Author Topic: Margaret Fisher or Fisher Family of Westmeath  (Read 27577 times)

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Fisher or Fisher Family of Westmeath
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 October 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
Nipy my friend you are a legend!

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 October 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Here's the link for 1911 census although I can't see a Henry Fisher in Westmeath either-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

hmmm I looked and found Henry Fisher in Ballymaglaff, Down not so sure that it was her father as he was only 18 at the time. Back to the drawing board  :P

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 October 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again Thorgils,sorry I didn't get back to you sooner (only just seen you reply) Really glad it's got you on a hunting trail. Will have a scout around to see if I can see any more leads----can I ask did Margaret's parents also go to Australia? --regards Nipy

It appears that she traveled there on her own I have not found any information regarding her family immigrating, she was born in 1831 and traveled to Australia at some point of which she married John Thomas Roberts my G-G-G Grandfather in 10th October 1855 in Sydney Australia @ St Mary Cathedral

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 October 09 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry Folks --old Nipy has confused everyone again----when I mentioned the 1911 census ---what I was meaning to get across was there isn't many Fisher's living in Westmeath at that time, there was only one I could see ( & that was a widow woman)---Regards old Dippy Nipy

Offline Thorgils

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 October 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
5 matches for the search criteria: Fisher (plus variants) Margaret 1827-1835
Action   Source   Surname   First Name   Year   County   
   Church Baptism    Fisher    Margaret Anne    1827    Co. Derry   
   Church Baptism    Fisher    Margaret    1829    Co. Cavan   
   Church Baptism    Fisher    Margaret    1829    Co. Cavan   
   Church Baptism    Fisher    Margaret    1830    Co. Cork   
   Church Baptism    Fisher    Margaret    1830    Co. Cork   

Seems that there is some confusion on her DOB looks like I might have to invest and buy her death certificate and hope that it has the more detailed information I want.

No confusion Nipy just Thorgils not reading carefully before going on a wild goose chase

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 October 09 12:27 BST (UK) »
Back again!! what I have noticed on the IFHF site , there is one family with the father's name Henry living in the Athlone area but the time scale is well out!! he has a daughter Margaret born 1846,son John b. 1848,daughter Mary b.1850---I think hunt around the area of Tyreallspass/Newtown--as you say back to the drawing board---Nipy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 October 09 13:02 BST (UK) »
Just keep in mind that all pre-registration church records (such as baptisms) might not survive or that a particular database might not have indexed all available records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again been looking around for any signs of Fisher families in the Westmeath area , I found another mention of  a William Fisher 1800 living at Baylin which I'm sure is Mount Temple area between Moate & Athlone---so there was some Fisher's around that area in 1800's,Thorgils I'll send you a PM on the article I found---regards Nipy

Offline mareva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 November 09 05:17 GMT (UK) »
J have also beeen researching Margaret Fisher and her sister Mary. This is what I have compiled so far...
John Thomas was born in 1827, and died 5 March 1894, aged 67.
According to Lexia Schulz,  he  came to Australia with his brother William on the David McIvor (McIver) in 1853, when he was 26.
But His grandson wrote that John Thomas Roberts was the captain of a ship to the goldfields. his crew jumped ship and he was stranded here. I have the births of their various children in Victoria
e  married Margaret Fisher on the 10th  October, 1855 in St Mary’s Roman Catholic Cathedral Sydney.

Mary was born in 1832 in Athlone , Westmeathe, Ireland. She came to Australia on the Tippoo Saib (also spelt Sahib / Sail) which left Plymouth in April 1850 and arrived in Sydney on 29th July. She was 18 at the time, and came with her 16 year old sister Mary.  They were the  daughters of Henry and Margaret Fisher who were both dead, possibly as a result of the potato famine. Margaret and Mary were some of the famous Irish Orphans. The Tippoo Sahib  left Plymouth 8/4/1850 with 249 immigrants, many of them young orphan girls, under Captain Morphen. They were not required to pay the £4.00 fare.

How does this match with your research?  from Cassandra NSW
Chapmans of Finchingfield
Dunnetts of Peterborough
Fernyhough of Lichfield
Snodgrass from Paisley
Hedger from Sussex
Holmes from Netheravon