Author Topic: Knockaloe photo search  (Read 8179 times)

Offline victorsj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Knockaloe photo search
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
Re Knockaloe camp Isle of Man has anyone got any photos of  internees in Camp 3 Compound 2 (hut 1b)?? if so could you email them to me please. Thanks v much

Offline lynnec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Knockaloe photo search
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 September 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you realise this, but there's an interesting book (with photos) on the Knockaloe Camp - "Living with the Wire".  Go to:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Wire-Civilian-Internment-During/dp/0901106356 to order. I have a copy and can check if there are photos of the camp/compound you list, if required.  There are many general photos too.  Let me know.
Herbert Thorpe Callister - went missing in Ellesmere Port in 1920s (b.1903)
John James Callister (b.1874, d.1922) - have death certificate but no burial info

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
The  book   is  on  sale ,  I  believe ,  for   half  those  prices  at   the   Manx  Museum   shop,   Douglas  &

they  provide  a postal  service.   Most  of   the  photos  are   of   Camp   1V.

Offline victorsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 September 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your emails.  I would appreciate it if you could look in the book to see if there are any photos of Camp 3, Compound2, hut 1b.
Many thanks, we are waiting to hear from the International Red Cross to see if they have any record of what happened to Grandfather - he never returned home to England. Regards.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 September 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
Would   you  be  able   to   give   his   name  &   birthcountry   /   nationality?

Are  you  aware   that   only  a  small  number  of   the   24,000+   men  were  allowed  to   return  home

to  the   UK.   There  were  lenghty   appeals  tribunals.   Many   were   unfortunately   deported back   to

Germany  &   only   small  numbers of  wives  &   children   chose  to  go   to   endure  anti   British 

feeling/ most  stayed in   Britain , separation   &  possibly  divorce  following

Offline victorsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 September 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is where we have a bit of a tricky problem - we think that grandfather was Jewish and he changed his name around a bit.  What we do have are the names John Arthur Herold (or could be Rolf-Herold as a surname). He also called himself William on one document. My husband's surname is Herold but on one of the birth certificates of grandfather's children the surname os given as 'Rolf-Herold' - thanks for any help you can give at all.  We ahve no idea at all what became of him.

Offline victorsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
P.S. Grandfather came from Germany - we understand Dresden - originally although he was living in Manchester when he was interned. Thanks

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
This   probably  means   that   Grandfather   was  not  a practising  Jew   as   many  Jewish  internees  were   put  in   a  Mens' holiday  camp  in   Douglas  , the   capital   of  the  island It   had   been   a   tented   camp   for  summer  use. Later   huts  were  provided   &   one  part  of  camp   called   ---The
Jewish   Camp. They   were  able  to   have   services, celebrate festivals &  were  provided  with
Kosher  food.   But   as   you  say   there  must  have been  some  at   Knockaloe.

Offline lynnec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 September 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick look in the book, but sadly there are no specific images of the camp/compound you mention, that I can see.  Most are of Camp IV.  However, there are a lot of unspecified shots of the events, arts, theatre groups, etc that you may find interesting.  Hope this helps!
Herbert Thorpe Callister - went missing in Ellesmere Port in 1920s (b.1903)
John James Callister (b.1874, d.1922) - have death certificate but no burial info