Author Topic: San Francisco Census Look up please  (Read 9321 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco Census Look up please
« Reply #36 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
Using worldcat.org, as I mentioned above, there are some of those journals in various libraries. 

In case the original poster comes back, the California death index up to 1939 is now available on www.familysearch.org.  You have to browse through by page, but you should be able to see if he died when you think he did.  The San Francisco library does do obituary look-ups if you have the date - http://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2000049301

Offline stellamaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 19 August 12 02:58 BST (UK) »
Great work finding them and mother Catherine in 1920 Lisa, and Catherine in 1910.

Ali, what more is required on this?  We have Josephine and her famiy back to at least 1870 in New York, and Thomas back to 1900 pre-marriage.  Also there are indications that Josie's father Oliver joined the 48th NY Infantry in 1865 (US Civil War) and deserted a few months later.

Do you want to try and pursue this family back to marriage, probable births in Canada, etc?

Nick

Just noticed your reference to Oliver Bushey, my husbands gg grandfather.  Oliver's daughter Amelia (Josephine's sister) married George McAbee.  The McAbee's moved from Quebec to Franklin County, NY in 1860's, then to San Jose, California in 1870's.  I see now that the Bushey family also followed this path. 

I am interested in Nickgc's reference to Oliver and Civil War desertion.  Would you pls let me know the source ?

Thanks
Mary

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 20 August 12 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thomas Gibney lived in St. Paul. Minnesota in 1898-9 and worked on the construction of the Minnesota State Capitol.  According to the St. Paul City Directory of 1898 he was boarding at 193 Fuller along with John Gibney and several other stone cutters including William J. Harvey, Daniel King and William White.  All these men were itinerant stone cutters and they are very difficult to trace.  There is a picture of Thomas Gibney in the St. Paul Globe newspaper of 27 Feb. 1899 on p.8.  He was a Union activist, like many stone cutters, and there are some other references to him in the Globe.  I can't figure out how to post the picture here but you can get it on the Library of Congress newspaper website. 
I, and several others, are working on a project researching the construction workers on the Minnesota Capitol.  If anyone has actually found any of those old Stone Cutter Journals (other than the few on Google Books) please let me know!

John,

Many thanks your most welcome contribution to our search! It has helped greatly to confirm and find new information about Thomas. Can I ask how you knew about him? Are there records for people like Thomas, maybe with a Stonecutters organisation?

Stellamarie,

were you aware of Josie's husband Thomas before this? Do you have family pictures of Josie? We have one photo of Josie and Thomas together as an older couple.

Regards,
Alison & Grainne

(I think I have successfully attached the image of Thomas from the Globe, 1899, below)

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90059523/1899-02-27/ed-1/seq-8/print/image_681x591_from_0%2C3335_to_2348%2C5375/
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline JohnSielaff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 20 August 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Stellamarie,
I came across Thomas Gibney in the course of my research on the construction of the Minnesota State Capitol.  It's a project, called "Who Built the Capitol," that has several facets, one of which is to make an educational video with interviews of descendants of some of the workers.  Believe it or not we've found a few who knew about their great grandfather working there.  We will also be making a web site to display our findings.  I'm working on a map to show where the workers lived in St. Paul and it can be viewed here: http://www.communitywalk.com/capitol_construction_workers_18981899/map/1523681
Looking at worldcat the best collection of Stone Cutter's Journal magazines seem to be at either Stanford or the New York Public Library.  Not too convenient for me but I will get to one of those locations someday! 
Do you, or any or your relatives, have any tools that belonged to Thomas?  Or anything he wrote down - letters etc.?  We're just trying to get an idea what the life of the itinerant stone cutters was like.  Thanks much, John   

Offline stellamaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 23 August 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Alicat & John

I have not searched the Bushey family in depth, and this is the first time I have heard of Thomas Gibney and the Journeyman StoneCutters.  That's a great drawing of him in the Globe. 
My SIL has the old family photo albums.  Lots of old McAbee photo's from early 1900s at the fruit farm in San Jose.  Of course no names written on back.    Perhaps Thomas & Josie visited her sister Amelia at the farm ?  I probably won't see SIL before Christmas.  If you would post the photo of Thomas & Josie, I'll take a look and see if any similarities in the old albums.  Might help identify Amelia too.
Unlikely to find any of Thomas' tools or writings, but I'll ask around and let you know.

California Death Index on FamilySearch:  Thomas Gibney died 18 Mar 1933, San Francisco City (code 90), age 51, wife's initial J.
Stanford Library is close by, and I sent Email to see about a copy Thomas' death notice from Stone Cutter's Journal.  (Alison did you try SF Library for obituary/newspaper article ?)

Here's a link about stonecutter union wages in San Francisco from Spokane Daily Chronicle 19 Apr 1912 :  http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=WL9XAAAAIBAJ&sjid=E_QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6160%2C5682126
And this blog has interesting details about stonecutter history and San Francisco :  http://stonecutter.blogspot.com/2011/04/lost-trade-of-stone-cutting.html

I love these interesting digressions of my family history research.
Cheers
Mary

Offline stellamaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 31 August 12 00:58 BST (UK) »
From The Stone Cutters Journal, May 1933, p.16, Obituary
"GIBNEY - Thomas, a member of our San Francisco Local, died suddenly from a fall he received while working on the Post Office wall.  He was taking down part of the granite when his crowbar slipped from under the anchor, causing him to lose his balance, and he fell to the ground some thirty-five feet below.  The accident happened on March 17th, about two o'clock; Brother Gibney died the next morning at five.  The late Brother was fifty-one years of age, and had been president of the San Francisco Local for a number of years.  All members and friends extend sincerest sympathy and condolences to the bereaved family."

Offline JohnSielaff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 31 August 12 04:49 BST (UK) »
Mary,
Thanks so much for finding that obituary of Thomas Gibney.  I am adding the information to my map of workers on the Minnesota State Capitol.  http://www.communitywalk.com/capitol_construction_workers_189818991900/map/1523681 
Details like this do much to help us understand what life was like for these workers.  Six men died in the construction of the Capitol - five in falls similar to Thomas Gibney's.