Author Topic: Wireless Broadband Hackers  (Read 8079 times)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Broadband Hackers
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 22 October 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
There is one alternative, the one I currently use.

When we went wireless there was one computer in the house running Windows 98 so I could not use encryption.

On Netgears you can secure the wireless by only allowing specific MAC addresses. It may allow someone to snoop on what you are doing on your network but they cannot make use of your broadband ... well actually there is a way but it takes quite an effort.

I actually find this setup quite useful. I have several young adults living here and I know very well that if our setup was password protected the password would very quickly be distributed amongst their friends.  ::)

I can even grant access to my neighbor's laptop only, a mutual agreement we have in case of line failures.

It's quite easy to set up if you are interested.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 October 09 20:21 BST (UK) »
There is one alternative, the one I currently use.

When we went wireless there was one computer in the house running Windows 98 so I could not use encryption.

On Netgears you can secure the wireless by only allowing specific MAC addresses. It may allow someone to snoop on what you are doing on your network but they cannot make use of your broadband ... well actually there is a way but it takes quite an effort.

I actually find this setup quite useful. I have several young adults living here and I know very well that if our setup was password protected the password would very quickly be distributed amongst their friends.  ::)

I can even grant access to my neighbor's laptop only, a mutual agreement we have in case of line failures.

It's quite easy to set up if you are interested.

Paul
I agree. We use MAC Access Control in conjunction with WEP on our Sitecom wireless access point.

Graham

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 October 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
I hope you both know how easily MAC addresses can be "spoofed" !

http://www.klcconsulting.net/Change_MAC_w2k.htm
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 22 October 09 22:50 BST (UK) »

Speaking for myself, of course I do. Please read earlier posts again - one word - Likelihood.

I also know how easily IP addreses can be spoofed - a lot easier than trying to find out if a wireless connection first of all exists and then can be hacked.

This is getting to be boring. If you wish to persist in your stance please provide the real evidence to back it up that you were asked to provide in questions you were asked previously.

Graham

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 October 09 08:56 BST (UK) »

Speaking for myself, of course I do. Please read earlier posts again - one word - Likelihood.

I also know how easily IP addreses can be spoofed - a lot easier than trying to find out if a wireless connection first of all exists and then can be hacked.

This is getting to be boring. If you wish to persist in your stance please provide the real evidence to back it up that you were asked to provide in questions you were asked previously.

Graham

If you find this boring, then kindly be advised that replies are not mandatory.

I take computer security as seriously as the security of my house.  I live in a low crime area, but I do not work on the assumption that because I do, then it's quite OK to secure my doors and windows with sellotape and string, which is the equivalent to MAC filtering and WEP in the computer world.

You are free to choose what you want, but it is both irresponsible and foolhardy to hand out this sort of advice to those who are not as "knowledgeable" as you claim to be.

I will always provide advice which will provide the best protection available, and I make no apologies for that.  And the proof you desire is quite easily obtained by the simple use of Google - I don't have the time or the inclination to do this for you.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 October 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
I will always provide advice which will provide the best protection available, and I make no apologies for that.  And the proof you desire is quite easily obtained by the simple use of Google - I don't have the time or the inclination to do this for you.

The best protection is not to use a wireless network at all but if someone wishes to use wireless then they have to work within the parameters of the device they have. With a device which cannot be upgraded to use WPA the only options are to use the security which it offers or to replace it - and the latter may not be an option for people with restricted budgets.

In our case the signal from our wireless hub can be picked up within a limited range due to its positioning in the building. That area (I've walked round outside to test it) is restricted to nine other buildings and the roadway. I've known the occupants of the buildings for several years and know that they are trustworthy. Some don't even own computers.

That leaves the roadway where someone might conceivably drive up and park for the purposes of finding a wireless network to hack into. Given the nature of the area the likelihood of that happening is very low. Consequently, the risk can be managed by use of WEP/MAC Access Control.

That's why I said last Saturday:
Like everything else it all depends on the risk of somebody trying to break in. If the risk where you live is high then of course you need the highest level of security - but if the risk is low then extra security doesn't have to be number one on the to do list.
Protection, whether doors & windows, wireless networks or whatever, needs to be adequate for the assessed risk - which isn't necessarily top of the range in all circumstances. That is not irresponsible or foolhardy, it is practical.

Graham

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 October 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
The way I see it:

If my wireless network is completely open it's like leaving the back door of your house open. Anyone on my street could just walk in and use it. For me - a big no-no.

Any security, be it trivial, easy or hard to crack, is better than none.

Whatever security you choose, a proficient hacker who needs to get into your network will get in.

The balance you must find for yourself.

WEP - Can be hacked easily.

WPA - More difficult.

MAC Address - Can be spoofed ... but how would they find out what MAC address to spoof?

Disable wireless - Secure but, for me, a little ott.

Each has its merits but I would certainly recommend at least one of these and, in a commercial environment, as many as possible.

Paul

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 24 October 09 08:51 BST (UK) »

MAC Address - Can be spoofed ... but how would they find out what MAC address to spoof?

The same way that they hack WEP - use a "packet sniffer". 

I agree with what you say, but I think you've understated the difference between WEP and WPA security.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 24 October 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
I agree with what you say, but I think you've understated the difference between WEP and WPA security.

I am sure you are right Nick. I am no expert. There seems to be quite a sliding scale with WEP at the very bottom, WPA better, WPA2 better still and, for the future, 802.11i and then there's AES etc.

I think my point stands, anything is much better than nothing even WEP.

Paul