was also Ambrose Burnside, a Potter/Brazier/Traveller and they married 8/10/1803 at Auckland St Andrew.  I have only been able to find baptisms of their children in St Oswalds, Durham (Shincliffe) although the earliest I can find, Elizabeth bn. 3/5/1808, is shown as their “fourth child” in the baptism register so potentially plenty of room there for a Joseph and a Robert??  Ambrose was baptised bp. 16/8/1778 at Darlington and had a sister named, Lavinia, baptised 12/11/1786 along with ten other siblings, all the children of Edward and Elizabeth [Bousfield].
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 October 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ermy

I have found the burial records for 4 of your Burnsides children + Elizabeth. I would be happy to provide the links and image numbers should you wish to have them.

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ermy,

Here are the baptism details for their first 2 children at Auckland St Andrew.
1804, Elizabeth Burnside born Nov 20th, bapt Nov 28th, 1st daur of Ambrose Burnside, Potter, native of Blackwell, by his wife Elizabeth Watson, native of this Parish.
1806, Jane Burnside born Jan 15th, bapt Jan 18th, 2nd daur of Ambrose Burnside of Bishop Auckland, native of Blackwell near Darlington, by his wife Eliz. Watson native of Bishop Auckland.
 ;D ;D ;D

On the down side, I have the above Ambrose as being the son of Benjamin, baptised on 22 May 1779 at St Cuthbert's Darlington, and the one bapt in 1778 as the son of Edward, and being married to Elizabeth Hull of Staithes in Feb 1802 at St Cuthbert's.
 ???

Colin

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 October 09 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I would be happy to provide the links and image numbers should you wish to have them.
Gary

Yes please, Gary, that would be great.

On the down side, I have the above Ambrose as being the son of Benjamin, baptised on 22 May 1779 at St Cuthbert's Darlington, and the one bapt in 1778 as the son of Edward, and being married to Elizabeth Hull of Staithes in Feb 1802 at St Cuthbert's.
Colin

Thanks for the extra children, Colin.   Hmmm, yes, I dithered between the two Ambroses but leant towards 'my' Ambrose as the son of Edward because of the similarity of names in both families.  What led you to decide the other way round?
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 October 09 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ermy

I will post the link for Edward's wife tonight and the children in the morning.
Click on this link http://www.rootschat.com/links/076m/
Just in case you don't how to proceed from here, this is a quick run down.
left click Durham on the first page, in the next list (Parish) scroll down until you find PARLINGTON, left click it, you should now have 1762-1820 Darlington,St Cuthbert, left click on that and just underneath you should see 629 images, left click and that will take you to page 1 of the transcript. In the image box ( should be number 1) clear contents and type 86 and hit enter on your keyboard and that will take you to the page you want.
Sorry for the lecture but if you have never used the BT's before it can be a bit of a minefield.

Gary

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 October 09 22:44 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the extra children, Colin.   Hmmm, yes, I dithered between the two Ambroses but leant towards 'my' Ambrose as the son of Edward because of the similarity of names in both families.  What led you to decide the other way round?
Ermy

Hi Ermy,

I used the padded-wall method  ::)
Then I applied a bit of logic  8)

Elizabeth Hull was a widow with 2 sons and could have had daughters. The first child to Ambrose was Edward, and he was said to be 3rd son. The 1779 Ambrose would have been aged 22 so would be less likely to be able to afford to take on a ready-made family.

Any thoughts on this?
Colin