Author Topic: Thomas Byrne - Connected to Donnellys of Dublin  (Read 9932 times)

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
  • My grandma, Ann Duggan (nee Keating)
    • View Profile
Thomas Byrne - Connected to Donnellys of Dublin
« on: Thursday 15 October 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
During searches online for Glasnevin Cemetery, I came across this person buried in a grave with some of my ancestors. I don't think they're a relative but seeing as I had to pay to see the record I thought I might as well share it

-------------------------------

Thomas Byrne of 2 Henrietta Place, Dublin

Date of death: 3rd May 1910

Buried at Glasnevin
Letter: JF
Figures: 38
Section: St. Pauls

Record Number: 328267
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Duggan (Dublin and also Cork on another side of the family)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Langstaff (married in Dublin but no idea where from originally)
Moriarty (Cavan but moved to Dublin at some stage)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Byrne
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Out of interest I looked up Henrietta Place on the 1911 census and found a Thomas Byrne living with Patrick McKenna and his family. He was 31 and described as a brother-in-law. The house number on the Census abstract is 1.8 but the actual number was No.2.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gavdonnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
Alicat84,

I was just going through all the Dublin threads and the Thomas Byrne name rings a bell. I was tracing my family tree and although I know I wrote Thomas Byrne's name down i can't find it in my files. I think he was the grave of my ancestors. The Donnelly's. I've looked up the grave details of my great grandfather Thomas Donnelly and it's exactly the same as the one you listed.

Is thomas Donnelly your ancestor, if he is maybe we could share some information.

Gavin Donnelly

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 00:42 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the grave I looked in. Now this was last year so I'm just looking back through my notebook to see what I wrote.

My great grandfather and my great great grandfather were named Thomas Donnelly. I don't think either of my Thomas Donnellys were the one in this grave though. When I posted that message there was a possibility they were my ancestors after seeing the information on the Glasnevin website but after a trip out to the cemetery and seeing the graves I decided they weren't.

However, I never discounted the thought that they may indeed still be relatives somehow. I have found very little information on my Donnelly's. That side of the family have been absolutely terrible for remembering any old family details and I've hit a brick wall with them. Perhaps if we share the info we both have, we might find a connection?
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Gavdonnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Ye it might not be them but I'll tell you some of the names I have, maybe they might match up.

My Great Grandfather Thomas Donnelly was born 17.11.1892 (This is the grave you were looking at). He had brothers Michael, Peter & Anthony and sisters Margaret, Christina, mary, Ellen, Kate, Lily & lena. He was married to Ellen Rigney or she sometimes used Ellen Deegan. Thomas fought in the war of independence and recieved a medal for active duty. He was also a survivor of the Leinster Boat disaster I think in 1918.

His Fathers name was Michael Donnelly (Married to Margaret Farrell) and his fathers name was Thomas Donnelly.

His kids were Thomas, Michael and Emmet. Alma Frances, Sheila, May, June, Maura, Jodie and Antoinette. This Thomas is my grandfather.

All the these Donnellys are pretty much buried in Glasnevin. My Grandfather Thomas, his father Thomas and his father Michael. Still haven't found out much about Michael's father Thomas.

Anyway, hope that helps

Gavin Donnelly

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
I thought Lena was a name in the family but after checking with my Nana it wasn't on the Donnelly's.

Can I ask have you had much luck finding certs for Donnelly's in Dublin? Most of my information I have from the census, and can't seem to find a lot of certs for marriages, births or deaths. Do you have a birth date/cert for Michael Donnelly, Thomas' father?

Ali
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Gavdonnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 10 18:54 BST (UK) »

I've got a birth cert and marriage cert for Thomas Donnelly and  I got a marraige cert for Michael Donnelly, that's where i got his fathers name from. I also found all the graves in Glasnevin. Michael's too.

The only thing I haven't got is a birth cert for Michael Donnelly.

According to the 1911 census which I think was recorded in April of that year, Michael was 40 and was orignially from Dublin city. I wrote to the  GRO in Roscommon looking for his birth cert and gave an approx date for his birth, say between 1869 - 1872 and they couldn't find anything. After I got his marriage cert I wrote again with his fathers name and they still couldn't find anything. So my only hope is going to the National Library to see if I can find a baptism in one of the Churches in Dublin. Probably the Church of St Andrew on Westland Row where they got married.

I searched the following website and I couldn't find anything there either.

www.irishgeneaolgy.ie/index.html

Whenever I get the chance for a day off I'm going to go up to Dublin and have a good search in the National Library

Gavin

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 April 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
I have been meaning to go on the same hunt as you. Just waiting for a good run of time off!

I'll just give you and brief rundown of my Donnellys in case you happen to see any of them on your search, and I'll do the same for yours.

Thomas Donnelly (b. circa 1868)   --------m--------       Josephine Donnelly (nee ?)
                                                          |
                                                          |

According to the 1911 census, they are living on Pembroke Street. Thomas Sr and Josephine Sr. had 7 kids, but only 4 were alive at the time. Hopefully I might find out more with the release of the 1901 census online.

Thomas Jr. and Josephine Jr. had 6 or 7 kids, one of whom was my grandfather Gerard. I know only two names of his siblings, Michael and Greta.

Thomas Senior owned a fruit and veg shop on Cuffe St in Dublin, more info on here, with a photo http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,405489.0.html. He was also a Motorman at one stage and apparently ran a hotel in Ballsbridge. There's a photo of him in that thread above of him with Indian Tea Merchants.

Thomas Junior was a photographer.

William and Joseph were listed as 'Messengers' in 1911 but I have a photo of William (date 1923) at the 'Grand Canal St. Branch, N.U.R., Annual Excursion to Avoca', but I don't know the story behind the photo.

Anyway, I'll let you know if I find anything and maybe there might be a connection further down the line :)

Ali

Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)

Offline Alicat84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 April 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Also the graves of your family members that I looked at, I took photos when I was at Glasnevin so if you haven't been up to the graveyard or would just like to see them, let me know.
Coyne (Dublin)
Donnelly (Dublin)
Higgins (Dublin)
Hyland (Dublin)
Keating (Cork)
Keely (Dublin)
Killackey (Tipperary)
Treacy (Tipperary)
Waters (Tipperary)