Author Topic: Sutherlands  (Read 26643 times)

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sutherlands
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Back onto the case as I seem to be drawing a blank on the Robert McGregor and Mary Sutherland.

All this information has come from a Great Aunt who unfortunately was more interested in the McGregor side of the family.  From her notes I have put together the following however, I can’t find a lot of the documentation. 

However, I have put together the following and hope I can get more from people on the site.  Forgive me I am a beginner.

Father – John Sutherland from Wick
Mother Janet Cormack again I think form Wick

Son William Sutherland b 12/11/1785       )
                ) Yes Twins
Daughter Esther Sutherland b12/11/1778  )

I think Esther Married a John Sutherland.

My Aunt left notes stating that Esther died in 2nd April 1855 and is buried at Grahd ? Berriedale she also wrote Dunbeath, Latheron.

They possibly had the following children:
1.   Alexander 1832
2.   George 1834
3.   Ann 1838
4.   Janet 1840
5.   James (Dec)
6.   Hugh 1844
7.   Robert 1846
8.   William 1848
9.   William (Dec)
All these notes are written as is:
(F) William Sutherland – farmer
(M) Ann Sutherland
(H) or (M) John Sutherland – Farmer

Can anyone help?

McGregor, Sutherland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Sutherlands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi James

By the look of what you have posted here, in the main, the notes you have inherited come from Esther Sutherland's 1855 death cert. 1855 was the first year of official registration in Scotland. For one year only, the entries ran over two pages of the register and included a wealth of additional info. By 1856, the entries has been cut down to one page.

So for deaths, they would include:

- spouse's details
- where the person had been born and how long they had lived at place where they died
- parents' details
- full list of children, inc. year of birth and year of any deaths
- details of where they were buried.

As you can see, this pretty much fits with what you have here.

The only bit I am not getting are the parent details for Esther at the beginning of your post as the names differ what looks to have been included on the cert.

The certificate is availble to view and download on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 21:26 BST (UK) »
Just realised also that the Esther showing as born in 1778 cannot be the same Esther having all those children up to late 1830s, it would be a fair age to be still having babies  ::)

You need to work on the details as showing on her death cert. The death cert will also include her age at death which will help you when looking for her birth and family.

Census info is a good way to go forward. Caithness is very well covered  by http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl  You need to make sure you click the right tab for census year at the top.

Monica

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

All the details I have are on the McGregor’s is typed.  The information on the Sutherlands is hand written and I don’t know what is what I am only assuming is correct my Aunt put this together years ago.

The notes on the children might not be hers (Esther)?  I was on SP but could not find her death cert only the birth cert for Esther and William.

Perhaps I am doing things wrong.  I have only just started this but love it – perhaps it is becoming a bit of an obsession lol

Any help you or any of the members is greatly appreciated.

Jim
McGregor, Sutherland

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Forgot to mention as you pointed out on my Aunt's notes she has put the age of death as 72

Jim
McGregor, Sutherland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
I think we are missing a generation down from Esther and it may well be Esther and John Sutherland's son or daughter who died in 1855. Without knowing all their children, it is hard to guess at this stage.

Someone has a tree on Ancestry for John and Esther. They have included the OPR image of Esther's birth, clearly showing as the twin of William to John S and Janet Cormack.

However, on this tree, they only show one daughter, Jessie who married a James McGregor (is this any connection with your McGregors?). Their  list of children don't match what you have from your G Aunt, so not Jessie's family.

Can I ask, which line up are you following? Might be a better way to work back given we are potentially missing a bit in the middle on your notes that you have inherited :)

Monica

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
think I might now know where I have gone wrong.  I have put the children down as 18... where as as  I have now got the record of death it the numbers at the side of the children are their age.

now that would make sence.

regards Jim
McGregor, Sutherland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:29 BST (UK) »
A few more trees. Pulling together the children they show to John and Eshter (assuming no other couple with those names):

Alexander b. 1810 m. Catherine Henderson - their children showing on Ancestry don't match your list
Donald b. 1812
Catherine b. 1816
Jessie b. 1818 m James McGregor - their children showing on Ancestry don't match your list
Isabella b. 1818

Monica

Offline jamesmatthews45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Is the OPR from Brown/matthews if so then it is my daughter who started this.  I will look further into this in the morning as yes this is the correct McGregors for me.

Jim
McGregor, Sutherland