Author Topic: James R Yeowell's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 36858 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
James R Yeowell's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 06:43 BST (UK) »

This is going to be a complicated Hunt this week, but James knows this and has an alternate if it becomes too difficult.   Please read Post 1 and Post 2 before going ahead.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Barbara

Apologies if this is rather lengthy but an outline of the family needs to be shown first.  It is a rather complicated one this week!

Anyhow, here it is:

Lodington/Edwards

My 2nd Great Grandmother Mary Edwards married William Hold on 2 August 1880 at the Parish Church at St. Mary, Newington, Surrey.  Her father is indicated as Beverley Edwards.  Witnesses to the marriage were Beverley Edwards and Buley Edwards.

Beverley Edwards is actually Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington and he was born in 1826 in Harwich, Essex.  He married Eleanor Sarah Fortye Millis on 26 September 1848 at Trinity Church, Lambeth, Surrey.  His father is Thomas Edward Lodington.  Witnesses to the marriage were Sarah Avery and Ellen Lodington.

Beverley Lodington is found with his father Thomas Lodington, mother Mary and sister Bessie on the 1841 census in Gee Street, St. Luke, Finsbury.  At the time of his marriage to Eleanor Millis, he is resident at Carlisle Street, Lambeth and is a Sailor.

HO107/668/5/  En. Sch. 7 Page 6

At the 1851 census he is living with his wife Eleanor at 40 Gravel Lane, Christ Church, Southwark and working as a Waiter.

HO107/1557/420/51

After this, everything starts to become interesting.

Two children are born before the 1861 census but after the 1851 census:

1. Edward Melville Richard Lodington - born March Quarter 1852 in Poplar Registration District; died March Quarter 1853, St. George Southwark R.D.
2. Beverley Edwards Thomas Richard Lodington - born September Quarter 1853 in Poplar.

At the time of the 1861 census, Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington is resident at 7 Bedford Place, Walworth (and now a Potman).  However, he is now called Beverley Edwards and is living with Buley Edwards (more about her below), his eldest son Beverley (now also surnamed Edwards) and 4 other children:

3. Mary Edwards - born about 1855, Newington (my 2nd Great Grandmother mentioned above)
4. Thomas Edwards - born about 1856, Newington
5. Candler Edwards - born about 1858, Newington
6. Elizabeth Edwards - born about 1859, Newington

In 1871 (RG10/611/100/7) they are now living at 74 Wellington Street, St. Mary Newington (Beverley is now a Broker) with 3 more children:

7. Buley Edwards - born 8 December 1861 at 7 Bedford Place, Alfred Place, St. Peter Walworth, Newington.  She is daughter of Beverley Edwards and Buley Gerrard
8. Ellen Edwards - born about 1863, Newington
9. Matilda Elly Edwards - born June Quarter 1867, Newington

In 1881 they are resident at 129 East Street, Newington (Beverley is a Carman and Broker) in 1891 and 1901 they are at 181a Peckham Park Road, Peckham (Beverley is a Furniture Dealer).

Buley is noted as wife in all census except the 1881 where she said to be Niece (with a rather non-committal mark in the Marriage column for her)

Now to the searches I am after:

1. Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington's christening (perhaps in Harwich -- his eldest brother Edward Clarence Lodington was born and christened in France whilst his other older brother Candler Lodington was born At Sea but no christening has been found for him either) so I can prove who his mother was
2. Did Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington marry Buley Gerrard? - I cannot find any proof they did
3. What happened to Beverley's wife Eleanor Sarah Fortye Millis? - I can find no death, or any trace of her after the 1851 census
4. The children Mary, Thomas, Candler and Elizabeth Edwards cannot be found on FreeBMD (although I may have found Mary) -- who was their mother?
5. Was the son Beverley Edwards Thomas Richard Lodington, later Edwards, the son of the wife Eleanor?
6. When did Buley Edwards aka Gerrard die?
7. Ultimately, any thoughts about why Beverley Lodington changed his surname.  Was it due to the presumed living in-sin with Buley Edwards?
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James R Yeowell's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 06:44 BST (UK) »

Part 2.

