Author Topic: Robert Beveridge Currie  (Read 9485 times)

Offline philiprourke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Beveridge Currie
« on: Monday 12 October 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
of Seton House, Galashiels, born 1888 to Andrew L Currie & Mary Squair.
Cannot find Robert's Marriage or Death certificates in Scotland, possibly he dropped the Beveridge name, but don't think that's likely. Likely he may have emigrated. Robert was descended from Curries of Howford, and great nephew to John Lang Currie the Australian Pastoralist and Pioneer, so Australia as well as the US are possibilities
I don't discount WW1, but no obvious connections on CWG site.
Is there anyone researching the Currie family who can assist.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Beveridge Currie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 October 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
hi Jim(edit)

welcome to rootschat  :)

i'll make a start-
if he emigrated then it doesn't look like it was with his family as there is a
death for mary currie(other surname squair) 1912 galashiels selkirk b. c1847

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline philiprourke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 October 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev
Thanks for a quick reply.
No, his parents died in Galasheils, and I've found marriages for most of his siblings. His father and Uncle George Hardie Currie(m. another Squair sister) appear to have had interests in the Woolen industry.
At least one of his siblings (Andrew, Agnes & William) died in Edinburgh.  Robert is the only one not found.

Apologies I didn't sign original posting, Philip Rourke is my GGF,  and are my father's forenames

Jim

Offline libraryalison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am the granddaughter of Agnes Currie, presumably Robert's sister (certainly all the other familt names you have tie in). The only problem is that in the research that my cousin and I have been doing into the Currie family, the name Robert hasn't appeared! I would be interested in any dates you have for the siblings, and would be happy to exchange any other information we have for this family

Offline libraryalison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Jim for the PM, but I can't reply until I have done more postings. This is definitely the same family, but Robert seems to have been left out of the family history as it was passed down to me. There was talk of a "black sheep" who was cut off, but I had assumed it was William (more commonly called Fred). Andrew was married and lived in Gattonside, has 2 daughters, but I think that line of the family has now died out.

Offline philiprourke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 January 12 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Robert B Currie found on 1911 Census age 23, at Seton House, Galashiels, with parents Mary & Andrew and sister Ethel May. However still no further indications of either marriage or death, nor any record on CWGC, war dead site.
Immigration remains a possibility but no obvious records on Ancestry Immigration records that use the Beveridge middle name.

Jim

Offline philiprourke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 November 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
For completion, Robert Beveridge Currie, details in initial post, died in Dunedin N.Z. in 1917 @age of 29. It notes a marriage to Isabella Hart in Edinburgh, and that he was in NZ for 1 yr. only. No other details of wife, informant was the Undertaker. Presume he was  on his own.
Death Heart attack due to heart degeneration.

Offline seymour14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 22 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how much of a help this could be.
Currently two postcards on TradeMe in New Zealand for sale. I have copied the images out of interest for you. I have been writing a book about the history of Ashhurst here in New Zealand, there are a lot of Curries/Currys, here.
Was not sure if this Robert Currie was connected, and then I noticed the back of the cards which had Robert Beveridge Currie! Quick search online and I found your discussion, so fingers crossed this could be of help to you all.

Offline philiprourke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 February 22 13:04 GMT (UK) »
seymour14
Many thanks for the copies of the Postcards, this is very likely Robert, but unfortunately we have no photographs of Robert to confirm.
Robert left UK in 1912 and landed in Wellington same year. The next siting of him is his death in 1917
in Otago in the South Island
I do however suspect this is him, and he looks in the right age bracket
Thanks again

philip