Author Topic: COMPLETED Claud Butler of Fulham - with Carmarthenshire COMPLETED  (Read 16100 times)

Offline lizzieliza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Claud Butler of Fulham
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
The couple of births you have found in LLandovery, does this district come under Carmarthenshire by any chance? and if so, could you post details please?
Thanks

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

From FreeBMD

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Births Mar 1869 MORGAN  John    Llandovery  11a 701   
Births Sep 1870  Morgan  John     Llandovery  11a 658

I wouldn't rule out adjacent registration districts

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/cmn.htm

John Morgan is a common name so you can find on the censuses quite a few.

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I mentioned the ones in Llandovery as that registration district covered Llanwrda at the time, but there are plenty more John Morgan(s) in Carmarthenshire...
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline lizzieliza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 November 09 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Sounds like I have a long haul in front of me  :-\

Liz

Offline John Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 March 15 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
Many thanks to you all for your help, very much appreciated.
Liz

I am Claud Butler's son. John Morgan Butler was my grandfather therefore and I researched this information independently some years ago. My father's family was very poor. He built up his business from nothing. Claud's grandmother was Rachel Morgan of Llanwrda, she was illegitimate as she signed John Morgan's birth certificate with a cross. The father's name does not appear. I therefore believe it possible my grandfather, when he married, made up the name Martin Butler, a gentleman, or else he had been told this to cover up his illegitimacy. Rachel is unlikely to have brought him up and it is likely he had relatives across the valley who did this. He then moved to London as a draper,  like so many from west Wales at the time. I have a photo of him in London in the 1920s and plenty of family stories about him! My father never spoke of him, my mother though had some things to say about him. My sister, 10 years older than me, lives in the States and knew him as a child but knew nothing about his welsh origins. I wish I knew more about him. But I don't know who you are - do get in touch if you wish. I would love to hear from you.

Offline John Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED Claud Butler of Fulham - with Carmarthenshire COMPLETED
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 March 15 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I could give you further details if you're still interested, as I am Claud's son. Best wishes, John Butler

Offline John Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 14 March 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.
Many thanks to you all for your help, very much appreciated.
Liz

I am Claud Butler's son. John Morgan Butler was my grandfather therefore and I researched this information independently some years ago. My father's family was very poor. He built up his business from nothing. Claud's grandmother was Rachel Morgan of Llanwrda, she was illiterate as she signed John Morgan's birth certificate with a cross. The father's name does not appear. I therefore believe it possible my grandfather, when he married, made up the name Martin Butler, a gentleman, or else he had been told this to cover up his illegitimacy. Rachel is unlikely to have brought him up and it is likely he had relatives across the valley who did this. He then moved to London as a draper,  like so many from west Wales at the time. I have a photo of him in London in the 1920s and plenty of family stories about him. My father never spoke of him, my mother though had some things to say about him. My sister, 10 years older than me, lives in the States and knew him as a child but knew nothing about his welsh origins. I wish I knew more about him. But I don't know who you are - do get in touch if you wish. I would love to hear from you.