Author Topic: James R Yeowell's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 36854 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James R Yeowell's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 11:17 BST (UK) »
so a simple sear of Thomas Edward Lodington brigs up the following (some you have but thought would post all in one place ):  :)

London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980
 Thomas Edward Lodington
born circa 1797
Death:  15 Sep 1845 - Southwark

Beverley Edwards Thomas Richard Lodington
Birth:  Sep 1853 - Poplar   

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921

Name:  Beverly Turton [sic] Edward Lodington
Spouse:  Eleanor Sarah Fortye Millis
Father:  Thomas Edwards Lodington
Birth:  abt 1848
Marriage:  26 Sep 1848 - Lambeth,

Delpine Catherine Prior Schwartz Lodington
Mother:  Mary Lodington
Father:  Thomas Edward Lodington
Birth:  11 Apr 1834 - Tower Hamlets, Middlesex

Name:  Candler Lodington
Spouse:  Fanny Barns
Birth:  abt 1850
Marriage:  12 Aug 1850 - Lambeth, Middlesex  :-\
strange thing there with the years

Name:  Bessie Cannter Ellen Lodington
Spouse:  Gottlieb John Richards
Birth:  abt 1855
Marriage:  5 Mar 1855 - City of London, London
ditto
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
I'll be back on later (at work now)
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thomas Edward Lodington is mentioned in the
The United service magazine, Volume 1847

Military Promotions page 773

i think its dated 1830
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Greetings all.

Thanks firstly for the look-ups.  I do know a lot about my Lodingtons but anything new is always welcomed.  It also seems you have some different sources to me, which is always useful.

A few things:

I know about most of the children of Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington but apart from one child, Buley Edwards, I have yet to determine who the mother is.  I presume the eldest two, who seem to have been born with the surname Lodington, were children of Eleanor.  I do have a FreeBMD reference to order a certificate for Beverley Edwards Thomas Richard Lodington (who incidently also is known as Beverley Edwards).

Buley Gerrard/Edwards is still alive in 1901 and is living at 181a Peckham Park Road, Peckham.  The same address as the family were resident in 1891.

Beveley died in 1902, so he would not be on the 1911.  I have yet to actually check any 1911 extracts though.

Yes, Buley Gerrard is the one christened 23 May 1824 at Stoke Abbot, Dorset and daughter of Stephen Gerrard and Betty Whetham.

It still does not seem that this couple married though.  Buley was from a much poorer background than his wife Eleanor too.

As for Thomas Edward Lodington, well I know a lot less about him.  I know he was found guilty at the Old Bailey and respited (and was said to be a cripple) but he didn't didn't die until 1845.  He was buried 15 September 1845 at St. George the Martyr, Southwark and was resident of Little Surrey Street as you have already mention.

It is his army career I am trying to seek more information about.  I have this, if this helps:

Army career:

Commissioned on 25 May 1815 in 4th Regiment of Foot
Half-pay: 29 June 1820 (53rd Regiment of Foot) exchanged with Ensign John Charles Barkley.

INSOLVENT DEBTORS COURT

Thomas Edward LODDINGTON, an ensign of the 53rd regiment, on half-pay, whose
case has already been before the Court, was today again brought up to be
discharged.

The Court directed that he should pay 25 pounds per annum to his creditors
out of his half-pay and the insolvent was then discharged.

His half-pay was cancelled from the 26th October 1830, inclusive upon his receiving a commuted allowance for his commission.

I found some of this in The London Gazette.  I also believe there maybe more mention of him in The Times but I do not have access to this resource.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Lodington who died in 1848 was a former "Secondary in the Court of Common Pleas" aged 87, Per The Era of 29 October

This is my my 5th Great Grandfather and the father of Thomas Edward Lodington (and his siblings).  He died in Barnsbury Square., Islington and is found on the 1841 census with his son-in-law Manoel Joaquim Soares (a Portuguese born General Commissions Clerk -- a very interesting family as well!) and family, at Highbury Lodge, Islington.

I am also trying to determine whether this is the same Thomas Lodington who appears to have been a Solicitor.  His name appears quite a lot in The London Gazette but I have found little else out about him.

Whilst I am here, could someone perhaps take a quick browse of The Times, where there is mention of the marriage between Camilla Mary Basset Lodington and Manoel Joaquim Soares on 28 August 1824 at St. George, Bloomsbury, London.  I do not have access to the archive but noticed that this marriage was mentioned when I looked the other day on the GALE Archive.  It may not enlighten me any further but any new information is always welcomed.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

have you been able to find out what Thomas Edward Lodington's regimental number was?

If he was invalided out there will be records available in the National Archives or rather there should be.   

