Author Topic: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies  (Read 52148 times)

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber: Archibald Mcdonald & Ann Gillies
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I missed a couple of your replies when I last replied.

Regarding the info on 41 census, Archibald would have been born c1791 and Ann c1796.

The Archibald who is buried at Cille Choirill Brae Lochaber in 1864 would have been born c 1785.

As yet, I don't know if either of the Archibalds is an ancestor: was just browsing in the book and thought it a bit odd to have two couples with the same names connected to the same small burial ground in so short a space of time.  But it happens.  Need to go and hunt down other census and death records to try to establish if either Archibald is connected - or if there is a third couple out there!

Thanks for your help.  Having the 41 census helped answer my original question.

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Did you come right with your Cille Choirill queries.  I have intimate knowledge of the graveyard and much of the history of the poeple buried there.  I can help further if you want?

Offline ohelen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 10 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Dear unachan

iI found your post sayting that you had good Knowledge of the incumbants of cille choirille graveyard. i'm sorry to hijack someone elses thread i will post a new one but i partically wanted to connect with you. I'm trying to track down a clementina macdonald, married to alen macdonald, she died about 1840. we believe that she was sister to farther Coll (1813 - 1889) however I'm unable to find any eveidence other than my family's word of mouth. sadly due to Uncle colls connection to mary mackillop alot  of geneologies are floating around on line with father colls bothers and sisters ( donald, catherine, Flora, Mary ) but we believe another sister clementina should be on there too....
Coll , his mother and I  believe sister catherine are burried at Cille choirille. Clementina had a son Angus in 1839 and his birth is registered at st margearets in Roy Bridge and their residence is noted as Bridge of Aonachan. I believe that she would have ben burried at Cille choirille. I have an article written about father coll by alex  campbell in the late 1950s. he said that father coll decided to join the priesthood in 1841 after te eath of his favourite sister.  we have always been told that clemetina died when angus was a baby so the stories stack up...i would just like sme eveidence...

If you could help in anyway ....
very best wishes, helen

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 February 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi ohelen1,

I am sitting in Mozambique right now and without my notes etc.  will respond in a few weeks!!

Unachan

Offline ohelen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 February 10 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear unachan,

Lucky you..  I love africa..but have never yet travelled to mozambique. I've  just re-read my post...hope it makes sense, I was in a hurry and there's some hefty typos in there!
Look forward to  hearing from you when you return..
many thanks, Helen

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 March 10 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

not on holiday unfortunately, I work in South African and I am working here for two weeks.

But still an interesting experience. I really know the family well you are talking about, have you heard of "Pirie-Watson", also wrote notes on the family which I have at home.

Till next week.

Unachan

Offline ohelen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 March 10 12:00 GMT (UK) »
 Dear unanchan,

Very excited to hear that you know the family ....from the way my family spoke about father coll we knew that he was a well known figure in the area and they were very proud of being associated with him. But it seems that my branch of the family has been lost to sight.
Clementina died leaving my great great gandfather as a baby.  Some-one has been doing some research because  In the Register from saint margarets there is a note in pencil saying that in 1841 Allen her husband is living alone in Aonachan and that he later went on marry sarah macpherson in 1846.
Now the word of mouth story goes that she was a widow with 2 children and one day when Angus was 11 those children  beat him up so badly that he went to his Uncle (father coll) in Fort wiliam and from there on in lived with him.....we were always told that Uncle Coll bought Angus up.

Angus was an only child and left scotland and settled in  Newark, he had 11 children and about 30 grandchildren so by now there must be hundreds of descendants....

I haven't heard of Pirie - Watson.  I live in surrey and have only visited scotland three times.  However this is very important to my mother  so I'm trying to research as much as possible and then visit Scotland with her in the Summer...

my husbands father was south african so we visit family there at least every two years. They have been some of our best memories..my children adore the place...I'm a bit more twitchy especially in Jo' burg.

I'll leave you in peace!

very best wishes, Helen

Offline Unachan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 March 10 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

intrigued as to your reference from St Margaret's, the originals were copied by Ann MacDonell Spean Bridge. She was a well known local family historian and made notes in her copies where she recognised the family.  I have a copy at home of that register. I also have a copy of the Kilmonivaig parish register which sometimes adds to local families.
Ann macDonell was co-author with me on pre 1900 gravestone inscriptions in Cille Choirill.
Father Coll's father was Angus 'drochaid" of the Cranachan family, Mother Mary's maternal grandfather was Donald "drochaid" and my great great grandfather Archibald "drochaid" was another brother. You do know i am sure that  Blessed Mary MacKillop is being canonised in October this year?
This is from my laptop, but I still need to see the rest of my notes.
The Pirie-Watson was father Vincent Pirie-Watson who was from a sister of father Coll, Catherine, he was a monk at fort augustus and if I remember rightly died in the early 1980's.

Unachan

Offline ohelen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 March 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
 Dear unachan,

I tried to send attachment but it looked  very odd as though a link was being made to my computer! If you send me  a personal post with an email I could send you the documents that  I have..

My mother is a practising catholic and became aware of the Blessed mary mackillop link when she visited the Clan Donald centre in her attempts to track down her gg grandmother. She told them that her gg gm was a sister to Father coll and out came the red carpet....except of course although we believe this to be a fact ... i can't  prove it.

The problem is there alot of geneologies floating around the internet on the Macdonalds of Cranachan , I'm no expert, yet I spot mistakes and inconsistencies, so I shouldn't be upset if Clementina isn't listed along side Father colls brothers and sisters..... however people use them as a primary source and the mistakes are being replicated.

The clan donald gave my mother details on catherine thinking may be she was the sister we were after...but she's not.  However Interesting to note is that her first born child in 1842 was called clementina...

I have promised to take  my Mother to Rome for the cannonisation....but feel it would also be prudent to establish that she was father colls sister first...  :)  Mind you any excuse to visit Rome....

Best wishes, Helen