Author Topic: Allen of Camus, Glenleary etc- Macoquin, Dunboe, Coleraine  (Read 15843 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allen of Camus, Glenleary etc- Macoquin, Dunboe, Coleraine
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 March 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting; let's make the links!

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I didn't have a note of Margaret Allen as a daughter of Robert, must have missed her.I have 6 children of Robert's. Let me have an email address and I'll send you what I have on them

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I have the marriage from the Coleraine Chronicle but it wasn't clear that she was Robert's daughter; just that she was from Camus; the newspaper report calls her Maggie

Offline mcmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:45 GMT (UK) »
We suppose there is a connection as the Margaret Allen we have is the daughter of a Robert Allen, a farmer of Glenleary. This is known from her wedding certificate. But apart from that known connection we haven't made a more positive connection than this. We know Robert Allen married Betty Whose surname was Henry and they had several children around the 1850's. But it is true we haven't yet found a record of Margaret among them. We do have her age when she married and her age when she died but unfortunately these are slightly inconsistent meaning we only know she was born between 1849 and 1853. One possible sign of a connection with Robert Allen and Betty Henry is that our Margaret Allen baptised her 3rd daughter ( Bessie McMichael) with the unusual middle name Henry which of course is the maiden name of Robert Allen's wife. If Margaret Allen is not the daughter of Robert and Betty then there was a second person named, Robert Allen, a farmer, from Glenleary having children at a very similar period but we have found no other records pointing to this. If you have good details about Robert and Bettys children we would be interested if only to rule out whether Margaret could possibly be a missing daughter of Robert and Betty.

Offline mcmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. It is the mother who was Margaret Ann (Anne) Allen we are looking for.

Offline Brown1777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linde

PRONI will records has a William Allen, farmer, of Camus County Londonderry who died on 07 April 1891 - the will "image" shows he had daughters Margaret Jane, a second whose name I cannot make out, and Lizzie, and sons James and John.  His wife is stated to be Margaret Ann.  Brown1777

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
PRONI will records has a William Allen, farmer, of Camus County Londonderry who died on 07 April 1891 - the will "image" shows he had daughters Margaret Jane, a second whose name I cannot make out, and Lizzie, and sons James and John.  His wife is stated to be Margaret Ann.  Brown1777

The Will says "I bequeath to my daughter Margaret Jane the sum of ..." and a daughter Easter also mentioned.

William Allen of Camus married Margaret Anne "Peggy" Cameron died 1914-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Somerset/Camus/1516797
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Somerset/Camus/587809
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05290/4470663.pdf

Son John died 1942, daughter Eliza born 1865
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Death letters-

Died at her residence, Camus on Thursday, 8th October, 1914 MARGARET ANN relict of the late William ALLEN. Her remains will be removed for interment in Macosquin Presbyterian Burying-ground on Saturday 10th inst. at the hour of Two o'clock p.m.  John Allen

Died at his residence, Camus, Coleraine on Sabbath 27th December 1942 JOHN ALLEN. The remains of my beloved husband will be removed for interment in Macosquin Presbyterian Burying-ground, on Tuesday 29th inst., at 2 p.m. (S.T.)  Elizabeth Allen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 March 17 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if anyone still interested in Allen families mentioned here but there is at least one gravestone in Camus Burying-ground-

Erected by Robert Allen of Glenleary in memory of his son Robert who died 27th May 1878 aged 11 years. Also his son William who died 12th April 1882 aged 26 years. Also his wife Betty who died 10th Jany. 1900

Death of Elizabeth Allen, married, age 75, registered by son J. Allen (deaths for the 2 above sons will eventually be put online)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05775/4632539.pdf
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Somerset/Glenleary/1516920
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Somerset/Glenleary/587923
Husband Robert died 1912- death registered by son James Allen-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1912/05377/4499889.pdf