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

however although there are over 2000 entires for the 53rd there are none for LODINGTON and I would have expected as an officer that he would have been recorded.

Will look at some other sites to see if I can find him.

http://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/ksli/shrop_museum.htm
is  a point to start.

also http://books.google.com.au/books?id=AMJa2uGxWrcC&pg=RA1-PA773&lpg=RA1-PA773&dq=%22Thomas+Edward++lodington%22&source=bl&ots=K__l83hiXg&sig=GNCUXMk3rUCxyfJ3jWWSq-rLDlQ&hl=en&ei=NyDUSp7tOcv-kAWHtID-DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Thomas%20Edward%20%20lodington%22&f=false

for 1847 where his pension is taken away.

There is a 1848 will fro a Thomas Lodington in the National Archives.

good hunting all

Robyn

Thanks for these links.

No, I do not have a regimental number for him.

I think he was commissioned anyhow.  I know he was definitely an Ensign and was definitely in the 53rd Regiment of Foot.  It also seems he started off in the 4th Regiment of Foot.

Perhaps he was transferred again?

He may not have been invalided out.  It is just he was only in his 30s when he was said to be a cripple and unless something else happened, it seems likely he may have been injured in battle.

Having said that though, he was having children in the 1820s, one in Paris, one At Sea and one in Harwich (and a daughter who I cannot determine a birth place for yet).  It does not appear that he went back abroad after this but he could well have.  He obviously took his wife with him the first time.

Addendum: that is strange his pension was taken away 2 years after his death... he is also noted as an Ensign here.  Perhaps he was never commissioned then.  Is the date of 1847 correct?

Addendum2: this actually dates from 1830, which is a much better fit.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
a quick browse of The Times

That 1824 announcement says that the marriage was conducted by the Rev Francis Wm Lodington of Clare Hall Cambridge, that Camilla was the 4th daughter of Thomas, of Park Crescent, Portland Place
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:30 BST (UK) »
a quick browse of The Times

That 1824 announcement says that the marriage was conducted by the Rev Francis Wm Lodington of Clare Hall Cambridge, that Camilla was the 4th daughter of Thomas, of Park Crescent, Portland Place

That ties in with the certificate I have seen.  Rev. Francis William Lodington, B.D., M.A, B.A., rector of Brington and Bythorn, was a 1st Cousin 1 time removed of Camilla.  In fact, his brother Rev. Henry John Lodington also oversaw a marriage for one of his cousins.

I did not have an address before though, so that helps.

Thank you for that.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thomas Edward Lodington of Little Surrey Street was buried 15 September 1845 at St George the Martyr, Southwark.

His marriage to Ann Burrell took place at St George Hanover Square, July 16 1817

Does this marriage indicate his middle name as being Edward or Edwards?

It is just I have christening details for two of his children and both indicate his wife was Mary Ellen.

EDWARD CLARENCE LODINGTON
     Male         
Born: 22 JUN 1820      
Christening:     09 AUG 1820      British Embassy Chapel, Paris, Seine, France

Parents:
     Father:     THOMAS EDWARD LODINGTON
     Mother:     MARY ELLEN

He is the eldest child.

He was buried 8 November 1826 at Bunhill Fields Burial Ground, Finsbury, London and was of the City Road.

Then you have their youngest child, Delphine Catherine Prior Schwartz Lodington, who was christened 11 April 1834 at St. Dunstan, Stepney and was buried 9 April 1835, at St. Leonard's, Shoreditch, London.

The 3 middle children I have no birth/christening details for at all.

Bessie Caunter Ellen Lodington was born circa 1821 (I have no idea where).  She married Gottlieb John Richards on 5 March 1855 at St. Bride, Fleet Street.  However, I cannot find them on any census.  There is also a marriage for a Bessie Caunter Ellen Lodington and Thomas George Smith on 25 December 1842 at St. Mary at Lambeth, but I think this is just for Banns and the marriage may never have been consummated.

Can anyone check this for me?

Candler Lodington, was born circa 1824, At Sea.  As previously mentioned, he married Fanny Barns (daughter of Edmund Barns, an Office Clerk)

Beverley Purton Edwards Lodington, was born circa 1826 in Harwich, Essex.  His marriage certificate indicates his father as Thomas Edward Lodington.

So was Ann Burrell known as Mary Ellen, or was this yet another case of bigamy?  Ann Burrell died on 4 October 1865 in Edmonton Registration District and was buried in Woking, Surrey.

I did find her in the 1841 census, living with her mother Mary Burrell: HO 107/341/9/10 page 8

No trace of her after that though, from what I can see.

This is also strange, because her supposed husband was still alive and living in London.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Hereford (Sufton)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)