Author Topic: Margaret Fisher or Fisher Family of Westmeath  (Read 27580 times)

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Fisher or Fisher Family of Westmeath
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 November 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
John Thomas Roberts was born in 1827 London, Oxfordshire, I believe he sailed to Australia via the Barque Sarah which departed Plymouth August 26th 1849 and arrived December 15 1849 Port Jackson, Sydney (I am waiting for the paperwork but the evidence I have found on ancestry.com seem to confirm this), He married Margaret Fisher on the 10th  October 1855 in St Mary’s Cathedral Sydney, they soon moved from Sydney to Woolshed Creek, Beechworth where they had 8 children he then moved to Marrar, Wagga Wagga and died on the 5th March 1894 (he died of apoplexy)

New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896
Ship = Sarah

John Roberts aged 23yrs, baker and farm labourer. Last address was in Burford Oxfordshire. His parents are listed as William and Rebecca Elizabeth. It also says father living in Somerstown at that time. Summertown is apparently an Ecclesiastical parish in Oxfordshire. Religion Church of England.

Have found the family in 1841 in Oxfordshire and John is listed as 10years old and he has a younger sister Rebecca aged 4 years. Fathers occupation a baker.
all stated as born in Oxfordshire.

1851 sees Rebecca as married but husband not there, shes born Blandford Poull, Oxfordshire c 1797. Also in household daughter Rebecca 13yrs and born
St. Andrew, Oxfordshire, another daughter called Elizabeth 28yrs and born Coombe Oxfordshire and Charles Bolton 7yrs a nephew, born Berkshire.
HO107; Piece: 1727; Folio: 443; Page: 4; = Oxford St. Giles

Both William and Rebecca are together in 1861

William born c1797 in Kidlington Oxfordshire and Rebecca is now down as born in Cornbury Park Oxon,William is a commercial traveller.

I have very little research on Margaret Fisher as I have been predominately researching John Thomas Roberts. I consequently have copies of a lot of Death certificates if your interested for the Roberts side

Brock NSW  ;D

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 November 09 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Would Lexia Schulz be a child of Nancy Elizabeth Roberts and Bernard Dawson Shulz? one of three children?

Offline mareva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Fisher and husband John Roberts.
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 November 09 10:12 GMT (UK) »
I think John Roberts was born about 1826 to parents Francis Roberts and Grace. Francis was born Devoport and Grace was born Cornwall. she was born Grace Jasper which ties in with John giving Jasper as a middle name to a child here in Australia., and to naming his daughter Frances Grace (she was my g grandmother) John's brother migrated to USA.
The Roberts family liveda family story a long time back, and recorded that John was a ship's captain.I ghave a copy of his writings.
John's father Francis Roberts had been a ship's captain too, on the Ajax.

from Cassandra
Chapmans of Finchingfield
Dunnetts of Peterborough
Fernyhough of Lichfield
Snodgrass from Paisley
Hedger from Sussex
Holmes from Netheravon

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 November 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible we could exchange email's and information?

I thought I was on the right trail however your information seems quite accurate and you seem confident of you research and you have me doubting myself  :o

I have to admit that the Frances and Jasper fits in with the names of his children like you said.

I have pretty much just been tracing the Roberts name from myself back through the family

Brock Andrew Roberts Me
Donald Valmore Francis Roberts Dad
Donald Henry Roberts Grandad
Francis Henry Roberts G-Grandad
Francis Henry Roberts G-G Grandad
John Thomas Roberts G-G-G Grandad

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 November 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Email address cannot be posted online here but you can use PM (personal message) system to exchange personal details like email addresses.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mareva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 November 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the helpful comments from the moderator. Your time and input is greatly appreciated.
Cassandra
Dunnetts of Peterborough
Fernyhough of Lichfield
Snodgrass from Paisley
Hedger from Sussex
Holmes from Netheravon

Offline mareva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Fisher or Fisher Family of Westmeath
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 November 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Yahoo! It looks like your gg grandfather Francis Henry is the brother of my g grandmother Frances Grace. They lived in the Wagga area of western NSW.

The story written by John T Robert's  grandson Mervyn tells of how he came to Victoria as the captain of a boat bringing gold seekers. When his crew jumped ship, he went mining himself. At first he did quite well with his prospecting. He later obtained land at Marrar under a land grant, sometime after 1873 near Wagga and built a homestead he named Home Dale. There were financial hardships for sometime, but they coped.

He collapsed whilst buildng a post and rail fence and died shortly after, 1894.

I have sent you a personal message so, hopefully, we can exchange further information.

Cassandra
Dunnetts of Peterborough
Fernyhough of Lichfield
Snodgrass from Paisley
Hedger from Sussex
Holmes from Netheravon

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cassandra,

I have sent my email to you via PM, I have a few certificates which I hope might help you out as soon as I get you email I'll send them on.

Brock

Offline clare16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Fisher or Fisher Family of Westmeath
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 September 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
A wonderful account of Margaret Fisher surfaced yesterday... it was an account of her written by her grandson, Mervyn, a wonderful researcher, many years ago. It passed down through the fmaily and I was given a copy yesterday.
It indicates:
Margaret Fisher was born in 1831 at Athlone
She remembers as a small child, living with her mother and sister Mary in a cottage on the Estate of Lord Castlemaine.  (Moydrum Castle was the family manor, in its grounds) She remembered her mother as being attractive, dainty, fond of pretty clothes and with a charming manner.
He rmother died of TB in her early 20s and Margaret and Mary were taken into a convent by nuns. They were educated. Margaret was trained as a housekeeper and Mary trained as a governess.
Housekeeper training was more important than it sounds... it involved gaining skills in managing a large house, hiring firing and training staff, purchasing, arranging for meals. In their mid teens they were shipped to Sydney. Margaret became a housekeeper to a wealthy family. She was happy there. She met and married John Roberts in 1855. They spent some time in the Vict goldfields and later settled at Marrer near Wagga..  Her husband John died unexpectedly in 1894 and Margaret continued to work the property with her sons
Sometime before her death she suffered a stroke which deprived her of speech and left her unable to walk properly. She lived with her son Frank, and each day she was seated in a large chair near the fire, where she could see what was happening. Her granddaughters would dress her . At age 82 she had another stroke, which was fatal.
Interesting!
from Mareva