I also have some other things to search for, just in case these are too difficult:

Thomas Edward Lodington (father of Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington) apparently married someone by the name of Mary Ellen.  I cannot find a marriage for this couple.  However, I also have reference to him being married to Ann Burrell on 16 July 1817 at Kirk Ella, Yorkshire.  Ann died on 4 October 1865 in Edmonton R.D., London but was buried in Woking cemetery, Surrey.  I did find her in one of the census but not with her husband.

Can someone find his marriage to Mary Ellen (and is Ellen her surname or a middle name?) and also check the marriage to Ann Burrell?

Thomas Edward Lodington was also an Ensign (later a Lieutenant) in the 53rd Regiment of Foot and was a cripple by 1834 (he was indicted for simple grand larceny at the Old Bailey).  He seems to have served abroad (his eldest son was born in Paris on 22 June 1820), probably in France.

Any further information about his army career would be of great help.  Was he perhaps injured in battle?

Was his being found guilty of the above crime (he was respited due to his ill health) another reason why his son Beverley may have changed his surname?

The Lodington family were quite well respected (a line of Clergyman, some clerks, some merchants and even a solicitor), so a downturn in this branch may well have been a big reason for a change of surname.

If anyone finds any of the above too difficult to check, I can come up with further enquiries related to the same family.  In fact, anything related to the Lodingtons is most useful.  It is almost a one-name study in its own right for me now.

One final note to help you all.  The surname has been found as Lodington, Loddington, Ledington, Ludington, Luddington and Liddington.  Maybe a few others as well.

Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 07:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

have you been able to find out what Thomas Edward Lodington's regimental number was?

If he was invalided out there will be records available in the National Archives or rather there should be.   

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

however although there are over 2000 entires for the 53rd there are none for LODINGTON and I would have expected as an officer that he would have been recorded.

Will look at some other sites to see if I can find him.

http://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/ksli/shrop_museum.htm
is  a point to start.

also http://books.google.com.au/books?id=AMJa2uGxWrcC&pg=RA1-PA773&lpg=RA1-PA773&dq=%22Thomas+Edward++lodington%22&source=bl&ots=K__l83hiXg&sig=GNCUXMk3rUCxyfJ3jWWSq-rLDlQ&hl=en&ei=NyDUSp7tOcv-kAWHtID-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Thomas%20Edward%20%20lodington%22&f=false

for 1847 where his pension is taken away.

There is a 1848 will fro a Thomas Lodington in the National Archives.

good hunting all

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 08:11 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Lodington who died in 1848 was a former "Secondary in the Court of Common Pleas" aged 87, Per The Era of 29 October
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thomas Edward Lodington of Little Surrey Street was buried 15 September 1845 at St George the Martyr, Southwark.

His marriage to Ann Burrell took place at St George Hanover Square, July 16 1817

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi James.....

You can probably access this one......  ;)

Mary Edward baptised 11th June 1873 at St Anne, South Lambeth.
Parents  = Beverly Edward and Boley Edward.

Dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 09:20 BST (UK) »

PLEASE NOTE

Eleanor Sarah Fortye Millis was christened on 18 November 1832 at St. Mark the Evangelist, Clerkenwell, London (and was likely born in Eliza Place, Sadler's Wells, Clerkenwell).
This should have been added to the second post.

Sorry.
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 09:40 BST (UK) »
how did i miss this ?
 :)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
Another daughter for Thomas E:

Delphine Catherine Prior Schwartz Lodington

Bap 11 April 1834 St Dunstan, Stepney

Parents Thomas Edward, Gent., and Mary

Buried St Leonard Shoreditch, April 1835 aged 2 years 3 months. Abode St Mathw Bethnal Green