Author Topic: William Thomas  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Lillytaff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Thomas
« on: Tuesday 13 October 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
I am looking for William Thomas, B. 1834 Trewalchmai, Anglesey

1871 Shows him living alone in Ebenezer, Caernarvon, occupation Tailor

After this nothing. He did have a younger brother living in Llanbeblig, Caernarvon in 1881

Any suggestions please? i have run out of ideas as to what happened to him

There is a William Thomas 1881 Census living in Liverpool  occupation Sail maker, and lodging with others from Caernarvon and a landlady from Anglesey

Lilly

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilly, are you sure the 1871 is the right one? Do you not have parents, siblings or children as any clues?

There are quite a few William Thomas born c1834 on the 1871 census.

Any more clues would help

Skewy

Offline Lillytaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 09 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Skewy

The William Thomas i am looking for was born 1834 Trewalchmai, Angelsey, eldest son of William and Mary Thomas who had eight sons, six of the sons were stonemasons like their father, but the eldest son William was a tailor in Trewalchmai in 1851 and 1861 living at home with his parents.

1871, no William Thomas, tailor in Anglesey, and no death, and no other William Thomas brn Trewalchmai or  tailor on Anglesey

I found William Thomas, Tailor brn 1835 Trewalchmai, Anglesey, living alone in Ebenezer, district Llanddeiniolen, Caernarvonshire.

I think this could by my William Thomas, when his parents married on Angelsey his fathers place of residence was Llanddeiniolen.

His youngest brother Hugh Thomas brn 1854 Trewalchmai, Anglesey was living in Llanbeblig, Caernarvon in 1881..

And their only sister married a sailor Robert Roberts brn Caernarvon 1852, i cannot find anything on him, too many Robert Roberts, i do know he died between 1897 and 1900.

It seems strange William Thomas a tailor from a family of stonemasons moved to Caernarvon and was living alone.

I am having problems with finding  three other family members who i just have a hunch died in Caernarvon. I am sure there is one link which i need to find and it will knock down a few brick walls.

Thank you for replying

Lilly

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 09 23:50 BST (UK) »

Hi Lilly, your 1871 find says born Gwalchmai, which is a good few miles away from Trewalchmai. It does seem unusual though, for two tailors with the same name born so close and the same year.
I'll look again tomorrow.

Skewy.

Offline Lillytaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 09 10:04 BST (UK) »

Hi Lilly, your 1871 find says born Gwalchmai, which is a good few miles away from Trewalchmai. It does seem unusual though, for two tailors with the same name born so close and the same year.
I'll look again tomorrow.

Skewy.

Hi Skewy

Thanks for this, i did not know Trewalchmai and Gwalchmai were several miles apart. Thought it was the same place!

Lilly

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 October 09 10:29 BST (UK) »

Lilly, I'm only going on the Google Earth map for that distance.
It is  amazing how people can just drop off the scheme of things, but if it were easy it might not be so much fun searching.

It seems Trewalchmai is not a village but a Chapelry?, containg the villages of Cemas-Coed and Gwalchmai.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/AGY/Trewalchmai/index.html

Skewy

Offline Lillytaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 October 09 22:26 BST (UK) »
Skewy

I am grateful for this info, i will check all my records and see if i have made this error with other members of this family, it may explain why i have not been able to find  younger brother in this family, i have been looking for him for over three years!

Lilly

Offline carolthomasburns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 October 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Trewalchmai is the old name for Gwalchmai ...... told to me by a lady who works in the Records office in Llangefni ....