Author Topic: Knockaloe photo search  (Read 8180 times)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knockaloe photo search
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 September 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
Yesterday   I  checked  the  Museum Shop bookshelves. The  book is  being  reprinted   &  will  be   on sale
in December.  Price  as  yet  unknown   but   I   am  quite  sure  much  less  than  the  internet  price.

i   looked  at  2 boxes  of  photos     exterior  &  interior   views----as   varied  in  subject  as  possible.
Many  include  groups of   men  at  work  &  leisure  ,an  amazing   variety  of   sports -  gym,  bowling,
theatre, orchestra,craftwork.  Posed  groups  of  men  from   individual  huts  seem  to  have  been  turned   into  postcards  &   sent  to   family in  UK  &   now  donated  to  the  Museum &  therefore  the
sender has been  identified  whereas  most  are  just  groups of internees /  aliens   as  they  were  then
known  Many  of  the  inmates did  I   understand call  themselves  "Most  loyal enemy aliens"   ---meaning   loyal to  the  British Crown. There  was only one named photo of Camp3 Compound 2   no  hut
number---a  group of smartly dressed ,well groomed &  apparently well  fed men who were neighbours,posing at  the  entrance door.

Offline victorsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 September 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay, have been on holiday. Thank you very much for your reply.
We are now waiting for the International Red Cross to come back to us with any info re what happened to Grandfather. Many thanks, will let you know how we get on.

Offline knockaloe.im

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 March 18 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victor

We Have John Arthur Herold from Chorton-Cum-Hardy, Manchester on our database.

If you want to get in contact we would hope to be able to find out more for you over the next year - our database goes "live" in the Isle of Man in March 2019 as we are still working on it bringing the various sources of information into the database on the 40,000 Germans and Austrians we have detailed.

We should like to find out a little more from you to allow us to get the information collated on him. If you would like us to help and if you would like to share your family story please do contact us via info@knockaloe.im

Kind regards

Alison