Author Topic: Sutherlands  (Read 26638 times)

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherlands
« Reply #27 on: Friday 23 October 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ostler

LOL that would be great I have Janet as being the one who went on to wed a James McGregor on 14 Sep 1837 at Latheron.  I still might be fumbling but it keeps me oiut of trouble lol.

I was trying to search old maps last night trying to identify places as it would appear that my family lived in Lybster, Berriedale, Latheron and places that no longer exist. 

Again I am just trying to put meat onto the bones as to the kind of life people lived.

Thanks again, any information is greatly appreciated.

Almost forgot to ask, I recieved some paperwork and on on page it mentions Latheron Parish Poors Cash (says Cook) Book  1842 Latheronwheel district, Widow Charles McGregor 4/-  paid to Joseph McKay.  The following year he pays to himself (says herself) four shillings? Would you have any idea where I would start with this one?

Jim   
McGregor, Sutherland

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I didn't find anything out on Janet I'm afraid.

Anne, son of John and Esther, died 21st March 1915 in Newport, Berriedale age 97 years. She never married. Her nephew-in-law, George Chisholm, was the informant. I have my suspicions that George was actually her great nephew-in-law.

Ann's brother Hugh was the only other person in the family I could find anything out on. He was a master shoemaker and died age 90 in Knockally. He married Barbara Gunn, 1st January 1836 and she died 31st August 1907 age 98 years. They had at least nine children:

Donald (1836-1914)
Ann (1838-1914)
Esther (1840-?)
Williamina (1842-1866)
John (c1845-1899)
Isabella (c1847-?)
Robert (c1849-?)
Barbara (c1851-1873)
Hugh (1857-1883)

Donald Sutherland was born 25th September 1836 and died 20th April 1914 in Knockally age 78 years. Like his father he was a master shoemaker. He married Annie Grant in Dunbeath on 5th February 1857. They had at least four children:

Barbara (1861-1961)
Hugh Grant (1866-1921)
Donald Grant (1873-1929)
Isabella Esther (1879-?)

Ann Sutherland was born 23rd August 1838 and died 5th November 1914 in Dunbeath age 77 years. She married John Sinclair on 4th February 1859 in Dunbeath. They had at least nine children:

George (1859-?)
Hugh (1860-?)
John (1862-?)
Catherine (1864-?)
Williamina (1866-?)
Donald (1868-?)
James (1870-?)
Barbara Esther (1872-?)
Donaldina (1874-?)

Williamina Sutherland was born 24th September 1842 and died 2nd May 1866 in Knockally age 24 years. She never married.

John Sutherland was born c1845 and died 25th August 1899 in the Square, Ellon, Aberdeenshire age 55 years. He married Isabella Sutherland.

Barbara Sutherland was born c1851 and died 25th February 1873 in Knockally age 21 years. She never married.

Hugh Sutherland was born 23rd January 1857 in Knockally and died 28th May 1883 also in Knockally age 26 years. He was a journeyman shoemaker and never married.

Barbara Sutherland was born 21st April 1861 in Ramscraig, Dunbeath and died 21st October 1961 in "Seaview", Inver, Dunbeath, age 100 years. She married Mackay Sinclair Gunn McLeod.

Hugh Grant Sutherland was born 6th February 1866 in Ramscraig and died 7th January 1921 in 11 Main Street, Dalmuir, Old Kirkpatrick, Dumbartonshire. He was a journeyman blacksmith and married Mary Chisholm, 7th July 1899 in Cardell Halls, Govan Road, Govan. They had at least five children:

Christina McLure (1900-1963)
Donald Grant (1901-1985)
Mary (1905-2002)
Ann Grant (1907-1997)
Elizabeth (1909-1975)

Donald Grant Sutherland was born 17th March 1873 in Knockally and died 31st May 1929 in Royal Asylum, Montrose age 55 years. He married Ann Sutherland on 4th December 1896 in Lybster.

That's about all I got, but now I know where the connection is (Janet b1817) I have a clearer idea of what to look for next time.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 October 09 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ostler,

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you but I have been snowed under with work and have not had a chance to get onto the site.

All this information is great and I will try and upload it during the weekend.  I think I will purchace more credits on Scottish People and get Certificates for all these people - just something I like to do.  Same as trying to get old maps and pics to upload onto ancestory site.

Once again many thanks for everything you are doing.

regards, Jim
McGregor, Sutherland

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 March 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm a few years late to this party But wanted to see how you made out, as I am a 5X great grandchild of Esther & John Sutherland, through their son Hugh 1813 - 1903.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 March 16 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi kshaw, I would love to hear what information you have on John, Esther, Hugh and their families.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 01 May 17 03:21 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of William Sutherland born 1781 died about 1861 and married to Elizabeth (Lilly) Mackay.  Their son, Benjamin, is recorded as born in Latheron, Caithness, in 1810.  He married Elizabeth Gunn in 1842 (daughter of John Gunn and Mary Sutherland).  Their daughter Lillias was my GG grandmother and she and a number of siblings came out to New Zealand and settled around Dunedin and Lawrence.
I am going to visit their home areas in June/July this year.
Keen to chat to any of the many 'cousins'.
Kerry Driscoll
Christchurch
New Zealand
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 May 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I don't think there's an immediate/obvious connection between the two of us but my family are also from Latheron. I've been up to visit the area every year for the last 10 years now so if you would like to go with someone as a guide then I'm happy to help if I can.

-O
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
That is a very kind offer.
Yes, thank you very much.  Always is good to talk with people who know places.

Much appreciated.
Kerry Driscoll
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 November 19 03:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi kezd
I am so a Sutherland researcher, I noticed you are connected to a William born 1781 in Halkirk. I also have a possible William born same year, do you know of any siblings and and his parents to help me rule him in or out.
Any help may be helpful
Regards Martin
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair